Final Fantasy VI On Android Is Pricey and Looks Rather Peculiar

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

One alternative is the Wii Virtual Console...

Square Enix is a publisher that's made a significant push on smart devices, often standing apart due to its willingness to release some of its biggest franchises at premium prices, clearly resisting the ongoing race to the bottom. The latest case in point is Final Fantasy VI — commonly known on the Super NES in the West as Final Fantasy III — though the developer's decisions for the Android release are certainly intriguing.

Pricing is one thing, with Google Play listing the game at £10.99 / $14.99, which is easily at the top end of game prices on the platform. This version does include new content from the 2006 remake and the usual tweaked controls to suit touch screens, but most notably "painstakingly recreated" new visuals that were supervised by one of the original game's designers, Kazuko Shibuya. We imagine these will be a sticking point for retro gamers and fans of the franchise. There are examples (all via Eurogamer) above and below.

What do you think of these changes to the visual style? Alternative versions are everywhere, of course, with the Super NES iteration available on the Wii Virtual Console for 900 Nintendo Points, while Japan has already received the title on the Wii U Virtual Console for the equivalent of around $8.60USD. Is the original 16-bit version, with those lovely pixels, the more desirable choice, or do you dig the new design? Sound off in the comments below.

[via play.google.com, eurogamer.net]

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

While I do loathe the new sprites with a passion, I am not entirely against the idea of a new, better translation...

It's not shown in any of the screenshots here, but the new art shown during conversations isn't too bad; it looks similar to the style of classic FF box art.

That being said, the version of FF VI I already own for my PSX will be more than enough for me.

jimmyloo78

jimmyloo78 said:

That has to be the first art style I have ever seen. The original game looks fine why bother changing it just so that it's new, while the end product is worse? It's just like ace attorney hd on ios... pfffffffff

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

As usual, the "recreated" graphics look more like "we made them bigger and added filters" but hey, that's ok with me as long as the cgame controls right!

cough*FFV*cough

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Sticking with the cheaper, true version on the Wii Virtual Console - hope we get it in NA eventually to upport.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I don't really have an opinion about the visuals. As for the price, mobile gamers are the loudest whiners I know if a game cost more than 2 and 99/100 of the local currency, so I love a publisher refusing to rush to the bottom. If it can be found elsewhere, that doesn't mean 15 is too high; it might just not be the best deal.

Ronoh

Ronoh said:

Square-Enix continues its destruction of the Final Fantasy brand.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

The new version characters aren't to my liking. Not that they are bad, it is just that the originals looked better.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

This smoothing filter has to be the worst thing a 16bit game has to endure :D Man, it just looks ugly.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

If it can get the series more popular with the"casual" crowd more power to them. No excuse for them to screw it up like this though.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Eh, I'd just get the PS1 version on PSN if I ever want this game. The art style simply don't look as good as the other versions, plus its cheaper on both the Wii Shop and PSN.

Kmno

Kmno said:

If they bothered to make a remake in the vein of the PSP releases of I, II and IV then it would look amazing but this? This is garbage, I can't believe they screwed up V and IV, they are my favourites.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

The sprites don't feel like they fit the background. I don't know it just has this feeling like they're slapped on top of an image and not actually part of the game.

ACK

ACK said:

The PS1 version is bad, guys. The loading is absolutely atrocious. Just a heads up.

The original or Wii VC versions are the definitive iterations. GBA release has downgraded music.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

Meh, Square has been dead-to-me since the merger with Enix. I haven't bought anything from them since Final Fantasy X and I don't plan on starting now.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ACK Too many parts off the story that don't make sense in the censored US version. A retranslated version of the original Super Famicom one would be definitive. Do the loading problems happen on e.g the PS3 (Or using the original disk on a computer emulator). The American version (III) cost me £80 in total to import when it came out and it was totally worth it but it is spoilt by the hap hazard pointless censorship. (The Edgar bit it is definitely not glorifying it in any way).

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Notice how the player characters are in a different perspective to before. Need to get an idea of what I mean? Look at their feet for racing left/right sprites. You can only see one foot while in the SNES version you can see both feet.

The problem is how inconsistent everything looks (on the world map towns are now polygon models, some scenes have a mix of redrawn graphics with lazy upscaling, the floating continent is a prime example). The player characters are particularly out of place though.

What is funny is a few years ago people were complaining about bad FFIV looked on the PSP but have now come to the conclusion that looks far better than the original and this style.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@ACK I'd second this, the original is still the best to me (at least the original SFC version). It's too bad about the GBA sound capabilities in general. There were a lot GBA games with great music (the Castlevanias, etc), but the scratchy sampled sounds really hurt a lot of soundtracks, including the FF games.

Regarding these Android/iOS ports, I think they really kill the original spirit of the games. They show just how aimless FF is today both artistically and in terms of gameplay. It's all over the map, which really describes all of Square Enix for the last generation or two.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@TruenoGT The ones that were ported from the DS I think are fine. Other than they don't support controllers. (Most Sega or Dotemu and indie stuff does).

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Aren't these new sprites following the trend of the PSP remakes? Or has there been some stylistic change from those remakes that I can't spot? (Legit question, I haven't played the others in yonks.)

Nobody complained about the sprites on the other remakes, most people loved them. Rose-tinted glasses for VI, I think.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't think £11 is a bad price for this game they have put some effort in. (Same reason I am more willing to pay for the Sega 3D Classics.)

Gunblade_Hero

Gunblade_Hero said:

Lazy graphics, instead of having the work to fully recreate the game in 3D they just took the original sprites as inspiration and made it much worse..

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Mario_maniac. Can we embed imagines in comments? Well here are some links to the PSP FFIV screenshots:

As you can see the player character sprites are not the same style. The style that these are following is akin to Final Fantasy Dimensions and the recent mobile FFV release. FF Dimensions had a low budget feel all around (similar to after years, it was a port of an older mobile game) and FFV was largely hated (the meteorite image where the graphics used don't loop properly is a prime example) outside of the monster graphics.

FarukoSH

FarukoSH said:

I dont think $16 is expensive/pricey if we take into account that pretty much every game nowadays cost around $100 dollars for the full experience...

Ill gladly pat $16 for... that, then 100 dollars for the full BF4 game which is going to be around 5 months and im still waiting for a stable version, on the PC at least.

felix330

felix330 said:

The new graphics look awful. They could have redone the original sprites with the same style but an upscaled resolution. Instead, they now look like a generic smartphone game. The interface look pretty bad too.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

This is a violation of style. Improving visuals is one thing, but removing the charm is the mistake SquareEnix just won't realize.

ACK

ACK said:

@unrandomsam Yeah, the same loading issues exist on the PSN version. I believe it's simply emulated, warts and all. When I was little, my mom's ex-boyfriend took all my games and pawned them. Losing FF6 hurt bad because I was 3/4 through it. Years later I excitedly coughed up a few months' allowance for FF Anthology (the PS1 version of FF6)... Sadly, it just made the loss all the more painful.

@TruenoGT: That's why I live in constant, daily fear that Square is going to announce a FF7 remake... Given their total lack of artistic sensibility, I find it a terrifying prospect.

Anclation

Anclation said:

It looks hideous.

I'll stick with my Virtual Console version, and Bravely Default and its sequel are probably the only SE games I'll be willing to pay full price for these next few years.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I think the art style looks terrible. I really don't like it. I'll stick with the original, thanks.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I was never a big fan of the artstyle on FFV and that opinion stays the same with FFVI. While it is my favorite FF game it is just too price (like all SE games on the android store).

If it was €5 each for IV, V and VI then I may have bought them but €15 is too much for a mobile game even if you are getting great value for it.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

It would be an exaggeration to say those screenshots look awful; they really don't. That said, give me 16-bit sprites any day.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The thing about the 16 bit ones is part of the shading only works on a CRT. Updating the sprites is time consuming and expensive to do it properly. (There again I would have rather had a really great 3DS version of this than Bravely Default - Same with Dragon Quest VII.)

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

I think I'd prefer the darker presentation of the original, but for the price I'd want new graphics and can just rely on nostalgia. New players can go back and replay the original I guess, so good enough.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I'm alright with the presentation except for the menus. They make the game look like it was made in RPG Maker.

xevious

xevious said:

I just find the idea of playing Final Fantasy on a telephone ridiculous, and yes, it looks like crap. NEXT!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@xevious My tablet has a better screen than my 3DS XL. More processing power so it can run everything at 60fps and supports usb controllers using a £1 cable. How can that be worse ? Especially for multiplatform stuff nothing is worse than the 3DS when they try and run the exact same game on everything.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm ok w/ the graphics, the sprites look like Colorform stickers on their cheap cardboard background box (my childhood nostalgia) but the menu font is hideous. It's like Win 3.1 default on a 640 x 480 screen. Which I guess explains it on phones.

I own this on the PS Anthology but it's not ringing any bells, possibly I never actually played it all the way thru after I finished V. Currently on Amazon for $16.99 for anybody who owns a PS, PS2 or PS3.

Though I'ld recommend Chronicles (Chrono Trigger and IV) instead.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Wonder if it supports the buttons on the Nvidia Shield (Which works at 60fps now and actually has some use when it is not within 10m of the console like the Wii U gamepad). Or the Ouya. The support up to now from Square Enix for physical controls (Other than the Ouya Final Fantasy III that I know about) is a sticking point though. One of those HDMI mini Android Systems if everything supported the controls would be worth it. (Better classic stuff on Android than 3DS and sometimes the Android versons work better like - there is no lag in Metal Slug X on MVS difficulty for example or they are the Arcade versions (Double Dragon Trilogy / R-Type or much newer than Nintendo/Sega sees fit to release (Jet Set Radio)).

ACK

ACK said:

@rjejr Don't allow loading to weasel into your classic gaming. Those PS1 versions are the worst way to play those classic Square RPGs. They have loading before every fight. What's that equate to--something like 5 seconds of loading every 10-20 seconds of running around in the fields? Gross.

Oh, and you are probably the first person on a Nintendo fan site to claim FF6 doesn't "ring any bells". Sometimes there is nothing to say other than offer congrats. Congratulations.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ACK Does e.g PS3 downloads still have those loading issues ? (I don't remember any of the few psone games I bought for the Xperia Play having any of those problems.)

Is the story the original uncensored vision (Same as the Japanese original Super Famicom version).

ACK

ACK said:

@unrandomsam Yes to loading issues. I also remember significant slowdown in the PS1 version, as well. As far as I'm aware, the PSN dowload runs exactly the same.

The story is an edited version of the NA translation. No real major changes/fixes, if I recall (Biggs is restored). The biggest benefit to the PS1 version are the uncensored sprites. I don't think the censorship was anything significant (the final boss perhaps being most noteworthy along with some skimpier outfits), but that's definitely one benefit.

The original FF Anthology disc did come with a soundtrack, though. Missing many key tracks, of course...

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

I don't really care if they redid the visuals and made them all soft and fluffy over the sprites on all previous releases, but the asking price is a punch to the nuts. I hope people don't just fanboy out and buy this at the going rate. Square does sales throughout the year usually taking 1/2 off the top. I grabbed FF4 that way for $7 and that still to me for a digital download is a medium/high end level as it is. I can't see the justification and even if they claim retranslated yet again, who cares, was it not good enough the other 3 times?

crazycrazydave

crazycrazydave said:

That last screenshot looks absolutely mince. It's looks like it's a glitch it's that bad. Not that the others are any better. And yes, the virtual console is a much better alternative.

Bazly

Bazly said:

I think the main reason why they redo the graphics like this is so that it will look vibrant on smaller phones, which is ironic considering these games lag on those devices.

While I am not a fan of the redone graphics (or the graphics of their Android games in general cough*Dimensions*cough great game but it also looks like this) FF6 IS my favourite game of all time, so naturally I had no choice but to purchase this release. There are quite a few things about it I like:

1) Having it portable is really nice. That's the main downside to the Virtual Console version for me, no portability. The only other portable option would be to have the PS1 version on the PSP or Vita, which I do, but the PS1 version doesn't have the benefits I'm about to mention.

2) A lot of the new control features are, in my opinion, fantastic. First off, as much as I love this game, it is a game with a lot of "sequences" that require a lot of timing and button pushing. It's kind of nice that during those sequences, a button appears on your screen that is specifically for that event (team switching, airship controls, etc). Not that these were AWFUL in the original, but it is a nice change that keeps me focused. It could be distracting to accidentally hit the wrong button and switch parties.

I LOVE the 8 directional walking option. It just makes so much sense. Even in the original, there were cut scenes where sprites moved diagonally, but players were unable to. It's a welcome addition for me!

THE MAGIC MENUS. When you open up your character's "magic" screen, the magic is sorted into separate windows by type! It's absolutely wonderful. (Except, I suppose, if you use the "active" feature in battle, then it might be a bit cumbersome for you.)

And just in general I like the look of the new battle menu, with the character action boxes acting as their own active time bars. It's nice that you don't have to hit a button to switch to a different character whose AT bar is full - all are accessible to you and it allows for much faster strategizing.

Just a few pros I saw! Again, I agree that the graphics aren't great, but it's yet another way to play FF6. That's something we don't have enough of!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Worst just don't describe how awful this having bought it and played the Narshe mines part it is absolutely pitiful. (It has about 1/4 of the needed frames of animation.)

JustinH

JustinH said:

@unrandomsam I was speaking more about the graphics. Those aren't perfect in the literal sense either, but I wouldn't change one thing about them (or the music).

okamiki

okamiki said:

Well I think store should have more games at these prices. It is this business model that will start to change the gaming as we know...

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

And goodness Nintendo life is so biased say I didn't have a Wii or ps3 you suspect me to buy a system just to buy a JRPG? This is not supposed to please US Nintendo gamers (why this article is up on here is beyond me and shame to the writer as it seemed they're searching for something to end the horrible News drought) its meant to please MOBILE GAMERS someone who might not happen to have a GBA SNES PS1 WII PS3 and just so happens to have a IPhone or android if this was meant to please US it would have been announced for 3DS or Wii U up until that point however this article and all comments are unnecessary ;)

demonroach

demonroach said:

I would think that Square's most famous game in history would get its BEST treatment.

I was wrong.

Polaris

Polaris said:

People are probably more likely to seek illegal courses of action to acquire the game rather than pay that much. I dislike high prices for old games as well. I won't be looking for this one.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Just curious, will you guys ever have a sister site for smart device gaming?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

MAN that looks bugly. I actually had a dream last night that Google banned it from the Google Play store & forced Squeenix to release a copy of FF VI as it's supposed to look like but with touch controls & they did... I just checked the Google Play store & it was just a dream...

MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla said:

Well, I’m certainly not buying this.
Even though the GBA version has downgraded music, the bug fixes and translation make over make it my favorite version of this game.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Where is the 3DS remake that was heavily hinted at some years ago..? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Red_XIII

Red_XIII said:

Forget Mega Man, Nintendo should buy Square enix, just to get rid of this mobile crap.

Miss_Pixelheart

Miss_Pixelheart said:

So ugly... This looks like some cheap game not worth playing, But it's definitely not! You should play the original if you haven't yet

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

WTAF, I mean, how do they mess up the sprites THAT bad. God today has been crazy, I need to lay down.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

goonow

goonow said:

It is silly how square charges 15 dollars for games that came out years ago.

kesley4884

kesley4884 said:

Having owned every version of this game released in NA I have to say this doesn't look bad at all. While I prefer the more ridged, pixel look of the original I wouldn't say the Android version looks bad at all. I will probably pick it up after I finish Dimensions. I would have preferred them to give it the same treatment they gave III and IV on the DS/Android with a 3D overhaul.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

If by peculiar you mean like crap then yea it definitely looks peculiar.

ShockeyRai

ShockeyRai said:

I honestly don't see how the Graphics look bad (I realize i'm in the minority here, I'm not the only one who has this opinion.)

What is it with people & Game Graphics these days? Its the same freaking game.