Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twenty One

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dedede! Ashley! Group Shots! More!

While 2014 could have been a tad better so far, let's remember one important thing — Super Smash Bros. arrives on 3DS and Wii U this year! Go on, let a smile creep across those lips, and know that Masahiro Sakurai is still delivering daily goodies on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room on Miiverse. With every passing day these games get closer, which is rather nice.

Last week brought us one main reveal, with Ashley — as made famous in WarioWare — unveiled as an assist trophy in the Wii U version. There are some move-set and gameplay details, too, as well as one of the best group shots we could ever hope to see.

Last week's screens are below, and as always you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

13th January

14th January

15th January

16th January

17th January

So that's another week of images for the new Super Smash Bros. games. Let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (337 votes)

King Dedede unleashes side smash power on Link

Rosalina & Luma show off some moves

Ashley dares you to take her on...

38%

The big guys clown around, Mario's not in the mood

21%

Zelda prepares to finish Dedede with a death stare

20%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Shambo

Shambo said:

WHAT? Ashley? Is she playable? I hope she is! That tune is stuck in my head eversince I first heard it!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Shambo: No, she's not playable. Immediately after making that post, Sakurai commented, "FYI, she's an assist trophy," a statement that disappointed many on Miiverse. Honestly, when I first saw her, I knew she was a new assist trophy. Newcomers are announced by Nintendo Directs, not Pic of the Days.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

Gotta go with Ashley. Its funny because some of my friends were talking about some potential newcomers and one really wanted Ashley in. I guess she is....in some form!

I also like Rosalina and Luma's picture; it'll be interesting seeing how some of their attacks differ.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I have to vote for Rosalina...

(and I'd never heard of Ashley before)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Shambo From dat intro...

"Last week brought us one main reveal, with Ashley — as made famous in WarioWare — unveiled as an assist trophy in the Wii U version."

There ya go!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - "let's remember one important thing — Super Smash Bros. arrives on 3DS and Wii U this year!"

I really do admire you TW, with all the negative news the past few days concerning the Wii U and Nintendo's projections and profitability you are the eternal optimist. Even the official Nintendo SSB page -

lists this game as -

"Planned release: 2014"

It doesn't give a quarter or a season, just "planned", yet you perceive it as a certainty. Must be nice. I hope it does, and I think it probably will, but I wouldn't bet on it right now. I feel like whatever the first date they give will be missed, so if they say summer it will be fall, but if they say fall it will be winter in early 2015.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@rjejr If I owned a house I'd bet it on an arrival this year. Maybe it's good I don't own a house, from that perspective! I reckon it'll be this year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Shambo To be honest, the helper trophies always held a special place in my heart. Sure, you couldnt directly control them, but it was something special if your lucky draw got you your favorite character and they got to do something, a normal character wouldnt be able to :)

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Of course Ashley would be an assist trophy. I kinda knew that when I seen the picture, she would be kinda cool but still, even Waluigi has a better chance of being a character than she does, Waluigi already proved to be a great character in the hacked version of Brawl.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

King Dedede looks like he's smitten with Zelda (and I can't blame him 😍). He loves it she's angry... until he's sent flying off the screen, lol!

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

The biggest disappointment was only getting 3 levels of Ashley. By far the best game in Game Wario.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

As someone who hates fighting Toon Link and Marth in brawl, I really did love Dedede clobbering both in one swing.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Another day. Another set of pictures that doesn't really show any relevant information.

Next, more characters you weren't expecting to be cut.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

For the picture with Zelda and King Dedede, Sakurai made a separate comment saying [Zelda: "Ah--soft and squishy."]

ednice

ednice said:

Has Zelda always been this......expressionless? She looks like one of them annoying anime girls

rjejr

rjejr said:

@PrincessEevee9 - Well I certainly hope it's his "goal" to have the game ready this year. It's my wife's goal to lose 10lb this year but just between you and me I'm pretty sure it isn't going to happen.

@ThomasBW84 - Best laugh I've had all day. And I didn't even know you people "reckon". Have you been watching "Party Down South"?

Getting 1 SSB game finished seems hard enough, but the 2 platforms simultaneously makes me worried, and I just can't imagine a scenario where they might release 1 before the other even if 1 was ready before the other.

I just don't see why anybody would think a game is coming out in any given month, season or year when the company that is producing and releasing it hasn't even announced a month yet. Seems like putting the cart before the horse. They might already have enough games for this year w/ MK8, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Yarn Planet, Dynasty Warriors Hyrule, X, that they feel they can hold off on SSB until it's perfect. And lets face it, it doesnt matter what month that game comes out, it will sell, where some games like Just Dance need to release just before Christmas.

Of course I also think DKC:TF could have been done before Christmas but they just held it back for SM3DW and to have something in Feb so I am a bit conspiracy minded as well.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Silent: We already know of those characters. Ashley provided something new last week.

Call me crazy, but I'd love if Kat & Ana were playable alongside Wario and Ashley filled in their assist trophy role.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Ashley reminded me how much I miss warioware touch (I lost it many years ago after beating it). I wish DS games could go on the eshop for a discounted price. Warioware touched was one of the best games on the ds, and definitely the best early DS game.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

I know I shouldn't be bothered, but it irks me that people only really vote for pictures relating to recent reveals rather than voting for the quality of the picture. It's silly, I know.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@PrincessEevee9 Kat & Ana could be amazing, I always pick Ice Climbers for their uniqueness. Of course they'd be less unique, but Kat & Ana would be a great change. One can only dream...

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I'm thinking Ashley is going to be an Assist Trophy. If she were playable, they would've at least shown Wario already.