Award Winning Zelda-Themed Short Film, "Escape", To Get Feature Length Follow-Up

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"PRINCESS IN ANOTHER CASTLE" to tackle similar themes

Way back in October 2012 we shared an award-winning, emotive and challenging Zelda-themed video called Escape. It portrayed some difficult times for a young girl that was miserable at school, before going home to a breaking family as well as physical and emotional abuse. Her escape was in the fantasy of The Legend of Zelda, with the game serving as a conduit for her imagination.

It was an excellent video, and now film-maker Kennedy Baruch has been in touch to let us know that he's releasing a feature length film adaptation of Escape, this time to be called PRINCESS IN ANOTHER CASTLE; it'll follow a similar storyline, but will be set in 1996 with the character seeking solace in classic NES titles. Due this year, Baruch has emphasized that this film will have attention to detail on the gaming front, with some notable artistic license applied for the sake of the storyline.

We'll certainly keep an eye on this — the announcement trailer is below.

If you didn't see it first-time around, below is the original Escape. We've also reproduced our original warning about its content.

We must warn that this video tackles difficult themes such as psychological bullying, and also includes some swearing and one brief moment of simulated violence in the home. That said, with an emotive performance from the lead actress, Bella Porter, this is a high-quality short film that's worth watching.

Tigus

Tigus said:

Wow that's pretty awesome considered a lot of people use video games as means to get away from the hardships of life.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

That's pretty cool that he's making a full feature film. I hope it turns out as well as Escape did.

ueI

ueI said:

Sounds cool. But they should use SNES games if it's 1996.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@ueI He explained that in the video : P Her parents won't buy her one.

I really hope this works out! I don't know how this is going to be distributed but I'll be looking out for news!

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

Am I the only one that noticed the AC adapter was for the Wii, not the GameCube? And If that were my mom that did that to my GameCube, let's just say I'd be in foster care, :).

PVTAngrybird

PVTAngrybird said:

It's way harder than that to break a GameCube! My dad threw our GameCube at the wall as hard as he could because me and my sister stayed up all night playing Luigi's Mansion and it still didn't break.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

It's well known that the only way to destroy a Gamecube is to cast it into the fires of Mount Doom.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@drestroying a GCN: lol I remember some time ago on Youtube some people did an experiment to see which home console of that generation could survive through some...well, destruction. GCN won, and it looked like trash basically. xD (I think PS2 was in 2nd place, and XBox failed on the first round, lol)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Eh, I don't remember, I just remember the GCN won despite ending up looking like crap, lol

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

@donkeykong64

The Wii version is horrible because of wiimote controls.

Think of SS and the Wiimote and how great and natural it felt.

TP is the opposite of that on the Wii.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Pretty moving in parts, but the video game sequences kind of break it. Instead of showing a light hearted journey, we're treated to a girl enjoying cutting up monsters? I know what they were going for, but it sends weird messages to anyone without an idea of what Zelda is. Hopefully the full movie will do a better job of exploring how a kid can find not just an escape but meaning and comfort from a video game. Not just a way to vent frustrations on monsters.

NImH

NImH said:

Yeah, @donkeykong64 TP on Wii isn't bad at all. If anything, the argument could be made that the motion controls are more forced in SS. It looks a lot better on Wii than GCN.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

its not that good... it feels like stuff i saw in college in video class. sort of trying too hard.. and not zelda at all..

ariwl1

ariwl1 said:

Since her childhood was my childhood (sans the physical abuse thankfully) this video struck a chord with a me. Definitely interested to see where he goes.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Yeah, not amazing, good, but not amazing. It's a shame that all it does is make you feel ashamed about playing video games, they never really made a positive, ore even it's ok, connection between success and video games! I'm acing school right now, I've applied for Uni a year early and I play video games ALL the time!

AK-1138

AK-1138 said:

Eh, amateurish if you ask me. The Zelda sequences were cringe-inducingly bad. I expect glaring factual errors when it comes to video games from big Hollywood films that can't be arsed to bother, but filmmakers that have their feet planted more firmly on the ground are given much less leeway in this area.

The subject is a good one and I'm sure a few more than a few gamers could relate (a friend of mine certainly might) but it seems more like a case of this being mostly unexplored territory rather than it being an outstandingly well-made short.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

They perfectly captured how I felt as a kid I was so excited to come home so I could forget all my problems, and go to a place where I could be who I wanted to be, and Do anything daily worries became so small in the heat of battle against the forces of darkness.