Weirdness: UK Store GAME Creates Christmas Dinner In A Can

Posted by Damien McFerran

9 layers of festive food – including turkey and Christmas puddling

We apologise if you've just eaten something prior to reading this particular news story, as the following information may cause you to involuntarily bring up your previously consumed meal — you have been warned.

It has been revealed today that UK video game retailer GAME has created an all-in-one snack option for gamers this festive season. Dubbed "Christmas Tinner", the can contains 9 different foods, including egg, turkey, gravy and Christmas Pudding.

The reasoning behind this gross product / publicity stunt? Apparently, recent research suggests that almost 50 percent of gamers will be spending this holiday season glued to their new games consoles, which — by GAME's reckoning — leaves little time for things like eating food. Hence the one-stop solution: an entire meal in a can.

9 layers await — each of which has been processed and sealed in gelatine (can you feel your meal rising up your throat yet?) and the tin is designed to be consumed immediately — after all, gamers are so lazy they don't want to have to wait for things to cook, right?

According to GAME, the product is being inflicted — sorry, we mean tested — on consumers in its Basingstoke store, and if the demand is there we could see this culinary abomination rolled out all over the UK. Presumably a bout of food poisoning wouldn't be far behind.

Here's what Alisa McKnight, Marketing Director GAME Retail Ltd, had to say about the product:

This Christmas is set to be an epic one for gaming, especially as households all over the UK wake up to a new PS4 or Xbox One console under the Christmas tree. And for those who can’t wait to get stuck into their latest goodies, the Christmas Tinner is our gifting solution combining the best of both worlds: so gamers can feast on the latest releases and the finest food at the same time.

"Finest food" being a phrase we assume has been employed in the loosest possible sense.

Given that many gamers find the "unhealthy and obsessive" stereotype to be somewhat offensive, does this stunt really do our hobby any favours? Or should we take it as a bit of light-hearted fun, as it is clearly intended to be? Let us know by posting a comment.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I dunno...whenever I see things like this it just makes me curious as to what it tastes like. I'm way more curious about this kind of thing than I should be.

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

The food looks good — the selection that is, not the presentation.
I think there are already enough, unhealthy canned meal selections out there.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Wouldn`t even give that to my dog... Are GAME giving them away with every Vita sold this christmas? I need a new door stop and the can would be nice too!

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

This reminds me of 2010's Christmas Dinner Pot Noodle which was actually really yummy! That said yeah...the presentation seems far from great, trying to figure out how this thing even works as it seems to emcompass the entire day. though it sounds like you pretty much eat it out the can...

I mean an alternative way of looking at it, if the pricing MCV suggests is true, then the Tinner is also the cheapest way to have a full christmas dinner! £1.99 gets you all this, and while we might scoff. This would be amazing for families that for some reason can't afford a full proper christmas meal, or for students ect. Because it's tinned you can even donate it to food banks

Zach

Zach said:

I bet this little treat will be the subject/weapon of a lot of dares and bets. Just shake it up and chug it...

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Nice try, but still doesn't beat my idea: a nutrient solution to be administered intravenously. That way you can forget about chores such as chewing. And a catheter, of course; no need to worry about pausing the game because your bladder is about to burst.

Now that is hardcore gaming.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Really, you guys have no sense for humor. None at all.

On the other hand, I'm laughing my socks off.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Judging from what Alisa says, it seems to be marketed towards the dudebro demographic, so I will pass. Still a bit intrigued if it tastes like dog food or not.

It should have been called "Christmas Thinner" as I am sure many people would rather starve than eat that.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

@WYLD-WOO Funny you say that considering chickens are extremely cannibalistic. I'm not even joking. If you break an egg in front of them, even if it's their own, they'll act like piranhas.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Guys, ONE QUESTION!!

Is it compatible with the Vectrex?

P.S. I find it hilarious how there's this monstrous layer of Brussels sprouts.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

I guess I'd try it. Probably wouldn't taste very good, but I suppose food is food, after all, and I'll eat pretty much anything.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

And not only is it a disgusting idea, but It's bound to be onsale at GAME for five quid more than they advertise it on their website.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

That's excellent material for a floor pizza, right there. Yegh!
And to think I've just treated myself to a really nice and spicy green curry for dinner. Going to talk to Ralph on the great white phone... :(

Sakura

Sakura said:

Wait, never min my previously consumed meal, are you sure that isn't a previously consumed meal...?

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Still looks more tasty then a whole chicken in a can. Too tramatize to even post that pic.

I'm just glad, yet surprised that Gamestop haven't done it first with the whole fat/ lazy American stereotype we been getting.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

"This Christmas is set to be an epic one for gaming, especially as households all over the UK wake up to a new PS4 or Xbox One console under the Christmas tree."

Uh...shouldn't the largest video game retailer in the UK mention the Wii U? :|

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

I think I'll import 100 some cans into the US. I mean, can anyone honestly say that that doesn't look delicious? I thought not. :P

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Pretty sure that's not compatible with my stomach... but thanks for the laughs, Damien.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

I might get one if it came here in canada, but to be honest i dont see how this appears to be digusting versus other canned items

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

As much as I hate to admit this, that actually looks kinda good. Not like... delicious-good... but something like edible-good. At any rate, I've eaten far worse things in my life, so I would try it.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I dunno. As gross as it sounds, I personally might actually attempt to try this out anyway.

Although, what I find confusing is why GAME thinks gamers need whole course meals during their their play sessions. Wouldn't that be inconvenient during intense gameplay throughs?