Weirdness: This Real-Life Version Of Mario Kart Looks Extreme

Posted by Conor McMahon

Blue shells seem thankfully absent

Australia is the place to go if it's raw thrills you're after. Even just putting on a shoe is a potentially heart-racing experience as you wonder what kind of multi-legged monster is waiting within. Bungee-jumping and surfing may be getting a bit stale for some adrenaline junkies though, so what better way to liven things up than race tiny karts down the side of a mountainous hill?

The video below from YouTube filmmaker Devin Graham shows his friends doing exactly that, and it's hard not to think of it as a wild recreation of Mario's karting history. The grassy, sun-drenched terrain brings to mind the rolling plains outside Peach's castle, and there are more than a few collisions as bouncing car tires replace green Koopa shells. Travelling that fast is sure to result in a few tumbles regardless though, and it's all part of the fun for these Mushroom Kingdom maniacs.
We even get a distinctly Mario-esque hoot of joy at the 36 second mark.

It's all possible thanks to Kurrajong Heights Grass Billy Karting and Recreation Park, who offer an hour's worth of action for $20. You can even choose teams, though they've yet to introduce double-karts into the mix. Anyone who'd like to join in the next race for the Star Cup can check out their website for more information.

If you're feeling brave, show your interest in a comment below and let us know what you think. Have you tried anything like this?

[via huffingtonpost.com]

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I'm not sure it's exactly supposed to be anything like Mario Kart, and thus isn't really directly Nintendo or even video game related... but it still seems pretty awesome! :D

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

like sledding, except the grounds alot harder. and, when you finish, theres a lift. sadly, theres no sled lift. ):

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but where does the Mario Kart part come in? The generic pop song doesn't make it any more like Mario Kart either... Looks a little fun... it reminds me off when I used to roll down a hill when I was a primary school lad during recess.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

That looks sick

I remember seeing my friend watch this during class. I would do this any day :D

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

I live in Australia too, and we did this when younger, me and a mate built our own ones but I think ours were better tbh lol. We had ropes attached to where they use their feet to steer so we could steer with our hands at least. xD

But haha good on them, good times.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

Umm this looks like the greatest thing ever... Looks like I needed to take a trip over to Australia

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

"Australia is the place to go if it's raw thrills you're after. Even just putting on a shoe is a potentially heart-racing experience as you wonder what kind of multi-legged monster is waiting within." THIS! A thousand times this.

DimetriWarrior

DimetriWarrior said:

Some people already beat me to the "This isn't Mario Kart related" thing. So all you get is this comment saying so.

MAB

MAB said:

I remember doing this a couple of years ago only instead of blue shells we used super soakers filled with urine... Welcome to the next level of Hilly Kart Racing ya'll ;)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Eh, looks more painful than fun to me. & this really is just an advertisement, has amazingly little to do with Mario Kart :p

Smooching

Smooching said:

Am I the only one who thinks the environment is beautiful? I feel it's being wrecked by the karts though...

Maybe I am an elderly person deep down inside after all...