Weirdness: Hori Creates Strange, Antibacterial Funnel For Wii U Microphone

Posted by Conor McMahon

Probably won't make Christmas-party warblings sound much better, though

Horicorp — which manufactures a variety of licensed accessories for pretty much every console out there — has finally delivered what we've all been waiting for; a sound-reducing, antibacterial guard for the Wii U microphone. Well somebody out there wanted it anyway.

Seemingly aiming to please frequent crooners and divas on Wii Karaoke U, the device clips onto any Wii U compatible USB microphone, catching germs and lowering the singing noise as you hold it up to cover your mouth. It's sure to provide a clearer sound for your vocals, and wearing the funnel itself will certainly make your performance stand out in a Lady Gaga-esque way, at the very least.

It may not appeal to the masses, but as more information comes out it might end up making a bit more practical sense — maybe. Hopefully this means Horicorp is now free to go ahead and start work on a wireless microphone as its next release.

Check out the video below for yourself, and let us know what you make of it all.

[via gonintendo.com]

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

This is actually not a bad idea. Maybe not around here, but seeing that in japan, people are often wearing this mouth covers (i have no clue what they are called in english and i dont really know WHY they are wearing them) and knowing of their love for karaoke, i guess this is a nice thing to have.
And hori is very good manufacturer. That reminds me, ill have to get a pair of hori arcade sticks for my PS3.

Gioku

Gioku said:

WTF
I would never have expected this to exist, lol!

...apparently these are a thing in Japan...? And I always thought the idea was to not put your mouth on Microphones...

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Seeing as most karaoke sessions amongst friends occur at birthdays or other parties and are mostly preceded by the intake of copious amounts of alcoholic beverages, a microphone with a barfing cup attached isn't such a bad idea at all...

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

How a bout a wireless and/or BT Headset, to use with the Wii U Pro Controller

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

The single most erogenous Nintendo commercial I've ever seen.

I probably shouldn't have said that.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

Heh, it's an official product! I must buy one.
This also reminded me to buy one of those Hori Mini Pads for my N64!
Thanks NintendoLife!

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

These mics are on clearance everywhere for like $8. Who would buy an accessory for a mic no one wants?

DarkSplatoonLink

DarkSplatoonLink said:

@Einherjar @FishieFish Yeah, in Japan most people wear them as not to pass their illness/cough on, or if lots of others around them are sick. Some stores actually have whole aisles of them! But seriously this is a good idea for apartments and close houses if you don't want to annoy your neighbors with your singing.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@FishieFish @DarkToonLink Thanks for the info :) In knew that these thing are worn to prevent illnesses from spreading, but is it really that much of a problem in japan ? The population is much denser over there, yes, but wouldt that aslo mean that their immune system should have compensated for that by now ? But whatever, i still think that its not a bad idea :)

DarkSplatoonLink

DarkSplatoonLink said:

@Einherjar Well viruses evolve all the time, so I don't think there'd really be immunities like that. It's mainly because the Japanese take work quite seriously and will still go even if slightly sick. Many people take the train to work/school, which gets really squashy in rush hour, so you often see people wearing them in train stations. In my limited experience, at least.
I live in Australia, and a lot of us take sickies just to watch the cricket! And our trains are never on time.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@DarkToonLink "taking work seriously" is a very good point, didnt think about that. Ironicly enough, im staying at home right now with an 38 to 39° fever, an entire slime family (que dragon quest reference) in my nose and throat and an inbuild rumble pack powered by chills :P
And i cant even say where i caught it, because every second person around here is sick at the moment. Maybe i should also consider getting me such a mouth cover...