Video: Nintendo Teases Footage Of Wii Sports Club: Golf In Full Swing

Posted by Damien McFerran

Complete with floor-based Wii U GamePad

Wii Sports Club consists of just Tennis and Bowling so far, but the long-term plan is to release all of the sports eventually — and as if to remind us of this fact, Nintendo has shared some footage of Wii Sports Club: Golf in action via its Instagram account.

As you can see, the Wii U GamePad is placed on the floor, allowing you to "see" the tee when you start a new hole. Those of you with good memories will know that this was shown in the original promotional videos for the Wii U before the console was released — for those who don't recall, here's what it looked like back then:

Are you looking forward to getting your hands on this, or are you keener to see some of the others sports?

[via instagram.com]

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'd prefer another Tiger Woods but I bet this will be easier to get the family playing. I think they should put a bit of balance board support in this like the Wii Fit golf game.

Maybe this is the new game to be revealed by Reggie at VGX....

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

When will they have it ready? Although I guess it will be pretty similar to the one in Resorts, I still want to check it out.

They were also playing it in one of "The Pitch" commercials.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I definitely want this one more than the other 2 (as of yet unreleased). However I'm curious, will it have just Wii Sports Golf or will it include the additional courses from Sports Resort too?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I want :D

Online I hope is fun. Though hope it is not insanely slow.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Golf and Tennis are the keepers for me. I don't really want to put my pad on the floor, though.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I loved Wii Sports and Sports Resort golf, but I will only get this if the GamePad feature actually makes a difference. If it's just for effect, meh.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I'm hoping for an awesome updated Mario Golf in the future taking full use of the capabilities of the Wii U

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Finally a golf game. Been waiting for this since that demo. Words cannot describe how bitter I am towards EA for dropping Tiger Woods' contract and crapping all over the Wii U. Wii Sports Golf will have to do.

justinluey

justinluey said:

Bowling and Tennis are great, but Golf is the sport I want most. Has Nintendo hinted at a time frame for the other games?

Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort Golf didn't have all the features of a game like Tiger Woods, but it has the best gameplay of any golf game I've played. I still play it after all this time.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I've been looking forward to Wii Sports Club Golf for some time, along with Boxing. Hopefully that will be great as long as the online is great.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@ajcismo Me too. Last gen, EA made the best Tennis and best Golf games ever made, and they managed it on the humble Wii. I haven't played the Kinect equivalents but the Motionplus versions destroyed the HD PSMove versions in every possible way. Now they better come crawling back for the 2015 version of Tiger and a (non-cartoony) version of Grand Slam tennis.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I really want Golf and Baseball. Those were my favorites. Also, naturally, I would like to see the Wii Sports Resort games come out eventually for Wii U.

vattodev

vattodev said:

I was expecting more of the scenarios. :( Hopefully the final version get's better graphics. Just look at Pikmin, Assassin's creed and Monster Hunter. That's the art style they should be aiming for.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

They need to release them all in a bundle for $30 max. $10 each, by the time they have them all out, you spend $50-60+ on something that is not worth that amount.

Boxing, Baseball and Golf are already known to be coming out. Tennis and Bowling are already out. Thats 5 x $10 already.

To me they are just draining people'a wallet slowly this way on purpose since $10 seems cheap and you don't realize by the time you get them all you paid for a $50 game for something that is just a wii game with online mode pretty much.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I'm alright with this, tennis and boxing. I'll gladly get this when it comes out because it looks pretty famn dun.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I've been looking forward to every sport except boxing, I really hope the online works like bowling & isn't broken like tennis. Otherwise, I'll probably still buy it for the offline golfing, it's quite fun in Wii Fit U :-)

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Been waiting for that one. Now all I need is baseball (assuming it they make it better than Tennis) and I'll have all three sports I liked in the original.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

This is my most-wanted Wii Sport. Really hope they're teasing this now for a pre-Christmas surprise release...

But in the meantime, I'll keep racking up matches online in Tennis. For all the complaints about it, I've had a blast playing competitively and trying to get my star rating up. I think I'm at 5* right now? Very compelling, very quick and intense with the 7 point limit. Golf will be my relaxing chaser. Love the GamePad view...

Lord

Lord said:

The best of the wii sports was the golf in my eyes, but for £8.99 they are gonna need to have full courses and different course say 5x18 holes at least.

Maneauleau

Maneauleau said:

I am not convinced by this usefulness of the gamepad in that situation. Hopefully there is more to it that I don't know or realise.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Yes! I just hope there are more courses this time. Maybe one designed like a crazy one from Mario golf.

JustinH

JustinH said:

I suppose golf isn't launching alongside baseball then, eh? Oh well, let's get golf on there already. Online must be the easiest thing with golf.

I doubt I'd get it but I'd certainly play a round or two.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Other sports? What other sports?!! There is only golf ;)

This is my game right here! I can't even express to you how many weekends I spent playing Wii Sports Golf with my friends, using a projector to display the image on my wall. HIGHLY RECOMMEND playing Wii Sports with a projector and a life-size image on a screen or barren wall- accept no substitutes!

SMW

SMW said:

No cool feature could convince me to put my GamePad on the floor! Step the wrong place and crush, swing the Wii Remote too low and the GamePad becomes a hockey puck! (Maybe even become airborne?) You'd have to have pretty long arms or short legs, but still. :P

bronZfonZ

bronZfonZ said:

I wonder if the GamePad's camera is capable of sensing motion, because it seems like this feature is just a gimmick, albeit an immersive one.

Still, I have a feeling this new, simple mechanic is going to get senior citizens to get a Wii U.

Yodelman64

Yodelman64 said:

I still don't really get how having the golf ball on the game pad really enhances the game. it seems like it would things awkward because you want to look down when you swing and not at the screen

madness

madness said:

I amazed,no top pro golfer has not jump on this, game with 18 hole using the game pad like this, or some golf training game for real golfers.. would be so good..

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@GamerJunkie Or, it allows you to only buy the parts you want. Frankly, I'd like to see more of this. Want AC IV, but won't play the multiplayer? Cool, $40, please. Call of Duty, I suppose, would be the other way around, but you get the idea. They did this with Tank Tank Tank, and I thought it was brilliant.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

@Captain_Gonru id rather have all of them for $20-30 which is a good price for a cheap remake.

BTW where do you get $40 as a good price for parts of a game in your examples?

I just got battlefield 4 for PC for 19.99 and its a brand new blockbuster game of the year candidate.

This is my point, seems people that only play on Nintendo systems are out of touch with game pricing.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@GamerJunkie
Prices on consoles are always higher than on PC, it's just the price you pay for standardization. For example Battlefield 4 on 360/PS3/XBO/PS4 would cost you $60, yet you got it for $20 on PC. I'd hardly call it a GOTY candidate though as it's incredibly buggy on every platform (although that never stopped Skyrim).

Batman Arkham Origins is an example of lower pricing for missing features, $60 on 36/PS3 and sans multiplayer for $50 on Wii U. I was happy about saving $10 as the multiplayer sucked anyway.

As for game pricing, well I think you usually get what you pay for. The HD rereleases that I've bought on the PS3 have simply been upscaled PS2 games for $30. Wind Waker HD has a bit more effort than just upscaling, with new lighting and gameplay changes; so I can understand why it would cost $20 more. Wii Sports Club looks like it's upscaled with online added, so maybe it's also worth more than $30 too. Being broken up into $10 pieces is fine, but I do think that they should have offered a 'season pass' for about $40 to buy them all (saving $10).

Gameday

Gameday said:

I was waiting for golf , i think people are going to find ways to cheat hard in baseball lag etc... If only you were allow to talk in these games it would be awesome. Hopefully when it comes to boxing everything is up to par with the syncing and reading of the punches specially since this is online.