Video: Nintendo Minute Chooses Its Top Games of the Year

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

All must have games

Over the past week we've shared a mini series of videos from "Nintendo Minute", a regular YouTube show from Nintendo of America. Its hosts have been shortlisting their favourite 3DS, eShop and Wii U games, and in the final part confirmed each other's top choices.

We should think only one guess is required to predict the Wii U game of the year for both presenters, though there was a little more of a surprise factor in the other two categories. Overall, we'd certainly support the view that all of the named games are must-haves.

Check it out below and let us know what you think of the choices.

Related Games

Blast

Blast said:

LOL what a nice video. I can't wait for 2014. The 3DS and Wii U are gonna get even better!!!!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Almost everything good in 2013 was 3ds. Hoping Wii U catches on in 2014, and after this past direct, it looks like it might just be.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Uhm adorable, especially the gal!
Some really genuine Nintendo enthusiasm, which is always refreshing. :)

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

I love the WiiU part. I bet that in their heads they were like "there really isnt anything else to choose from." :P

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I'm starting to loathe the phrase "must have" in favour of "must play" for the inaccuracy present in the statement.

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

A link between worlds already won GOTY on several sites, just the best game I've played in a long time

Giggity55

Giggity55 said:

I really need to finish Fire Emblem. Too busy on Pokemon Y and Link Between Worlds though:)

Shambo

Shambo said:

@SkywardLink98 ... But what if it ISN'T impossible? Imagine that...

The 3ds had a long and slow start, but I never even thought about getting rid of it. Here's hoping the Wii U will make a similar comeback. I used to work in a gameshop, and saw lots of weird, badly informed customers. Some even saying the PS2 slim model was actually the PS3. Funny detail: PS3 was already released for a while then. Or the 3DS was just a DS that could display 3d gameplay á la N64. Sure, since not a single DS game used polygons, right? And with a huge gap between launch titles and the next load of games, I'm quite positive more people will buy a Wii U as a 'secondary' console, especially when X, Mario Kart and Smash Bros arrive.

Inkling

Inkling said:

My 3DS GOTY is Animal Crossing: New Leaf and my Wii U GOTY is Super Mario 3D World! Overall, Zelda and New Super Luigi U came close, but my GOTY of all platforms is... Super Mario 3D World! ;)

Ryankf

Ryankf said:

My 3DS favorite of the year is A link between worlds, but i don't have a Wii U so :p

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

"shortlisting WiiU games". Now there's some involuntary humor.

Super Mario 3D World, huh? Touch choice.

blinkpunk02

blinkpunk02 said:

Surprised you haven't posted that LoZ won Gamespot's overall GOTY award. In a year with The Last Of Us and GTA V, that's pretty awesome. Took me 26 hours to beat it and I loved every minute. Awesome game.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

What's with people thinking Super Mario 3D World is pretty much the only Wii U game that's been released this year worth thinking about? I didn't get on with it so much but there's been The Wonderful 101, and on top of that Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, Sonic Lost World, Game & Wario, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (which I've poured over 100 hours into playing online with friends now)...but then Mario launches and it's like none of these other games exist any more? Wow. :(

Mario's superb, but Monster Hunter 3, and probably Lego City Undercover would've been my picks.

misterquin

misterquin said:

For Wii U, I personally would've chosen Pikmin 3. Loved thAt game so much. Though Mario 3D World deserves it more I guess.