Video: Fresh Footage Of 3DS Action RPG Swords & Darkness Emerges From The Shadows

Posted by Damien McFerran

New title from Arc System Works is coming to the 3DS eShop

Arc System Works has released a new trailer for its upcoming 3DS eShop title, Swords & Darkness. A 2D fantasy-themed brawler with RPG elements, the game is set to launch on the Japanese eShop tomorrow.

Looking a lot like a Dungeons & Dragons take on River City Ransom, the game will allow you to level up your character's skills and equip new items to make your battles against the undead that little bit easier.

There's no word on a western release at present, but we'll keep you informed. Would you be interested in seeing this on your 3DS? Post a comment to tell us.

[via youtube.com]

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

Looks really cool. Is there a similar game already in the e-Shop for North America?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Hope this get's a western release. I am still hoping for Kunio over here...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Vagrant Story 2D. That's how I'ld market it. I wasn't a big fan - too much hype let me down - but the name probably still resonates w/ gamers. Better than marketing it as a 1 player Castle Crashers or Scott Pilgrim.

For the young and uninitiated, original Vagrant Story trailer from 2000:

khululy

khululy said:

Kinda reminds me of Breath of Fire 4 and Xenogears, come think of it why have both rehash kings neglected those awesome games for so long...(looks at Square-Enix and Capcom) Looks neat but could use a few more animation frames in the character sprites.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@rjejr Vagrant Story wasn't really a brawler, though. The combat system was actually quite deep - although it used to annoy me that you had to construct a different weapon for almost every enemy!

Weird

Weird said:

hmm looks interesting... maybe i would buy it if it comes to europe
lol the dragon looks funny xD i had to laugh as he came :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Damo - "Vagrant Story wasn't really a brawler, though."

VS was like MH, but w/o the monsters. It was another step along Squares decent into graphics over game, which culminated in the 20 minutes of graphics prowess that was The Bouncer.

" it used to annoy me that you had to construct a different weapon for almost every enemy!"

I think there are still some bats flying around that game that I haven't managed to beat yet. Stupid bats.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@rjejr I dunno, the game's battle system wasn't real time in the same way a brawler is. You could pause time and target things. I think it's more RPG than action. But yeah, I lost patience with it! Too much weapon creation.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

I`m very interested in seeing more of this and will hope for a western release sometime soon.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Looks pretty good to me. I like the art style, and the combat looks fun. I'd give it a whirl if it hit North America.

Asaki

Asaki said:

There's a typo in the article, unless the intention was that the game is themed like a 2D fantasy.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@Damo @rjejr That game broke me. I love it though. I really need to get a PS and get some of those classic Squaresoft games back.

On the subject though, this game looks pretty decent, might check it out if the price is right.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Arc System Works are pretty cool developers for maiking Blazblue aka the best fighting game series ever. I'm a bit interested in this, if anything the soundtrack should be good.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Spuratis - PS2 and PS3 both play PS1 discs. Though actually I'm not sure about the new cheaper slide top PS3s or the 12GB ones. I regret trading in Xenogears (that 2nd disc was such a let down) and Legends of Dragoon (in need of a sequel), but not Vagrant Story, can't imagine ever wanting to go back to that one. Glad I mustered thru and finished it, but once was enough.

Juma009

Juma009 said:

Looks awesome, but tbh Im tired of seeing and reading about all these cool donkey games coming to eshop yet no date for them, Teslagrad, Two Brothers, Grinsia, Pier Solar HD, Child of light

Shade_Koopa

Shade_Koopa said:

If they added multiplayer and more of a class system, I might be inclinded to get it. But just a Sword and Shield build, nah, i'll pass.