Tappingo Gameplay Footage and Challenging Puzzles Emerge

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Tap it out

Tappingo is the next title from Hugo Smits of Goodbye Galaxy Games, the developer that earned our DSiWare Game of the Year Award in 2012; it may not have been a crowded field, but Ace Mathician was a clever, charming game.

As revealed previously, Tappingo has some similarities in design to Picross, though adopts different rules

Solve pixel art puzzles by making numbered blocks extend into lines. Sounds easy? wait until you find out these lines keep running unless they hit something! Be smart and use other blocks and lines to stop the line at the correct length.

There's now a Vine to show the game in action, posted by Mr Goodbye Galaxy Games, Hugo Smit. The developer has also forwarded some new screens (also below), two of which show larger puzzles that'll be an important part of the experience.

This'll be Goodbye Galaxy Games' 3DS eShop début; are you interested in this one?

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

looks very cool!! hope there will be many nintendo and game related pictures!!!!!! =)

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

This will be a must-have for me! I love all kinds of number and logic puzzles. :3

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I can't wait to play this, I was disappointed when I saw the release date hadn't been announced.

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

thanks guys! Release date .... very VERY soon. The game is done, and in lotcheck. I expect to get green light this month. But I won't release the game until early 2014 (January/Febuary).

Nintendojuenger

Nintendojuenger said:

I like this disproportionate advertising „Game Boy had Tetris, Nintendo DS had Picross. Now 3DS players get their puzzle craze called Tappingo!“

… they forgot, Picross is a Game Boy Game too (Picross, Picross 2)
… DS has more than 500 Puzzle-Games and some of them with newer concepts similar to Tappingo, like Link-a-Pix (Pic Pic)
… there are already a ton of Puzzle Games on 3DS, like Bomb Monkey
… and my favourite – the line of ancestors: Tetris, Picross, Tappingo

Aside the promotion, I think Tappingo looks good and for me it is a day-one download.

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@Nintendojuenger You are right, there are many puzzles games out already on 3DS. That’s why I needed such a bold statement ;) It drives the point home. This game is different than all the other puzzle games you already seen on 3DS!

I know Picross was on Gameboy as well. But if you ask a room full of gamers to name a puzzle game for the Gameboy, almost everybody will say Tetris. Picross was much bigger on DS.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@HugoSmits Wowzers, soundsa big! :D & if people paid to QA games took 15 hours it'll probably take me a lot longer (which is a great thing). Thanks!

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

@WiiLovePeace That’s not the most amazing thing! The biggest compliment I ever had in my short career thus far; after painstakingly playing the game for hours and hours on an end to find bugs. One of the QA testers took a devkit home with him for the weekend so he could play the game all Sunday for FUN.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@HugoSmits WHAT?! That's incredible!! That's almost unheard of!! To have actually sat down to play the game for hours upon hours of work time then to want to keep playing the same game in their own time for fun & without pay?! They weren't bored of the game even after all that time working on it? & still wanted to spend a whole day off playing it? Then this game is definitely fun! You deserve a big pat on the back & many sales for that accomplishment alone! It's got me sold. Is it coming to the Aussie eShop? :D