System Maintenance Targeting Wii Sports Club Shortly After Nintendo Direct

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

What a coincidence

As many Nintendo enthusiasts likely already know, tomorrow will bring another Nintendo Direct broadcast to capture our attention. Coincidentally — or not, as the case may be — a short burst of system maintenance will affect Wii Sports Club online play and rankings shortly after that broadcast.

Below are the compiled details for North America and Europe.

From Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:15 AM Pacific / 9:15 AM Eastern / 2:15 PM UK / 3:15 PM Europe
until Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7 AM Pacific / 10 AM Eastern / 3 PM UK / 4 PM Europe

Affected Services:

Wii U

• Online Play, Rankings, etc. for Wii Sports Club

Also of potential interest is the fact that the same status update page shows that there was additional maintenance — beyond the regular weekly schedule — yesterday.

In terms of Wii Sports Club, this may be paving the way for the arrival of Wii Sports Club: Golf, which is the next title in line for the series and had been touted as a potential 2013 arrival.

We'll find out soon enough. Are you keen to get into the swing of it with Golf, once again?

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip

[via nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

GuardianKing

GuardianKing said:

How many of the Wii accessories do you need to play the Wii Sports Club games? Also, what are the respective prices for rental and purchase of each game?

ghall

ghall said:

Gee, I wonder if we'll be getting at least one new sport to download.

NAHHHHHH. :)

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Really hope golf is coming and has a few upgrades.....although a full fledged Mario Golf would be better. I think a great golf game would sell very well....especially to those of us surrounded by snow 6 months a year

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I'm happy with Tennis and bowling. Never liked Golf, baseball or boxing as much.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I will probably end up getting golf when it comes out, hopefully it will include the Wii Sports Resort courses (but this may be wishful thinking)

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

@GuardianKing You need a wii remote plus - in the UK it's £1.50 to play all the sports for 24 hours or £8.99 to 'buy' a sport and play it permanently

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Never liked golf, but I will be picking up baseball and boxing. I seriously hope they also do all the stuff from Sports Resort - that would be massive!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I hope it is at least one of the following

One - A new sport
Two - A stability fix that makes online play more bearable especially for Tennis

If we get at least one of those two, I'll be happy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It would be nice if this turned out to be preparation for Golf, but even if it was just to improve online, that would be welcome.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"shortly after"

So, the ND is only going to be 15 minutes long? Kinda short, no? Or did you mean shortly after the "beginning" of the broadcast and it got lost in translation?

The maintenance is supposed to end 45 minutes later so wouldn't that be more like "during"?

cookiex

cookiex said:

@rjejr

Seems to me like it's during the direct, so that when it ends the servers will be fixed and ready (whether for the arrival of a new sport or not we'll see).

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

Golf was always my favorite activity in both Wii Sports games, by far. I'm really looking forward to playing Wii Sports Club: Golf. Here's hoping that, sometime in the future, they release new courses as DLC. I'd gladly pay a few bucks for a new set of 9 holes every few months.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

Although I enjoy some of the sports, e.g bowling and golf, I refuse to purchase them for £8.99 each. Wii Sports Resort included 12 sports at an RRP of £39.99. If Wii Sports Club ends up with the same 12 sports, that's just shy of £108.

I would have definitely considered £4.99 per game.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

If online improves I'll get the tennis. That's why I was still a bit skeptic about it.

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

Golf was fun so I'll be getting that and boxing is gonna be brilliant cant wait to bash some heads in online!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Golf is by far my favorite Wii Sport, and was easily the defining game for the Wii era to me. I think it's awesome they're adding gamepad support to show the ball beneath you. It's a little thing, but adds alot. I've never played golf in real life, but I can bring it with a Wiimote, believe that!

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I still have my WiiSports disc and don't care for online as it is at the moment. So, I have no intention of even acknowledging these minigames unless Nintendo fixes online and makes it a completely awesome experience, or the sports get cheaper, because $10 is a ripoff.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Twilight_Crow How is $10 per sport a ripoff? All 5 sports together adds up to $50, which is $10 less than the standard retail game. I'd rather be able to buy each for $10 than have to spend $50 to get sports I won't play, especially when bowling and golf were the only sports that my family ever played on the original.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@IceClimbers Well, I got all sports for free on a disc I still can play, (I mean completely free, I didn't even pay for my Wii, I won it on a magazine contest) and the improvements on the games and their online are not good enough for me. I didn't say it was a ripoff for everyone, it is for me. You think you get value for your money, great, enjoy your games :), but I don't, different strokes man.