Super Mario Bros. 3 Arrives on Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console on 26th December in Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Includes a launch week discount

It's been in demand since Nintendo teased it earlier in the year, and it's almost here. Super Mario Bros. 3 with arrive on the Virtual Console for both Wii U and 3DS on 26th December; it was announced in the European Nintendo Direct by Satoru Shibata, though unfortunately had no mention in the North America equivalent or in the subsequent press release — as a result this is just confirmed for Europe at the time of writing.

The classic NES title is one of the finest platformers ever created, and so the hype around having it available on the latest systems is understandable. It was responsible for various ideas that would become the norm in the Mario series, and is certainly a candidate to be considered the best ever NES game.

Its Boxing Day release in Europe will also come with an initial discount, costing £3.49 on 3DS and £2.79 on Wii U; it'll then revert to £4.49/€4.99 on 3DS and £3.49/€4.99 on Wii U from 2nd January 2014.

Will you be downloading this classic while in the festive spirit?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Now... what about NA? because the 26th is normally the day where NA get its releases for the Eshop

johndevine

johndevine said:

Honestly, this is great and all....

I love SMB3.

BUT, WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T THEY BROUGHT OUT THE GAME BOY ADVANCE / MARIO ALLSTARS VERSION WITH THE BETTER GRAPHICS?

RIP OFF!!!!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Odd that the North America release date wasn't announced. I've been interested in the 3DS version for a while.

Jonny

Jonny said:

Thomas, I'm pretty certain I saw in that broadcast that the wii u version would have a price of 2.79 for the discount and then standard pricing.

Edit - Just double checked and yeah, it's 2.79 discount before being the normal 3.49.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

I love SMB 3 but already got it in a myriad of formats... think i'll skip this one.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm very happy about this. I was planning to play through it on my 3DS over Christmas before realising about a month ago that it wasn't actually out on the 3DS yet.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

You've got the Wii U pricing wrong. Although I don't think it matters to Wii VC upgraders, the price will still be lower than the discount. I kinda want to buy it on 3DS too, but I don't really support buying the same game twice, especially now the systems are linked.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I'm totally fine leaving all my VC releases in Wii mode ... except for this one. This is one game I want to have on every system possible. So I'll be downloading on both before long.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Hm, as much as I like SMB3, I think it's kind of silly that's their big release. Oh well, NES remix is phenomenal so that's awesome!

johndevine

johndevine said:

I'm well aware of what they want me to do...

I usually do it. But it's getting a bit frustrating!!

It further negates any possibility of cross system retro purchases.

And they have previously been discussing having Game Boy advance titles on wii u! That will also come out no doubt.

InsertPi

InsertPi said:

Nintendo hates America. There was one Japanese game that was released an entire year later than it was in Japan.

element187

element187 said:

@Link41x @IAmAPersson if anything they should be rewarding North American Wii U owners because we were the only region buying their first party games...

Japan and Europe have been ignoring Wii U and its games almost all year (Japan is finally showing it some love lately), with the UK completely ambivalent towards the Wii U all together (200k systems after a year?, the Wii U in the UK is being ignored like the xbox360 is in Japan)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

So they wait till the very last Thursday of the year...and they still haven't confirmed the date for NA...UGH!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

This is an instant upgrade whenever they get around to releasing in the US, along with SNES Zelda. The best part was both were Club Nintendo pickups for Wii so i will only be spending $2.50 to get both.

Now get Square-Enix to release some Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (Warrior) VC goodness and I will be a happy camper.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I was hoping that accounts between Wii U and 3DS would be unified when this gets released, as good a game this is, I will only get the Wii U Version at discounted price from Wii VC. I am not paying for it on the 3DS, it should be transferable

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I'm tempted to get this when it's out in NA, but I already have the All-Stars disc that came with the 25th anniversary bundle for the Wii.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

i already got the anniversary disc for wii.... but it is tempting :) one can simply not love this game enough :D

brents

brents said:

Was really hoping this would be the start of a single purchase for access on both systems. Would have snapped it up if that was the case

Falco

Falco said:

I can remember when SMB3 was £50 in my local Quinnsworth. It is certainly worth £2.79 if you haven't got it already.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

All this and no release date for North America. Thanks a lot, Nintendo. Oh yeah, and it's funny how they chose the final Thursday of 2013 to release SMB3 on the eShop, nearly a year after Japan got it. I'm not trying to sound like a hater, because I'm glad it's finally coming to Wii U and 3DS. It's just somewhat irritating that there's no release date for NA (where I live) and they chose the final Thursday of 2013 of all times. (I'm guessing NA will get it the same day as EU, though. If not, I will be steamed.

SuperiorTech

SuperiorTech said:

@SammyOfMobius
What annoys me is that it was announced to be released THIS year during the North American Nintendo Direct in August and there's still no release date in sight.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

according to Wiki, NA is getting SMB3 on Wii U and 3DS tomorrow, I don't know the source

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Even though I prefer the better looking SNES version, I'll have to buy this one regardless.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Sweet... That`s my boxing day starters sorted and then some Bravely Default for main. Then maybe a little bit of Zelda: Link to the past for some afters. All whilst smiling as I think of my free download gift of Mario Deluxe at some point in February.

EDIT: Almost forgot !!!! My free download copy of Super Mario 3D Land for getting my new special Luigi 3DS XL, will also get a cheeky play.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

How come there's a £1 difference between the 3DS and Wii U versions in the UK, but not in the rest of Europe?

Actually, here's a better question. Why is there a pound difference at all?

Actually, here's an EVEN better question. Why aren't the two system's virtual consoles libraries integrated?

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

So per this pricing in Europe, how much would that be in NA dollars? 4.99? Or 5.99? Or something else? Sorry, i don't know my currency equivalences between countries. ;)

shaggyc

shaggyc said:

I don't get how NA gets screwed on the VC. :( I want a link to the past on wii U more than this.

GottzGaming

GottzGaming said:

@SammyOfMobius Why have all your accounts on google been shut down, it says you or someone violated the terms of service does this mean your career on youtube is done?