Soundtrack for Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Released on iTunes

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Kanto allegro

Looking for a soundtrack to emphasize a day spent roaming through tall grasses or being challenged to battle by everyone you make eye contact with? Game Freak has released a new option on iTunes for your listening pleasure.

Pokémon FireRed & Pokémon LeafGreen: Super Music Collection hit the iTunes music store today, joining its sister soundtrack for Pokémon X & Y. The full album goes for $11.99 and includes 90 tracks of melodies and fanfares, although favourites can be cherry-picked for 99 cents each.

Pokemon.com promises further soundtrack releases in the future. Are you looking forward to a particular instalment? Sound off in the comments below!

[via itunes.apple.com, nintendoeverything.com, pokemon.com]

Cevan

Cevan said:

Why can't Nintendo do this with a bunch of their soundtracks? They'd sell like hotcakes.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

If this is the same soundtrack Japan got, then expect some very freaky remixes. They took a lot of, um, artistic licenses with many of these. The kind with 90-second techno introductions.

KTT

KTT said:

@Geonjaha Well I'm not a fan either (music). I prefer the original 8-bit sounds. I dislike GBA pokemon music in general, so that may be the reason. Plus they didn't do much with the original soundtrack anyways (good example of doing something new with the original sountrack were HGSS).

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Checked it on itunes, it comes with a few remixes and some GB versions of the songs.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I only paid for two songs, the remixes for Team Rocket's hideout and the Pokemon Tower (damn, that last one is more like Pokemon meets Giygas meets Silent Hill).

Thejoe66

Thejoe66 said:

Pokemon sated they will upload soundtrack for R/S/E, P/D, HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2 in 2014 can't wait for pearl my first Pokemon and favorite soundtrack

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...This and not 3D World? :c
Not even Dream Team gets an official soundtrack. T.T

Dplusplus

Dplusplus said:

I'm completely underwhelmed. I thought FR/LG were good, but the soundtrack and sound effects were completely uninspiring. At least, they didn't do anything for me. I know they're doing this to appeal to the genwunners, but I'd love to see a Black/White(2) Album released.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Mmm. Too bad Leaf Green and Fire Red absolutely butchered the original soundtrack. I'd have to say the Kanto remakes have the worst music in the series.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@Cevan Because it wasn't Nintendo who did this, but Gamefreaks. Gamefreaks is an independent company with far more rights for their Pokémon property than most people would think.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Geonjaha I don't mind. But I see the FR/LG soundtrack as somewhat boring and unoriginal.
HG/SS showed how to remake properly, and B/W made the most stunning rearrangements of Pokémon music in the entire series.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I happened to come across the official Japanese soundtrack for the original Red/Blue/Green games at a thrift store a long time ago (along with the soundtracks for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross), so I'm not too interested in the Fire Red/Leaf Green soundtrack. I wish Nintendo would make these albums available as CD's, perhaps even on Club Nintendo, but it's still nice to see them releasing their music at all. I'm still hoping for a CD of the full Zelda orchestra though.

gefflt

gefflt said:

@TrueWiiMaster YES! I actually suggested it to them (I mentionned the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks specifically, but still), that'd be awesome!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

@Kaze_Memaryu
Meh, imho HG/SS remixes are a perfect example of sometimes less being more, they tried WAY too hard. The battle themes in that game for the most part are fine, but the town, route music etc. is just awful.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

@Expa0 Hah, I thought it was the other way around, with town themes sounding beautiful and battle themes sounding like they tried too hard.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

@Morpheel
Well I recall the Johto trainer battle theme really tried too hard, but I'm not a big fan of the main battle themes in G/S/C to begin with. I do think HG/SS much improves "special" battle themes like Champion, Rival, Team Rocket and especially the Johto gym leader battle theme, which I didn't care for in the original but it's probably my fav remix in HG/SS.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

@Kaze_Memaryu What? But the soundtracks are amazing! They do justice to the original sounds of the original games. Though I've never considered them to be better than those originals, of course. :B

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@JuanitoShet I cannot really agree on that. In my point of view, the remixes mostly lose quite a lot of their impact. They obviously had more sound layers, but the way they handled it was kinda watered down to me - that especially applies to the Team Rocket music, the forests, and the Elite 4 battles. It neither sounded heavy nor menacing anymore, and above all they lacked the tension from the originals.