Shovel Knight Release is Pushed Back to Early 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The developers dig in

We've made no secret that we're looking forward to getting our hands on Shovel Knight, the début release from Yacht Club Games which is, itself, largely comprised of former WayForward employees. The formerly crowdfunded project is coming to the Wii U eShop, 3DS eShop as well as PC, Mac and Linux.

Its original campaign cited a target release of September 2013, which naturally slipped and has since been somewhat left hanging. With 2013 rapidly running out of time Yacht Club Games' main man Sean Velasco has now confirmed that the studio is targeting early 2014 for release. It should also be noted that the various stretch goals — which included New Game+, Gender Swap mode and a 4 Player Battle mode — will be provided as free updates a few months after release.

Though the delays to date and confirmation that stretch goals will slip beyond the initial launch may be disappointing, we certainly have optimism that this'll be a title worth digging into. Rubbish shovel-related wordplay aside, below is the most recent trailer to remind you of what's coming.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

Warruz

Warruz said:

NNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gioku

Gioku said:

I cannot wait for this game...! Hopefully early 2014 means January or February... that's when I was hoping to be able to play this...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Bummer, I've been waiting on Shovel Knight for a while & now I will have to wait a while longer... Also disappointing that the stretch goals aren't arriving at launch either despite the game getting delayed. Oh well, I'll still enjoy it all the same when I finally get to play it.

Azikira

Azikira said:

It's to be expected. If anyone on here has programmed games before, you'll realize that it's a long, arduous process. Heck, debugging alone can take months, especially with a small team (Or in my case, one person). Give 'em some slack so they can release the amazing game we all want. :D

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Kinda disappointing, but as a (console) Zelda fan I'm used to long waiting and if this means an overall better experience, I can easily wait a little longer.

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

I'm not disappointed. I'm actually really happy for them and all of us that they met the stretch goals which will give us more content to play with. Had they not met those goals, we'd probably have the game by now, but with less content. Waiting sucks, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

In times like these, I appreciate when Inafune put Mighty No. 9 so far away, trying to avoid these pitfalls.

Early 2014 is still too vague for my taste.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Do it right, I say. This is their first game as a new company and they need to deliver on the promise, especially as it's a kickstarter project. Can't wait, though! :)

@Emblem To be fair it could be coming out in the next few months. There's only one month left in 2013.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Azikira I hear you. I'm getting ready to release a game with only one partner and it is stunning how long every little change can take even after decades of programming experience. :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

No worries, plenty of games to play in the meantime. They'll have less competition when they release as well.

Morph

Morph said:

Dont like updates after release, id sooner they just released it complete in the first place

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Yeah, I don't mind so much because I'd rather wait a few more months for a better game.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Treasurenauts has just been delayed to Q1 2014 as well. Lame :( oh well, if it means the games are amazing then I don't mind too much!

Azikira

Azikira said:

@aaronsullivan Well when you're self-taught, things do tend to take a lot longer too. Me and my friend are working on a game together, but he wants to be the one to program it so I just stick with the art~ Honestly it'll probably be a few years before we actually release it.

Artwark

Artwark said:

I'm still looking forward for this one.

Until then I'm getting Wario Land 3!!!!!!!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Nintendo does this all the time. They get people hyped with a large 'n tastey arsenal of titles and ultimately delay 50% of their exlusives until the next year to fine tune them to perfection, or so they say. :P

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Oh, I totally DIDN'T SEE this coming! Didn't they already push it for later release a while ago?

brianvgplayer

brianvgplayer said:

@Blizzaga I doubt that's the case since none of the footage shown thus far has been of the 3DS version. Even on that Nintendo Direct with the part on indie games, only the Wii U version was shown.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

No complaints here. I have WAYYYY too many games on my hands to play through, right now, as it is.

Pod

Pod said:

That's cool, that's cool.

They committed to quite the extra amount of work through reaching all their stretch goals, so I'm looking forward to seeing everything in there.