Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Gets Closer to Western Release With New Rating

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No objection to this development

Way back in August we finally had confirmation that Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney was being localised for an early 2014 release in both Europe and North America. Updates since then have been non-existent, however, so it's reassuring that the title has now been rated by the Australian Classification Board, which often serves as an indication of releases going through final preparations.

This title hit Japan in 2012, so its eventual arrival in the West will undoubtedly be welcome. It's a mashup of two popular characters, of course, which is enough to get us interested right from the off.

If you're still not sure whether this appeals to you, perhaps the extended trailer from last year's Tokyo Games Show will win you over.

CaveDweller

CaveDweller said:

Much whooping.

I love the Ace Attorney games, so any excuse to play another is perfectly alright with me.

Eldoon

Eldoon said:

It'll be nice to finally play the game I originally got a 3DS for. I hope it's alright.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! Though I really want to try to get the 3DS Layton games & the 3DS Pheonix eShop game before I get the crossover game...

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

As a fan of Layton, I may give this a try, but I gotta say I'm not a big fan of this kind of crossover. Their drawing styles are just so different... I don't know, their coming together seems tacked on to me.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Day one. Now I just gotta get caught up with Ace Attorney so I'm prepared when this epic finally hits our shores.

Shambo

Shambo said:

FINALLY some news about it. Day one, if Ace Attorney doesn't object to physical release... Again.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

That's sick!!! One of the most two famous detectives in the gaming history in one game! I'll be sure to pick this up! :D

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I must finish the HD trilogy on iOS and Dual Destinies before this is released. How many ace attorney games are there? I've found the following:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trials & Tribulations
Justice for All
Dual Destinies
Miles Edgeworth
Apollo Justice

I've got the first three in an HD trilogy and downloaded Dual Destinies on 3DS. Would like to play them all before the crossover comes out, if anyone can tell me if I've listed them all here.

Late

Late said:

@ledreppe: You have every game listed other than Japanese exclusive Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2. Miles Edgeworth games are spin-offs as far as I know so they shouldn't be absolute must-plays.

Jorzha

Jorzha said:

I just finished the amazing AA dual destinies (pluss the DLC) and now they're coming out with this. HNNNGGG can't wait =D Ace attorney is one of my favorite video game franchise ^^

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

(Gaming) Life is great. 2013 has been epic so far and the epics will continue way into 2014. :) Glad to be a 3DS/Wii U owner.

TopLaytonsHat

TopLaytonsHat said:

Sweet! I just changed my desktop background to them last night! Good timing or what? I'm so hyped for this!!!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Oh, but they are, or at least the first one is since its the only one in english. Being a spin-off doesn't mean its any less in quality. Its as good as or even better than the actual main series.

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

I'm playing the Dual Destinies DLC right now and I'm expecting to get the last Layton game for Christmas, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one coming out next year :)

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

YES! I can't wait for this! Especially since I've heard this is placed before Azran Legacy!! So I'll have to play this before Azran.

Oh screw it! I'll play them in any order!
But I still have to plat Ace Attorney Saga first... Snap! What do I do :'( hahahahaha

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

The new Ace Attorney has made me fall in love with the series all over again. Now all I need to do is get back into Layton, and finish the last two games, then play this game, then I can focus on pestering Capcom for the second Edgeworth game to be localised, and for another new Ace Attorney game.
throws SD cart to the floor
ANOTHER!!!

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

@ ledreppe: Pretty close. If only Capcom had use numbers like their Japanese titles. In order of when they released in the USA (Japanese title in []):

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [Turnabout Courtroom 1] DS
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All [Turnabout Courtroom 2] DS
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations [Turnabout Courtroom 3] DS
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney [Turnabout Courtroom 4] DS
  • Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - Investigations [Turnabout Detective]
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Duel Destinies [Turnabout Courtroom 5] 3DS

There is a "Turnabout Detective 2", but it has not been translated into English. Although a fan translation is in the progress (case 1 & 2 translated).

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

While it's unlikely, I'm really hoping this will be really early 2014 for Aus, as in January.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

well at least capcom is doing the right thing, all we need now is the n.american localization of the second game of miles investigations and add it to the eshop (or physical copy, or both)

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

This was the game that originally made me a purchase a 3DS, so I can't wait to get my hands on PLvs.AA!

FrostFlare

FrostFlare said:

Here comes lots of dramatic finger pointing! This game certainly deserves a Western release; after all, both characters have a huge fan base in both America and Europe.

Late

Late said:

@Bass_X0: I meant absolute must-plays before playing Layton vs. Wright. Just forgot to add the last part. :)

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

i will admit that i never played any layton games and dont even like them, however that might change after getting my hands on this game

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Never played an Ace game, although I never understood how you make a game out of a courtroom drama

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I was really excited when this game was announced and then it hit the localization wall.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I can't wait, both series are amazing! Both series are a must-have for DS/3DS owners.