Pokémon Bank Withdrawn From 3DS eShop in Japan as Nintendo Network Issues Continue

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Western release on 27th December in doubt

Since Christmas Day there have been serious problems with the Nintendo Network, with the big N assuring gamers that its working hard to resolve the issue. At the time of writing various online games are functional, but there are still problems with both eShop platforms and the 3DS version of Miiverse across territories. Some seem to be lucky enough to have been able to access either eShop at some point, though for most it seems the issues are ongoing and unrelenting.

It's now emerged that Pokémon Bank — released on 25th December in Japan — has been taken offline and removed from the 3DS eShop, as per an official statement on Nintendo's Japanese website; it has been attributed as part of the cause of the network issues. Those that have downloaded the app in Japan will have their free 30-day trial start from scratch once it's available again, though no estimated date has been given for its return.

In other communications Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America have also cited high user traffic — most likely from new systems being fired up and new users attempting to set up Nintendo Network IDs — which, aligned with the Pokémon Bank launch in Japan, seems to have caused the server meltdowns that are still an issue at the time of writing.

Pokémon Bank and the accompanying Poké Transporter apps are due on the 27th December in Western territories, but that must now be in doubt; the official North American game page still states 27th December, yet Serebii is reporting that the release date is now showing as TBC in both the North American and European eShop stores — due to the network issues we are unable to verify the latter.

Today's Nintendo Download update for North America is also yet to be issued, most likely due to the company holding back on releasing details until the stores are back online — we would expect that contingencies will be put in place to extend any limited-time discounts that are currently inaccessible. We are checking regularly for the download information and will post as usual once the official list is provided.

What seemed like an initial Christmas Day server overload has now become a two day affair, and certainly more damaging for Nintendo. Hopefully normal service will resume soon.

[via polygon.com]

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

We're getting Super Punch Out for Wii U VC and Mario Tennis GBC for 3DS VC. No Super Mario Bros. 3 today, Nintendo never keeps promises.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Kawaii_Neko I never produce the Download Update based on game page dates, due to the fact they can sometimes be wrong — and have been in the past. Once Nintendo of America updates its official press site and / or emails the official list, we'll post as soon as we can :)

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

And this is why physical games are superior to downloaded versions. You have a machine, you have a game, put them both together and straight away you're playing a game. Anything to do with digital purely relies on the other side to function correctly.

Sonic260

Sonic260 said:

@EarthboundBenjy
"Anything to do wtih digital purely relies on the other side to function correctly"
That only applies to the initial download, and your comment implies that a console MUST be connected only for a digital game to play at all. That's completely wrong.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I wish they would make an announcement about the NA Pokemon Bank. A lot of the communities I have been to, say that it "has been delayed" but that is just an assumption (and a good one) at this point.

Artwark

Artwark said:

Why of all the things in the world does Nintendo end up suffering the most when it comes down to it?????? XD

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

A friend of mine was trying to link up his 3DS to the Nintendo Network with his Wii U ID and he told me he was unable to. Most likely because of these issues. I told him to give it some time.

Teaqq2

Teaqq2 said:

I wonder when it'll come back up. I got a $20 eShop card yesterday and I want to use it. :(

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Wednesday : Christmas
Thursday : Super Mario Bros. 3
Friday : Pokemon Bank
Only the first day went thru good, except the eShop.....

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@OdnetninAges It is, yeah. I was blasé on Christmas Day. Steam and PSN had issues, too, and it's the norm for networks to be patchy on big days. This is dragging on though, and it seems the Bank app getting a 25/12 release in Japan was - in hindsight - a really bad decision.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

On one hand, this means lots of new systems for 3DS, and more importantly, Wii U, are now out in the wild, but on the other it also means Nintendo still doesn't have a full grasp of online functionality. :p

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

The Nintendo Download info for today is available from the usual news2know.net site.

• Dr. Luigi™ For Wii U
  • Super Punch-Out!!™ For Wii U Virtual Console
  • Mario Tennis™ For Nintendo 3DS™ Virtual Console
  • Pokémon™ Bank For Nintendo 3DS™ - Available Dec. 27
  • CastleStorm (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
  • Bird Mania Christmas 3D (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
  • Cubit The Hardcore Platformer Robot (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
  • EDGE (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
  • info on eShop sales.
EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@Sonic260
I'm aware how it works, but I can see how my comment could be misinterpreted.
I'm a retro collector, so I'm quite concerned for a future where certain games or add-on DLC will become completely unplayable due to various online services going down.
If my original Wii or 3DS dies, then my games are gone and I have to rely on a functioning connection again to get them back. This is why I put every Virtual Console and WiiWare game on my SD card, even though Nintendo will let you download them back from the shop at any time. But doing that doesn't even help, since the games on the card will only run on the original Wii anyway.
If in 10 years or so this Wii dies, then I'm completely out of luck, and all my WiiWare games will be gone forever. It's such a distressing thought.
If there existed a service where I could choose any given downloaded games to be put on a Wii disc, I'd love that. I would put Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 on a disc, along with their respective DLC modes, then that would be amazing. I would be able to bring them around to friends' Wiis and keep them forever. But oh well.//

I just don't want to be locked out of my things due to forces out of my control.
With a physical game, this problem only applies to online-related things. And this sort of thing has already affected some games. With Metroid Prime 3, for instance, it's now completely impossible to get all of the items in the credit shop because of the ludicrous and purposeless WiiConnect24 system they decided to throw in for the heck of it. Did they not even anticipate a problem?

Goginho

Goginho said:

Wow, this issue is dragging on longer than I thought it would. I expected to have SMB 3 downloaded by now. Oh well, I guess I can wait :P

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Nintendo changes into its regular alter ego... Nintendoffline. Useless. I wonder why so many gamers prefer the other main consoles... mmmm... could it be that their online systems are more reliable. I love my 3ds but hate the way that unreliable Nintendo change things / delete things and then do a pathetic half assed job of the replacement.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

The serious issue of the Nintendo Network being down happened during my 3DS to 3DS system transfer and I lost almost all my save data because of it. Upset, upset, upset.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

We need more servers because the amount of servers we have now ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Nooooo this sucks. Worst part is they're only taking it down because of serve issues, they don't even care about the hacked pokemon getting through. Zeus curse thee Game Freak!

Selene

Selene said:

If mario bros 3 isnt released once eshop gets bk up, im going to be really upset, and might not buy games for a while. They PROMISED it b4 end of the year!! All i want is my3ds vc games, and theres too few good ones coming out recently from nintendo's own systems. At least sega released some genesis ones, but i only have ecco and sonic cuz i dont like fighting, racing, sports, or shooting games...

schizor

schizor said:

@Dyl_73 PSN and Xbox live have had worse times than this. So that's a bad argument. :-) Worst one I remember is "the hacking og PSN" a couple of years ago.

Error3

Error3 said:

@Zach777

WO! That sucks you got the worst of it man.

I just can't play Pokemon X online because in need an update to do so. (I'm still pissed about that) At this point its not feeling like my $50 was well spent.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

People are lashing out on Nintendo's social media accounts as if the people in charge of the accounts are even remotely part of eShop maintenance. There are rare occasions where Reggie is on the account, but not even he can fix this issue. It's up to the eShop maintenance crew to fix this.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

@Uberchu

Tech support is unavailable. They have an automated number and they disabled their e-mail because oft he NNID thing. Call the number and see for yourself. Something worse than they are saying must have happened.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

that moment when i spent 2 hours getting my gen 5 pokemon ready for poke transfer, then went to serebii and saw the crushing news.... my soul was crushed....

rjejr

rjejr said:

It's not just Nintendo though. Bought a PS+ card on sale BF and couldn't get it to work until Saturday. Releasing the PS4 in th eEU on B probably wasn t asmart idea by Sony either.

does make me feel good I bought my Wii U in Aug for my birthday rather than getting it as a Christmas present. Must have been difficult to get all those updates. I know the Wii U would work w/o them but it would have bothered me. We got 3 Wii U games yesterday - SM3DW, Lego Marvel adn Swap Force adn all 3 have been played w/o incident. Well 1 incident Ninjini doesn't work, going to return her now and hopefully find a new functioning 1. No digital adn no problems for us.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Lame. nintendo should have prepared for this. And now they delayed pokemon bank.

Ninty, I am dissapoint.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

And this is why I was planning to wait on Pokémon Bank. Anything involving multiple servers like that is bound to run into some trouble at first. As long as it doesn't take weeks to fix, I'll live.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I'm not going to watch my language here - if this ends up screwing up the Super Mario Bros. 3 first-week-discount and the Pokébank's release, I'm gonna be ANNOYED.

In future, please do watch the language, thanks much. ~Raylax

Megapokepaul

Megapokepaul said:

I am soooooooooo mad right now !!!! I have 3 box of shiny and 2 box of events from all over the world but ....AHHHHHH NINTENDO !!!!! WHY ?????!!!BTW i am searching for a shiny honedge or shiny noibat i have aLOT of shiny soo if you are interested please let me know;)

rikkisix

rikkisix said:

Eh, this is quite common when alot of big things come out for anything really. Oh well, what can you do.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

HEY! GAIZ! Lets release this highly anticipated APP for -free- at the exact same time everyone is going to be starting up their new Wii-us and 3DSes and getting online! BRILLIANT!

Akuma_Yoru

Akuma_Yoru said:

It's funny, the past days local headlines are about how electronic payments were overloaded to such fashion people couldn't pay for over two hours on the most crucial shopping period before Christmas. Now people with eShop cards eager to buy their Christmas present cannot shop, it seems the world is not entirely ready for this "all-digital" thing that is taking over if we are to believe it all. Boxed retail for the win ? I know I for one changed again, I only by eShop only games digital, all the rest box + game card.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

Well, we should all chill out - If we all got aboard a train at the same time on a Friday evening , after work, just before Xmas- we would all be complaining about overcrowding and some people wouldn't be able to travel.. but the trains will return to normal It's just C'est La Vie! It's only once a year. . .and it's going to be alright because it is something that can be fixed and it isn't a life threatening ( I guess) Problem . .

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I heard a family at work today say they will be returning their son's 3DS XL because of the eShop login issues. A lot of people don't understand what the delay is for and don't really care, they are just returning their systems. Nintendo, take note. Update servers! And why on Earth is America's e-shop tied to Japanese servers?!

Patchouli

Patchouli said:

This is not acceptable. Nintendo should have updated the servers before a huge amount of people try to use them. If this delays my transfer of legendaries to X, I will be very annoyed.

Inkling

Inkling said:

Why is everyone bashing Nintendo? Xbox Live has been down for 2 weeks now! :P

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

I see this as both an excellent thing and bad thing. Sever overload means that, over millions of people tried to connect at once. That shows interest. On the other hand it means they have to be prepared for this sort of stuff and they weren't.

Same with PSN/PS4, so many people connecting the servers have to be upgraded to be able to handle all of that. (I couldn't sign on PSN or use my card due to maintenance Saturday and Tuesday).

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Xbox Live has not been down for UK users. More fanboy lies. I've been playing GTA online and downloading games on their sale every day for a week with no problem. I've been playing Journey on PSN and downloading from their sale with no problem. Steam went down for 30 minutes when they gave away Left 4 Dead 2 for free, not offline for 2 days.

This should not be expected. Sony and MS dealt with millions of new consoles on one day, and sure they had issues, but not everything down for 2 days! You get what you pay for with free online.

bluecat

bluecat said:

I was able to get on very late last night, but it was super sluggish and I couldn't get some game pages to fully load. Haven't tried today. And then this happens. I know it's a lot to handle and I'm super glad they are so popular right now that servers are crashing but if Pokemon is partly to blame for this, shouldn't they have seen it coming? Cause it's ya know...Pokemon? XD

xj0462

xj0462 said:

@ThomasBW84 releasing pokemon bank near xmas for all countries was a WHORRIBLE DESICION!!!! why couldnt they release pokemon bank on the week x and y came out?!

remlapgamer

remlapgamer said:

This is a minor set back and we should all be patient. We can't live in the now all the time. Just give it a couple of days-possibly even a week or two, and things will be back to normal.

steamtrain

steamtrain said:

@Peach64

Well, I remember a Steam sale not very long ago, the servers were overloaded for at least one day, maybe even three, but it felt like a week.

So it is to be expected.

And that's why Nintendo should've been better prepared, and the customers should be patient.

It is like when you go to the store to get the latest fad toy i.e., and you know somebody will not get it, and you have to prepare mentally that this might be you.

Sure, now almost nobody got "it", but you are not frustrated for anybody else but you, and in some time everybody will actually get "it".

Be thankful for that possibility.

I am sure that Nintendo is both embarrassed and disappointed.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Fixing servers isn't like flicking a switch. You have to find the problem, fix the problem, make sure fix works, roll it out. It is most likely because so many NNIDs have been registered in such a short amount of time the server hasn't been able to keep up the pace and register them quick enough, causing issues amongst all the online parts.

I would think by tomorrow or Monday everything will be back to normal. Nintendo should have thought ahead, but hey... Hindsight is 20/20.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

Nothing changes the fact that Nintendo should have been prepared for this all along. Remember when Flipnote had major sever issues, so it got delayed for the West indefinitely (as well as other later issues, but never mind that stupidity)? They need to learn from their mistakes.

And I'm expecting some kind of compensation for this in the form of eShop credit. Nintendo are slowly running out of chances in my eyes.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@lividd3ad Now let's not get greedy. Nintendo doesn't owe us anything.

I don't even get why people freak out so hard about this. Nintendo will surely keep in mind that the missed discounts of the past two days need to roll out later on. I'm certain they won't just go "Tough luck" on you folks. With the exception of @Zach777 's save data, nothing is lost yet.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

oh give it a rest people for christ sake. It's just a hiccup, calm down. Last year my sister bought one of those kid ipads for my nephew and we tried to set everything up but the whole server was down for a week before we could do anything with it. These things happen and Nintendo isn't the only company it happens to, nor will it be the very last time it happens to them. Also stop turning this into some stupid console war crap.

King47

King47 said:

They better fix their online infrastructure before Kart and Smash come out. And if X (Xenoblade 2) and other games have online gameplay, they really need to fix this.

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I got excited for the 3DS Miiverse release, but the extremely slow log in and loading made lose all interest, though it does look very interesting. eshop always loads very slowly, they better work on it. I'm not mad for this server crash, but I fear it will take Nintendo a decade before they start doing anything about it. So it seems these crashes will persist and reappear.

remlapgamer

remlapgamer said:

@xj0462 I know it's hard to wait, I bought my son $150 worth of e-shop cards for Christmas and we check about every 2 hours on our Wii-U and 3DS and we finally made it to a very slow moving Wii-U e-shop once and still can't get through with the 3DS. The huge upside is the impact on developers views of the Wii-U and the install base. We will be surprised at Nintendo's Christmas turnout and they will resolve this and attempt to prevent it in the future. Gottta hate it, but you gotta love it to. Everyone will be better off in the long run. Maybe it will be resolved sooner rather than later.

JaySonsa1298

JaySonsa1298 said:

"Hi, Pokémon fans. As you may know, we are currently experiencing a large volume of traffic on the Nintendo Network service. Due to the high traffic, we are postponing the launch of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter until further notice...."-Nintendo Of America

Not trying to be an angry impatient New Yorker here but...NOT EVEN A OFFICIAL FRIGGIN DATE? JUST "Until further notice"!? SMH AT NINTY RIGHT NOW.

JaySonsa1298

JaySonsa1298 said:

@Trikeboy No. I'm just saying that this is ridiculous(and i know about it letting hacked Pokemon through) Nintendo is making themselves look like a mess, and now they're letting their fans down by giving them NO indication as to when it will be resolved or when the actual app be released. "Until further notice" can mean ANYTHING in terms of time.

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

'Sigh'...So we basically have yet another delay... I'm getting sick of these delays Nintendo. Why wasn't this foreseen?

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

@JaySonsa1298 That is exactly what I think, I have been waiting to see my GAME store special event shiny Dialga, Shiny Palkia and Shiny Giratina from Pokemon Black 2 on my Pokemon Y, not just to fight with but to see how they look in Pokemon Y

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

You kids act like they did this intentionally or if like they are the only company that have these kind of issues. Steam and even PSN have way more of this stuff oftenly and lasts more. When was the last time this happened with Nintendo?

Fanboys are really annoying,

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I'm waiting for Pokemon Bank too. My White 2 is brimming with Pokemon that I want to transfer. I have an almost complete living pokedex waiting for 3D battles. I am patient though. It will be released when it works and that is good enough for me.

Gashole

Gashole said:

I was able to get in oh-so-briefly around 4:30 EST, and was stunned to find nothing worth buying. It's one thing to have a Christmas Crash, but it's totally another to screw up on NOT releasing SMB 3 in NA, the only region of its kind not to get it. Nintendo's in DEEP cow dung.

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

I wonder if in the future if they do 'EVENTUALLY' release Pokemon Bank they will make it possible to trancefer Pokemon that ARE available on Pokemon B & W and B2 & W2 back onto them games.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

@EarthboundBenjy True. Because nothing ever goes wrong with physical games. Discs don't get scratched or lost, read lenses don't get dirty, stores don't stock out... Physical games are clearly without flaw!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

@Peach64 I would rather deal with the eShop being down for a few days once a year than have to pay a fee every month in order to play multiplayer games, thanks. This inconvenience will be a memory in a couple days, but you'll still be paying for Xbox Live for as long as you want to keep playing the games. Sorry, I think the free service wins.

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

Everybody I just tried going on the eshop and it came up with 'Nintendo eShop is currently undergoing maintenance'

xj0462

xj0462 said:

POKEMON BANK ISNT BEING RELEASED TOMOROR!? THIS IS LUDICROUS!!! STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHY THEY SHOULD HAVE RELEASED POKEMON BANK THE DAY X AND Y CAME OUT!! GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON,T!!!

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@xj0462 if Pokebank isn't ready today and cause the eshop to crash, it wouldn't have been ready the release of Pokemon. Hundreds of people would not have been able to download the games. Simple fact time. The application isn't working and will not be released until it is. This is Nintendo we are talking about, they only release software that actually works.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Or maybe you would be happy with another case of what happened to the PS3 release of Skyrim?

battleroyalefan

battleroyalefan said:

@Uberchu I called Nintendo Support a little bit ago it said that there are no people available because so many are calling but they do no about the errors and are trying to fix them

battleroyalefan

battleroyalefan said:

Ok people listen up. Dont talk bad about the servers. The nintendo servers were built very large, but nintendo had not anticipated that this many people would make an id for it. For those wanting to call NOA, dont bother. So many people are calling it will take days to get someone. I am really mad too. I planned on buyimg a bunch of eshop cards and spending them on the wii sports club but the servers will be back up soon. It is still possible to go online on wii u browser (not sure about 3ds) and do things like miiverse and stuff so really this is the only problem. Just gove them some timw. Im giving them 2 more days. If it isnt fixed, i will call again and again until i get someone and will write what NOA saya this is

battleroyalefan

battleroyalefan said:

@xj0462 I just thought of something. Of the Pokwmon Bank was released the day of X and Y, this may have still happened. Nintendo still would have all of those people making ids or linking them, and billions of people on the eshop when smb3 comes out. If that happened, it would most likely hold this off fpr a few days.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

Oh no! The network issues popping up in the homeland market with Pokémon Bank - this is Flipnote Studio 3D all over again!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I was finally able to get into the eShop earlier. Downloaded a demo and a sale item. It's working again, folks.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Well, I just found Pokemon Bank on the eShop.

"Nintendo 3DS Download Only"

Then:

"Available at your local Retailer"

Brilliant. Although, getting the eShop back online was the main priority, so I'm glad they did that. Something as small as a typo is nothing in comparison to an entire network going offline...

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I just accessed the eShop. Downloaded Super Mario Bros. 3, but when I touched the Pokémon Bank icon, a "The software has been updated" message popped up, causing the eShop to reload... with the Pokémon Bank nowhere in sight, and when I used the Search option, the release date changed to "not available".

This is Nelson Muntz-level trolling, right there.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

this is why ppl get pissed off when it really matters they should make sure everything goes well or even over expect the situations -_- not fair in a way how one country got pkbank for a few days then while its suppose to release for the rest bam they get nothing

Dorpster

Dorpster said:

@battleroyalefan- To be honest, I don't see why it would be such a 'surprise' especially when they're now REQUIRING the use of a Nintendo ID to even view the eShop and download apps/demos/games. Seems like common sense to me, really.

@Devilbro- I whole-heartedly agree. Some seem to forget that there is SKILL and STRATEGY involved. Wrong though about the transferred 'mons being allowed in Wi-fi though; they only can't be used in VGC. So Battle Spot is still open to that.

I have to say I am grateful that at least eShop if functioning properly and those who need the latest patch can download it and access the online features.

Something tells me too that releasing Bank so close tho Christmas still want the best move ever; might have been a little more manageable if it was moved to January in the first place.

IMO they should re-release the bank for download at some random, unannounced time so there's a slightly less chance of people flooding eshop again.