Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter Releases Delayed in the West

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo Network issues cited as the cause

Boxing Day was an odd day in the world of Nintendo Downloads. Issues with the Nintendo Network continued, while Nintendo disabled Pokémon Bank and withdrew it from the eShop in Japan; it emerged that the launch of the app on 25th December in the company's homeland had contributed to the issues we've encountered.

Nintendo of America also failed to update its press page with the region's download update information, yet despite the ongoing eShop issues the information did appear as a press release on a PR-centric business website. You can see the Nintendo Download Americas information here, but unsurprisingly one detail has proven incorrect. As we suggested may have been the case due to its issues in Japan, Nintendo has now officially delayed the release of Pokémon Bank in the West — both Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe have posted the following message.

Release of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter postponed due to a large volume of traffic to the Nintendo Network service

Nintendo and The Pokémon Company International have postponed the launch of Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter – two software applications that were originally scheduled to launch for Nintendo 3DS on Dec. 27 – due to a large volume of traffic to the Nintendo Network service. Due to the high traffic, players are having trouble setting up Nintendo Network IDs and downloading content in the Nintendo eShop on both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. We truly regret the inconvenience, and wish to reassure everyone that providing a solution is our top priority. We apologise for the delay and thank you for your continued patience.

We've recently been able to access both the 3DS and Wii U eShop platforms on our UK systems for the first time since 25th December, and the updated eShop content is in place.

The Nintendo Network Status pages are still reporting ongoing issues with eShop access, so once the company gives the all-clear we'll update our original article.

Are you disappointed with this delay to the Pokémon X & Y online app?

Thanks to Jack Treese for the heads up.

MysticX

MysticX said:

I love how Pokémon bank is still mentioned in the release list on the eShop itself, as well as being listed in the store with a "not yet released"-notice, way to bring up hopes and then crush them in under a minute, Nintendo :P

Seriously though, who up there in Nintendo HQ thought that waiting two and a half months and releasing "Pokémon bank" right in the busiest system update/eShop buying-time (Lots of systems sold for Xmas) was going to be a good idea?

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

flipnote studio 3d all over again, next time the West should get first try to make things fair. ;)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@MysticX Well, it would go pretty good with all those Xs and Ys sold ;) And a little more traffic is ok, but nobody could guess that the whole network would collapse :D

MysticX

MysticX said:

@Einherjar Well, they stacked two high-traffic events on top of each other (Christmas surge and Pokémon bank), i expected slowdowns and stuff, but almost three days of the network going entirely belly-up? That was surprisingly spectacular fail even to a pessimist like me...

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

As I said in another article:
"I just accessed the eShop. Downloaded Super Mario Bros. 3, but when I touched the Pokémon Bank icon, a 'The software has been updated' message popped up, causing the eShop to reload... with the Pokémon Bank nowhere in sight, and when I used the Search option, the release date changed to 'not available'.
This is Nelson Muntz-level trolling, right there."

Oh well, it means we'll have to count on Wonder Trade for a while. I already got a Turtwig from Japan.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

However, here's a joke to lighten up the mood...

Isn't it ironic? Early Bank users will get Celebi... the time travel Pokémon! Paradoxes ahoy!

LastLife

LastLife said:

All this Nintendo Network chaos has really made our video game hobby more stressful than enjoyable. My little brother got a shiny new pokemon edition 3DS XL and got an error code in the middle of the system transfer. Now his old 3DS is wiped and the game save data won't load on the new system. The old SD card still shows his save data on the new XL, but the game still acts as if there is no save data.

Now when they release the Pokémon Bank, he might not have a game to transfer to. I really hope his save is not lost, hundreds of hours... IV breeding... shinies found... makes him want to cry thinking about it :-(

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Havent finished white 2 yet. I just hope i will be able to get the torchic they are giving away till Jan. 15th

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm not surprised. it's not really bothering me though since I can't find my copy of black 2 anyways and am planning on buying a copy of white 2 with my Christmas money I get today. As long as the eShop is working and I can download some games for my shiny new Wii U, I'm happy.

Artwark

Artwark said:

I don't think Nintendo is the only one have Network traffics. And even so, I'm pretty positive that a few days later, Its all fixed in a snap. ;)

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

Didn't Nintendo remember this 'is the season to be jolly' so they better get Pokemon Bank on the eShop as SOON AS POSSIBLE!

MAB

MAB said:

Pokeheads got by without a stupid cloud bank thingumajig in the past... Why is it such a big issue now ;)

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

@MAB people were really P'd off when they didn't release Pokemon Bank on the release day of Pokemon X & Y so couldn't Nintendo see how P'd off people would be if they did this (not releasing it on the set date)

Patchouli

Patchouli said:

Honestly, who didn't see this coming? I hope that Poke bank comes online before
2014. :(

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

How many times has NL used that "sad Pikachu" picture? It's used every single time anything bad involving Pokemon happens.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

What would people rather have? An application that doesn't work that requires many patches and downtime, or something that actually works on release?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

like usual japan gets something but as soon as the rest of the world is about to get it nope bam you get a bag of nothing :P

but hey least it stops those ppl who already transfered hacked 6iv legends and what not for the mean time -_- i swear the should stop the greedy cloners

bigbankwill

bigbankwill said:

I want TWO free legendaries now...one for the release, and another for emotional consolidation...!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@MysticX Yep, it was simply too much in too little time. MiiVerse merging, NNID implementation as a global ID, account ballance merging, NNID implementation acting as a global mass sign up of countless "new" accounts, massive holliday sales, good contend updates on both eshops etc.
In some ways, its a good sign. Nintendos systems are SO alive, that they are breaking down again :D
I have no doubts that this will get resolved soon, but it will take some tinkering here and there. And judging by past experiences and how nintendo reacts to stuff like that (Ambassador program for overpriced 3DS systems etc) we might even benefit from such a breakdown, but i wuldnt count on that.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

Yes I'm extremely disappointed. I spent the last two week transferring my pokemon from emerald to platinum to black 2, in preparation for the pokebank. Now it was all a waste of time. Screw you, Nintendo

Morph

Morph said:

It pains me how unprepared nintendo are for these things, the simple fact that it's christmas should have seen them increase resources , plenty of new 3ds and wii u consoles connecting for the first time and downloading updates etc ppl downloadung games, christmas eshop sale, all those factors make it busy let alone launching a new poke app

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Hyperstar96
It depends. If the delay is long enough, I could well be too busy with, say, Retro City Rampage to even bother with the Bank anymore.

MysticX

MysticX said:

@MAB We got by without a pointless cloud-storage thing because back then the possibility to transfer pokémon across generations was IN THE BLOODY GAMES! And since (to me at least) the biggest appeal in pokémon is in training and using the pokémon i like best (And of which hardly any are in X or Y), this is a pretty big deal to me.

Nintendo decided to couple transferring to a paid cloudstorage thing (that nobody ever asked for) and tried to sweeten the deal with a "Is this thing legel?"-check, now they tried to release it at the single worst time of year for that sort of thing and the whole damn thing is biting them in the backside bigtime, stellar job nintendo!

Oh yeah, to add insult to injury: when i tried the eShop just now, it gave me error-messages again, that's legendary fail right there.

Midayle

Midayle said:

I am still trying to download the Legend of Zelda a Link between worlds from the download ticket that came with my 3DSXL. It is nice they are reducing the strain on the servers, but I will only buy physical copies of Nintendo games in the future because of this.

Nintendo has failed to provide a service I paid for. If I can not get Zelda 3DS soon, I might just take an easier route (and buy the physical version).

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@BlatantlyHeroic Nintendo aren't blameless they could of prepared a lot better, I myself am fine as I have SM3DW and a new PS Vita with Tearaway to keep me occupied. ;)

MysticX

MysticX said:

@BlatantlyHeroic Nintendo are to blame for not seeing a traffic spike coming at christmas, or seeing a traffic spike coming when they release the companion-app to a millions-selling game, or indeed seeing a HUGE traffic-spike coming when both those things happen at the same time

Seriously, nintendo make great games and hardware, but they need to hire somebody new to help with planning...

PokeMario

PokeMario said:

This better not get delayed for 5+ months like Flipnote Studio 3D. We still don't have a release date for that either. I hope we get Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter within the next week.

dings

dings said:

Maybe they'll pull a Sony and give us a free game or credit after the downtime

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@MegaGarchomp527
Ouch! Didn't remember that!
Well, it's not like the US is going to get the middle finger. Not with SMB3.
Heck, think about Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and other stuff that took ages before they came to Europe!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@dings If this keeps up, they sure should... I was really looking forward to transfer my competitive team to play the battle mansion in Y.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Lame. Really. Nintendo blew it this time. :/
Worst of all, the japanese already got it, so its kinda unfair.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Nintendo should fix their servers first, because you don't want to lose your Pokémon due to a server failure, now do you?

TheMagus

TheMagus said:

@MAB Maybe because in the past, we didn't need the stupid cloud/bank thing to transfer our pokemon!

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Well, with both the Wii U and 3DS eShop working fine again since last night, I think they should be able to launch the Pokebank. But if they're uncomfortable with that, it's fine, I can wait for my Oshawott egg :p I have been since the game launched, so a few more days won't hurt.

JustinH

JustinH said:

I'm way too busy to start uploading my decade or so of Pokemon onto X. This stinks but I'm being patient about it.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

What a bunch of impatient whiners. They should have anticipated a rise in traffic, and they probably did, just not enough. The eshop is back up now and Mario 3 is available. Pokemon Bank isn't ready for release. Rather than release buggy software, they decided to delay it until it works. Nintendo was faced with a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. If they release buggy software, everyone would complain and bad reviews would circle.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

You guys suuuuuuuure do like to use that thumbnail of Pikachu crying whenever there's bad news regarding Pokemon, don't ya?

2Sang

2Sang said:

This is really bad professionally. They should have been on top of this. Not a huge deal, though.

liampaulmassey

liampaulmassey said:

@Trikeboy cheers, yes I did mean the Gardevoir, I just thought i'm sure I recognise that face, but one thing I wanna recognise/see again is pokemon bank on the main page of the eShop

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I hope this motivates Nintendo to further enhance their online infrastructure so their servers can handle more people. I'm hoping that they indeed sold a lot more Wii Us and 3DS handhelds so we all do need to let them do their thing.

It sucks that I have to wait until tomorrow to access the eShop since I just bought a $20 points card to download more games.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

Does every company think "Hmm we are going to be very busy if we release this during the holidays. Oh well, minimal server support check."

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@MAB
"only kiddie Pokemans"
Witness the storyline in Pokémon Black, White, X and Y and then come back at us. And I think I'm speaking for everyone here.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

I'm alright with this. It's created an interesting trading environment where people are still trying to get a hold of these previously unavailable Pokemon but with scarcer resources.

XboxSupport

XboxSupport said:

@ alexsora89 black and white/ black and white 2 had an amazing storyline but my favorites are ruby/sapph and silver/gold. And thanks for the support :)

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I havn't been able to access the eShop at all for a number of days now, I think it was before Xmas, and when I tried again today it told me my region has been blocked due to how busy it was. I can wait for the Bank, I'm honestly not surprised this happened, I'm just disappointed I can't get anything else since there are some things on sale and a game I wanted to get. Also Pokemon X is telling me I have an update, but I can't do anything about it.

ROBLOGNICK

ROBLOGNICK said:

I'm surprised they didn't anticipate the surge of network activity this, coupled with new system registration over the Christmas period would bring. Though this is Nintendo who are very conservative, they probably underestimated on purpose so as not to spend too much. Oh well, lesson learned for them I suppose.

Ryankf

Ryankf said:

Still not up :( Nintendo i want my Dragonite on X and Y!!!! Maybe i'll give it to someone in japan they trade it to x and y and then trade it back to me? Nah... So Nintendo whens it gonna be fixed?