Nothing Would Make XSEED Happier Than Localising GameCenter CX 3, But It Isn't Happening

Posted by Damien McFerran

Retro-themed sequel could remain Japan-only

US publisher XSEED has ruled out localising the third GameCenter CX title, which means that the game could well remain a Japanese exclusive. The same fate befell GameCenter CX: Arino's Challenge 2, which XSEED passed on due to poor sales of Retro Game Challenge, the English version of the first GameCenter CX outing.

Responding to a fan question on its Facebook page, XSEED stated:

Nobody would be happier than us to publish it, but our bank would cry…

Based on the cult Japanese television show, the GameCenter CX series tasks players with making their way through segments of fictional retro titles. The third game — which is being developed by G.rev, the team behind Kokuga — is the first to come to the Nintendo 3DS, with the prequels both being DS-based.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

They won't even consider an eShop only release? The first game's dismal sales are Xseed's own fault for forcing english voices on to a game based on a Japanese TV show that is popular subtitled on the internet. Not dubbed. Also I think GCCX has gotten far more popular over the years & wasn't as popular when Retro Game Master was released. I think the DVD sales for Retro Game Master were good despite only being able to show the challenge segments of the show (same with the DVDs of the show sold in Japan so I've heard) & containing a lot of episodes which were already available free on the internet (iirc). They could probably get Zari-Gari to come in to the project & make the text translation even easier. Remember Xseed, nooooo dub!

ueI

ueI said:

I always thought the sequels looked more interesting. So even though I never bought the first one, I might have bought this one.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Loved the 1st one , but sadly this doesn't surprise me. I wish it would come over here, but I won't hold my breath.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

Loved the first one, watched many episodes of the show. This is a big let-down to retro gamers, and those who 'were there'.

TheWildWest

TheWildWest said:

@WiiLovePeace The first game was released on the Nintendo DS and contained no english voice-overs whats so ever. In fact, all of the GameCenter sequences were in english text, not voices.

Let's not resort to name calling here as it goes against our rules -Lz

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@TheWildWest But did it keep the Japanese voices? I don't remember hearing the Kacho yell stuff like "gama overe" or whatever, maybe that's only in the 2nd game?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@TheWildWest Here's what I'm talking about: listen at the 30 seconds mark or so, when the player is playing Cosmic Gate, some random english speaking guy says comments about what's happening on screen but in the Japanese version that's the Kacho talking.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Don't see why they cannot just subtitle it. (I like G-Rev I will get it straight away if it goes on the eshop no matter the price).

KingMike

KingMike said:

Wing Hero isn't Sky Kid in the other direction. :D

The issue with the other games is that the first two games were reportedly not designed with a Western release in mind, so they would require a lot of work reprogramming to create a localization. On top of the license itself being valuable, and thus expensive.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Unfortunately, it's understandable. The audience for a straight-up translation is probably not big enough to recoup costs, and if they overhauled the game to make sense to anyone not familiar with the show, it would be ridiculously expensive with no guarantee they'd make any money (see original Earthbound release), plus they'd annoy GCCX fans, ala the first game.

I wonder if a compromise would be releasing the retro games without challenges, etc (e.g. Rally King, Cosmic Gate, etc) as individual eShop titles would make any sense, kind of like they did with the Guild 01/02 titles. Then western gamers could at least enjoy the retro games, without xseed having to worry about localizing all the GCCX related portions. I imagine for most of the retro games, localization would be trivial.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@TwilightV Kickstarter would be a good idea for them. If it has enough demand to cover costs, produce it as a present to fans, if not then no harm done.

jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan said:

@WiiLovePeace First off all, the game was not dubbed. It still had the Japanese voices (which were just occasional sound clips anyway). Secondly, even if it did have English voices, which it didn't, why would that make it their fault that the game didn't sell well? I'm personally grateful they put so much work into that game. They even advertised it. It didn't sell. They would have been crazy to localize the second one. I wish someone would pick up the third for an eShop-only release, but these kinds of games are expensive to localize, and Xseed would be making a poor business decision to do it.

I think I want this game more than anyone, but don't blameshift.

jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan said:

@Captain_Toad It's an expensive game to translate and localize. It would still need to sell well on the eShop to even make a small profit. I wish Namco themselves would do it, but Xseed would not be smart after the money they lost on the first one. Unfortunately it's just not as simple as translating it and slapping it on the eShop.

jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan said:

@WiiLovePeace Weird, you're right... I never even noticed this game had English voices at all.

Xseed properly "localized" that first game. They didn't do it to upset people; they did it to try to make a profit. If they had made a profit, instead of losing money, we'd have gotten the second and we'd be getting the third.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@jesse_dylan sure it was "localised" correctly, by normal game standards. But this isn't a simple case of a Japanese game getting translated into English, like Super Mario 3D World or LoZ: A Link Between Worlds. Retro Game Challenge is special, part of the appeal to that game is that it is a game based on a Japanese TV show & therefore needs the Japanese voice of the host of the show to keep part of that appeal. It disappointed me, in any case...

A lot of people probably just wrote it off as a mini-game collection, which I guess it sort of is, but it's so much more than that. That plus the timing of the release was bad (not Xseed's fault) when the overseas GCCX fan base was nowhere near as large as it is now imo (as shown by the DVD sales). Hence I think an eShop-only release of the 3rd game would make sense, especially if they marketed it directly to the overseas GCCX fanbase, without english dubbing of course. & it could be an eShop-only release, cheaper than a retail + eShop release. They could even kickstart it if they wanted to, to give us GCCX fans a chance to play an awesome game... But I guess they won't, oh well. :(

TheKachoMan

TheKachoMan said:

Anyone not familiar with the show or the first game is really missing out. There are many episodes on Dailymotion and you should buy the DVD on amazon for proper support. The game is retro-grade challenging and fun to boot!