Notch "Not Aware of Any Plans" for Minecraft on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

That'll be that, then...

Earlier this week we shared a rumour that Minecraft was in development for Wii U, but urged that you take it with a bucket of salt. It originated from a claim based on an unnamed retail source, and while we wondered how a retailer would know that Mojang was working on Minecraft on Wii U development kits, it was certainly nice to think that the blocky open-world phenomenon would come to Nintendo's system.

Unfortunately Markus Persson — the creator of Minecraft better known as Notch — has told his legions of Twitter followers that he isn't aware of any plans right now for a Wii U version of the iconic game; he would know.

After plenty of replies, however, he did make clear that he understands the reasoning, but emphasized that the company has too much other work to make it a possibility at the moment.

So that's that. We'd suggest that, as the months and years go by we should hope for Mojang's next project to be available on Nintendo's console. It needs high-profile new games, not an old port of a game already owned by tens of millions of gamers on other systems. Let's hope that Notch's love for Nintendo makes that a possibility.

Thanks to Birdman for the tip.

Savino

Savino said:

Well, I dont really believe that someone was waiting the WiiU version to play this game... But it would be a good adition!

RickyNGmr

RickyNGmr said:

Seems like not necessary Notch is taking it out of the road, tho. He's recognizing it makes sense on the Wii U... "I <3 Nintendo".

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'd like to see them work on their other versions first. The Xbox version needs to catch up to the PC version, as it's still lagging behind.

Maneauleau

Maneauleau said:

I know it's an old game but the gamepad would be a great asset for this title I believe

Yosher

Yosher said:

Well, darn. I'm not much for building stuff personally but still woulda liked to have given this a try on Wii U.

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

Guess that's another game we're missing.
But fear not! For every two-three third party games we don't get, we get an outstanding first party game that is better.
I like to think like that but I'm getting tired of it :/

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

So the Wii U doesn't get an inferior port of a two year old game that literally anyone can get on the PC for free? Oh no, such sorrow. And it's funny how you have time to lazily port a PS3 version, but not a Wii U version with a few gamepad goodies thrown in. Well whatever. Maybe people will stop bumping that stupid Minecraft topic now.....Nah, probably not.

snoox

snoox said:

I really really want Minecraft to come to Wii U, & I already have it on Xbox 360 & PS3. There's no guarantee Mojang's next game will be as good as Minecraft, & frankly I highly doubt they will ever recapture the magic of Minecraft, so, let's not push them to skip Wii U Minecraft, it wud be the raddest definitive version on Wii U!!!!!!!!

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

I'm just going to ask, since I've never played Minecraft.

What is it that people see in this game? It's...atrociously ugly. I didn't think that was permissible in 2013.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@Technosphile For me, its the fact that you can shape a world virtually any way you see fit, and you truly have freedom to explore and interact with a given world as you like. And the graphics don't bother me, because it looks like they were trying to go for a retro vibe with the world.

It really is an amazing game, although if someone plays a video game for its graphics or story, they will probably never get anything out of it.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I Actually appreciate his follow up tweet. Kinda showed he wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything with the first tweet...

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@IxnayontheCK Yeah, I hope we don't get the comments about him hating Nintendo or wanting them to fail. Not every company and developer is EA. Just because a company is not working on a Nintendo version of a game does not mean they hate Nintendo or want to see them fail.

Mojang only has 36 employees, which means their resources are likely limited. He sounds like he wants to do something with Nintendo, so let's see how this develops.

Senario

Senario said:

@Technosphile Think of it like this, it is a game with a ton of Lego pieces and places to explore and fight monsters to get those pieces. And with randomly generated worlds the fun you have with the game us only limited to your imagination. The PC version is the best though.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Minecraft is on PC, Iphone, Android, PS & Xbox. How many units could they actually hope to sell on Wii U at this point?

No real loss if you ask but but i understand everyone wants more games on the Wii U, even though people don't actually buy the ones we already have.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

No plans right now doesn't deny that they own and are testing on Wii U development kits

pikmin4

pikmin4 said:

The only reason I haven't played his game is because its not on the console I own Nintendo Wii u, I was a bit excited about the news

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

I think they should add multiplayer games and being able to post to Miiverse.Or even using the touchscreen as a map once you get one.Off-TV play would be nice,too.

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

I'm already accepted that it will never release to the Nintendo console. If only Wii-u gets much better result in sale, then maybe his 'plan' change, lol.

Luigi789

Luigi789 said:

oh well atleast he didn't said he would never make a Wii U version he said he's too busy so he can't :/

JohnnyWarbucks

JohnnyWarbucks said:

@Monkeh Agreed. I don't doubt that he likes Nintendo, but Sony and MS are going to be the ones paying his bills until we get more sales.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I don't care if Minecraft is on Wii U as it's far superior on PC.

But Notch doesn't involve himself in Minecraft development anymore, so I would not be surprised if the development was started without his knowledge.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

@Technosphile It is ugly, the graphics are lazy with the excuse that it "looks retro." But behind the visuals is actually a really well crafted open world sandbox with hours of enjoyment. You don't just build, you explore, you hunt, you mine, you survive. If you're not the building type, the survival mode alone is a grand experience, with just the right amount of difficulty, and plenty to discover.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Is there a PS3 port of this game? I don't game on PC, and I don't own an Xbox or any tablet devices. Ouya, Wii-U, 3DS, and PS3 for me... :'(

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Notch will /never/ work on a game for a Nintendo platform. Him "<3'ing" Nintendo is just PR to prevent hate. Everyone has done it and what has everyone who claims to have loved Nintendo actually /done/ for Nintendo? And I mean those who aren't 1st or 2nd party for Nintendo.

Squid

Squid said:

That's a little bit disappointing, but alas, it was to be taken with a grain of salt. I would like to see it reach Wii U someday, perhaps.

Kirk

Kirk said:

From now on whenever rumors like this come up in the future lets just assume it's all bullsh@t and then we can all avoid any more self inflicted disappointment when it comes to Wii U, shall we.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@Mask0Gears

LOL, I know, right? But I think it's more, "I love the money I get from Sony and MS." If there is ANY reason it's not coming to Wii U, it's a monetary one.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@MasterGraveheart
Why exactly are they obligated to 'do' anything for Nintendo? PR or not you can 'love' Nintendo while not risking putting your company in the whole to prove it, or doing anything for that matter.

In an age where a failed game or two can put you out of business, its understandable to not want to spend resources on such a risky project. Matching the PS3 and 360's power also means Nintendo's console now has the same amount of risk associated with it.

A small company like Mojang doesn't make expensive blockbusters like the larger companies do, but being a smaller company it won't take as much for problems to affect it.

SeaCocumber

SeaCocumber said:

That "lots of work" just seems kind of stupid. They make some ridiculously simple updates to the game once in, like, 3 months while they make LITERALLY piles of MILLIONS of dollars from the game every single year. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the modding community dedicates itself WAY more to really adding stuff to the game than Mojang.

CharlieLoneWolf

CharlieLoneWolf said:

I would love to try this game out on the Wii U. I've never played it, so if it's ported over to the system with unique GamePad features, I'd play it. Hey, if they put it on the Vita, then why not the Wii U?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Glad I won't have more competition for Wii U time with little children! They can play it on iPad/Steam.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

damn but maybe after he is finished the other versions he might make a wiiu version i hope.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

Minecraft has taken over just about all gaming time for my kids for the last nine months or so. Pikmin 3, for one, still sits at level one while they both hack and stack away at their castles and villages, and no indication of that changing.

I really can't think of a more 'family compatible' game than Minecraft.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

well duh, Minecraft on Wii U is about as likely as a Final Fantasy X remake on 3ds. knew this for a while, it's just one of those games that doesn't cross platform very far

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@mercurio2054
I highly doubt Notch would complain about poor sales on a Nintendo platform if he made a game for one. He's not EA, Activision, Ubisoft. It's not about the bottom dollar. This is not WiiWare.

Also Sony likely approached him long before Nintendo so of course PS3 would get a port.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@Technosphile I see it as a big digital Lego playground... With monsters.. I'm not too big on it, but I had a decent amount of fun at my friend's house playing on the Xbox version with him.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

@Marioman64

Minecraft is available for Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, Xbox 360, PS3, and soon on the Xbox One, PS4 and PS Vita. It's very much a cross-platform game.