Nintendo Applies Minor Miiverse Update on Wii U and Web Versions

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A tweak to the reporting function

Today has, unsurprisingly, revolved around the major 3DS system update that, along with other enhancements, finally brought Miiverse to the portable. So far the handheld version of the network has been running fairly smoothly, and we imagine eager gamers are testing out what they can and can't do on the new version.

Nintendo has also used today to apply a minor update to the Wii U and web version of the service, however, though it's certainly low-key compared to the buzz around the new app on the 3DS. The details below are taken directly from the Miiverse announcement.

Hello again! There has also been a small update to the Wii U and web versions of Miiverse.

The Report Spoilers function has now been merged with the Report Violation function. From now on, when you wish to report spoilers, please first select the "Report Violation" icon, then select "Spoiler" from the drop-down menu.

Nothing too thrilling, but if you do find cause to keep the Miiverse moderators busy, now you now how to do so properly.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

There's a House of Gales in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds?! Spoiler alert!

Just kidding; but I do feel the spoiler alert has been neglected on Miiverse lately, especially the Super Mario 3D World community. It might not be as bad now, but people blatantly spoiled the final boss by posting a stamp of him very early in the game, even in World 1!

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@DestinyMan: Don't you get annoyed by people posting stamp only messages on Miiverse? Might as well called this game "Drawing tools for kids" since there are so many of them.

Worthy

Worthy said:

@DestinyMan I know what you mean because i've seen the 'Final Boss' stamp posted in World 3, but I didn't think much of it at the time (I didn't even know it was Bowser, lol!).

I think the real spoilers that are ruining the game for people are the one's telling you how to get the green stars and stamps. I'm not talking about the cleverly cryptic posts like "want the 2nd star? Get a cat suit then!", i'm talking more about those that give you a detailed exact location, lol!

Like you said, people need to use the spoiler tag more.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Super_Gravy: They do get old. I like when people use stamps in amusing ways, such as redrawing them to give them funny faces or redrawing them into different poses, but just leaving them as they are is pretty bland. I like reading regular comments on levels more rather than just people experimenting with the stamp found in that level.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"but if you do find cause to keep the Miiverse moderators busy"

Putting "spoilers" in the same place as "sexually explicit" seems a bit much to me. Isn't putting "spoilers" on something more about politeness than threatening to kill somebody? I mean, don't read the Miiverse before playing a game if you are that worried about spoilers, it's not like somebody is giving out your SS #. Isn't it ALL potentially spoilers to somebody? I mean just shut down Miiverse like they did Swapnote if they are that worried about spoilers.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

@rjejr I agree. Is Nintendo reducing the moderating staff, because that wouldn't be cool? Why are we identifying the problem posts for Nintendo. Now my kids are going to ask what they mean. I thought Nintendo was doing a good job moderating, why change it?

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@rjejr: Well there are two options: neither disable Miiverse completely or cross your finger and hoping that you will not be spoiled.

The problem is that some games such as Sonic Lost World and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker use items and pictures. You can get tingle bottle and get an picture and put it in the Nintendo Gallery. You can get items from a lot of people for free in Sonic Lost World. If you disabled the Miiverse then you will miss out those features. There are some tingle bottles that INCLUDED spoilers WITHOUT spoiler tag attached. I haven't got spoiled by Sonic Lost World from items sharing yet.

I thinking about disabling Miiverse for Super Mario 3D World since there are a lot of "stamp only" posts and spoilers. I don't see any extra features requiring Miiverse unlike The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Sonic Lost World for Super Mario 3D World.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

@Dogpigfish
Just because we have the option to report something doesn't meant we're doing all the work for the moderators or anything. It just means we have the option if we do happen to spot something.
And @rjejr , I think that by spoilers, they mean just the really big ones that would be REALLY upsetting and obnoxious. For example: In the new Professor Layton, Layton finds out **** ******* ** *** *******, *** **** ** ******** ****** *** ** ****.
That would really tick me off.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@rjejr, @dogpigfish: looks like they're just streamlining the process to me. It's not as if they'll be forced to hand down the same punishments just because it's all under the same dropdown, so what's the big deal?

also, I don't think you guys fully realize what they're opening themselves up to now that they're adding 3DS owners to the potential Miiverse userbase too, haha — they can't be everywhere, so it's reasonable to expect that a post here and there will slip past them while they're dealing with other problems in the queue. they're probably just trying to make it easier for existing and future staff to deal with the increased amount of users :3

rjejr

rjejr said:

@VoiceOfReason - Spoilers are bad, I just don't equate them w/ sex, violence and the other things on the list, I liked them as a simple Spoiler alert. Theoretically EVERYTHING can be viewed by somebody as a spoiler and I don't think the moderators should be overworked b/c somebody mentioned that you get a stamp shaped like a mushroom for beating world 3.

And trust me - nobody hates spoilers more than me. First time I played FF7 I got stuck and used a guide, only to read that ... well it's like the biggest moment in FF history so I wont post it here, but it scarred me for life. Reading it scarred me, I would have much rather been scarred by the event. But it was my own fault for using the guide, nobody to blame but myself.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@theblackdragon - "also, I don't think you guys fully realize what they're opening themselves up"

Thars exacly my point, moderators shouldn't be bothered by people complaining about stuff they read on Miiverse that might be considered a video game spoiler, everything on Miiverse is a spoiler to somebody. Its like complaining b/c NL showed a video of a game. Dont watch the video. And dont use Miiverse if you don't want to. The "Spolier" button should be directed back to the person who posted the message w/ a little "Can you please mark this as "spoiler". Spoiler is very subjective but not at all harmful.

You should know this, it's your job. When's the last time you TBD'd somebody for a game spoiler?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@rjejr: It's Nintendo's thing, and they're gonna run it how they like. If this is something they want their moderation team to handle, it's what they want it to handle. I still fail to see the fuss :/

Also, we don't know how this works on the back end. It looks like everything's been streamlined from the front, but it could very well still work the exact same way it did before behind the scenes for all we know. again, it's not worth the upset.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@theblackdragon: Well I have no fuss about this update but I do have an fuss about spoilers in generally by Miiverse. It is not simple as "don't just read the posts" since those posts can happened in-game. Sure I can disable the Miiverse feature for that game but I will be missing out extra items, pictures, and features in some games such as Sonic Lost World and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Do you understand what I trying to say?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Miiverse is like any other sort of social media venture, you're not going to be able to fully avoid spoilers without avoiding either the service or certain sections thereof. Nintendo is apparently trying to look out for things on their end, but they're only human and things will slip here and there, so we've gotta do our part on our end as well if we really want to avoid being spoiled for a game. I know to avoid Facebook and Tumblr if I'm waiting to see an episode of something popular, and I know to avoid certain threads and articles for games here at NL or over at GameFAQs if I don't want to be spoiled on accident. It's common sense.

The bottom line is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't make a point of attempting to interact with other users who are already playing a game. If it's a well-programmed game, you won't need the extras or goodies to get through it on your own at all, and if it's truly a great game it'll be worth the playthrough afterward with the extra features and goodies once you know what's coming anyway.

@rjejr: It's not a part of our Community Rules to stop users from posting spoilers, so that's not something we actively patrol for or ban people over, though if the comment is reported we'll step in and edit it so that the spoilery content is clearly marked, and if users make nuisances out of themselves and persistently harass others over it we will step in to stop that behavior. The last time I had to temp-ban a user over obnoxious spoiling was for Pokemon X/Y, if you must know :3 Ant has the Spoiler tag now for the forums, so we at NL are now good to go.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Super_Gravy: I honestly have no idea. I'm not really all that social a person when i'm busy with a game, so I hope not — the fewer distractions I have bothering me, the better :3

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Is it possible to reply to other user's posts, cos I can't find any way to do it?!

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@ledreppe: On miiverse you just click on the post but if you mean here in "Nintendo Life" then you have to use an "@" symbol beside the username to reply.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Reading these comments, I am really happy that I never use either Miiverse or the option to read comments inside a game. I do it mostly because they can interrupt your game (like NSMBU asking you to post after every single level) and since I use my phone to connect my Wii U to the internet, then I turn it on only when I need it, and that is getting games from the eShop.

It seems that it has also allowed me to avoid spoilers.

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

Hmmm... there seems to be a lot of conflict over this small update. Just think of it this way: Will this REALLY affect my life in any way? For me not at all. Now I need to press one more button for reporting spoilers... oh dear.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@Benjelo: I think it is more of having an debate on spoilers in generally than having an fuss over an update for reporting violation.

Pete41608

Pete41608 said:

I avoided the Zelda community on Miiverse for this very reason during my first play thru of ALBW