New Donkey Kong Trailer Grabs Attention as European Release Date is Confirmed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

21st February, same as in the Americas

We can't help but feel that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been given a tough time by some, by virtue of the fact that it's a Retro Studios game that isn't Metroid. But still, it's a follow-up to the brilliant Donkey Kong Country Returns, so could be an excellent 2D platformer.

We will see, in any case, but today's Nintendo Direct broadcast did bring us more footage, including an introduction to the story, more of the playable Cranky Kong and examples of the Kong Pow move. The video gives us a nice look at a variety of environments that are relatively new, too, as we get a taste for what this one will throw at us.

It was also confirmed that this'll arrive in Europe on 21st February, the same release date as in the Americas. Check out the latest footage below and let us know what you think.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Looks pretty doggone great! I'll probably play as Cranky if it doesn't force player 1 to be DK.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

That (cgi?) trailer today got me really excited for the game :D
I already liked how it looked before, but it wasn't a must-buy for me since I never played Donkey Kong Country myself and it never really appealed to me for some reason.

Well...I guess I need to save some money for february.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Same release date as the US, oh yes.

Was that an... ice dragon, turning DK Island into a frozen nightmare? Also, the Direct broadcast showed what I thought was Donkey celebrating his birthday (he had a cake with a candle and everything.), so sooner or later, those Snomads are going to pay for ruining it.

By the way, the music during the first seconds of that video sounds like DKC2's Krook's March. You can tell David Wise is composing the soundtrack.

@Giygas_95 No, it's like Returns; player 1 is DK, he carries the other Kongs on his back.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

The new "fluffy" look for DK seems to be here to stay now that fur can be so easily animated in HD.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I can't wait to be Cranky.
Diddy is my second least favourite Kong. Dixie is the worst.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Most people right now is like "Meh, it's okay" but I think this game would experience the same as Super Mario 3D World when everyone was kinda dissapointed by that game and end up being one of the best of 2013. With this game would be the same case, it already looks more fun, attractive and challenging than New Super Mario Bros U and Rayman Legends together!

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Yeah it really got my attention in this direct!! Now I understand why a lot of people want this game! too bad Nintendo didn't actually show this video at VGX instead of an image.

Edit: Cranky is the new Nabbit lol

Goginho

Goginho said:

Imagine one day ..Rare and Retro merge!! --> Raretro

Then we get one GIANT, massive 3D DK game with Kremlings, Snowmads, Tikis... and aaall the Kongs.
Oh man ..I mean, ooooh banana!

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

@Goginho

Contrary to popular belief, Nintendo does indeed own both the Kremlings and the Kongs that appeared on DK64. Has everyone forgotten that PAON developed games that included Kremlings as enemies? They even designed new ones for Barrel Blast/Jet Race!

Characters created by Rare that got their own games, like Banjo or Conker, are another thing, though. That's why they were replaced in the DS remake of Diddy Kong Racing.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Nintendolife staff, are you guys getting access to this game already? If so, might I ask for a piece on the game's music? David Wise being back is a huge deal, and I can't wait to hear the kind of stuff his magic conjured up this time.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I assume the dark, menacing figure that blew the big horn to summon the ice dragon is the villain. Could he be a yeti? He looks kind of hairy.

I believe this game is going to be very well-received when it releases. Many people may seem to be in a "meh" kind of mood toward it, but they originally felt the same way about Super Mario 3D World too. Cranky will be a fun character to play and the music thanks to David Wise's return is going to be stellar. The Snomads look like much better enemies than the tikis and the level design appears to be top-notch.

By the way, Funky Kong is back.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

@DestinyMan

He is all shadowy and evil-looking, so, yes, I would bet that he's the leader of the Snomads.

Regarding his identity, well... this is a wild guess, but perhaps there's a reason to be so mysterious about him...

Viking K. Rool.

Nahhh, it won't happen. He didn't appear on Returns, so...

Also, Funky Kong's taken Cranky's role as shopkeeper... and perhaps he will be a fifth unlockable character?

element187

element187 said:

@AdanVC @DestinyMan I don't think this will have as big of a turn around in public opinion that SM3DW did,.. Sadly, people are generally more impressed with 3D games as opposed to 2D/2.5D games. It will be "just another donkey kong" game to most, especially owners of other systems will hold that kind of an opinion.

I personally am looking forward to it because I love difficult rage inducing platformers (I didn't like Rayman Legends because it wasn't the least bit challenging, in fact it's one of the easiest I have ever played).... If a platformer doesn't make you want to throw your controller across the room, it isn't a good enough platformer.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I'm going to buy it, even though I know I'm going to cry like a little girl spending hours on end trying to get through those poxy rocket levels.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Graphics look phenomenal. Gameplay looks as great as ever. They're returning the mine cart and rocket barrel levels. And swimming and the water skip ability too. And Cranky Kong getting the chance to prove he's got more gumption than the rest of them.

I cannot wait until 2014.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Baum897
Never played DKC before? I'm almost certain this is going to be your new favorite game after playing it then. The original 3 were some of the funnest games ever made, and DKC Returns was definitely just as fun as the originals, maybe even better. But THIS game? This game looks like the pinnacle of DK goodness. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be one of the best games of the generation.

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

This game right here makes me want a wii u badly. The whole entire game is everything I possibly want in a game, everything about it, the level designs, the theme, cranky kong, and a polar bear boss...

And on top of that Mark Kart 8 and SSB4, and wii sports are always fun.

So yes I would say nintendo may reach the 9 mil mark by the end of March, but we'll see in the future.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@element187

Rayman 'Origins' has got be one of the worst platformers i've played in years. I don't get the hype, it doesn't demand pixel perfect jumps, nor does it make you start from the beginning of the stage when you die... it Also controlled like a sloppy glorified Flash game. Couldn't stand it, but i forced myself to trudge through it all, and i did. what a chore-like nightmare with quite possibly some of the most annoying SFX and music i've ever heard in a game. The experimental artsy fartsy chipmunk music gets stale quick and i didn't like the character designs. Beautiful environments though, at least half the time.

The original 2D PS1 Rayman was LEAPS and bounds better than Origins.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Goginho that would be pointless as nobody of any worth still works at Rare. Just the legend Kevin Beanland (killer instinct soundtrack) doing the music for endless Kinect sports games.
The only reason for buying Rare would be to rescue the slowly decaying unused & abused IP's that Rare own.
Banjo Kazooie developed by Next Level Games
Perfect Dark developed by Retro Studios
Battletoads developed by Team Ninja
Killer Instinct developed by HAL
Now THAT would be a good prospect

A sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day would also be amazing

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

Still trying to revert back to my 12 year old self and complete DKC3 on my SNES. Its the one DKC title that i never managed to finish. Soo much to do in it, although i rank DKC2 as my fave of the trilogy and DKC as a landmark achievment for the SNES. Still looks slick to this day.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

got to say this is looking nice still prob wont get it till later or something but yeah o: liking those special team move things mainly

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Giygas_95 Well, gameplay-wise, playing as DK with Cranky on his back appears to be pretty much the same thing. Still, I agree some of the appeal is definitely lost.
I wonder if Cranky will bonk DK with his cane if he stands still too long.

Pod

Pod said:

Knowing how great the first game was, this looks all the more spectacular!

Several new sidekicks, crazier levels and underwater segments, that art and THAT MUSIC.