Guide: Using Miiverse And The Nintendo Network ID On Your 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

From getting started to making the most of your ID

Today has brought us the latest major 3DS update, and it's one that's been anticipated for a good amount of time. It introduces Nintendo Network IDs to the portable, which now allows unified eShop funds with the Wii U equivalent and, perhaps most importantly, Miiverse access. Until now participation on the bespoke social network, beyond limited browsing on the web version, was for Wii U owners only; now the wider 3DS audience can join in. Even better, handheld gamers can view Wii U communities, so over 30 million system owners can now access the best advert possible for Nintendo's home console.

With the system update requiring multiple steps and including various features, we've decided to produce this guide to help you get the most out of the changes. First of all, below is the change-log from Nintendo of America's website:

• Added support for Nintendo Network IDs
  • Added support for Miiverse
  • Added a Software Update Notification
  • Removed the limit to system transfers
  • Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu to require pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Let's get down to the details then, starting with initial setup of the update and a Nintendo Network ID.

System Update and Nintendo Network ID

Applying the update itself should be familiar to existing 3DS owners. For those new to the process, you should be automatically prompted if you attempt to open the eShop. If this doesn't happen simply go to "System Settings", "Other Settings" and then the fourth page — here you simply tap system update. The device will need to be connected online to proceed further.

The update may take anything from 5-20 minutes, with the time varying depending on server load and the speed of your online connection. Once complete, the system will immediately inform you that Miiverse is now available.

At the time of writing Miiverse is working perfectly, while the eShop is having issues connecting — if you're reading this long after publication, this shouldn't be an issue. We followed the system's lead and went to Miiverse first of all, so that's the process we'll outline here.

At this stage tap on the Miiverse logo as indicated above, and the new app will start to load. Once it's up and running you'll be immediately prompted to setup a Nintendo Network ID on the system.

Click on "Link ID" — even if you do not have a Wii U and account — to begin setup; you'll be asked if you want to proceed, so tap OK or press A. You're now taken through screens that explain the basic Nintendo Network ID functionality, including information on eShop activity being linked to the ID, the potential to share funds between the 3DS and Wii U, limitations of a single country currency and loss of eShop history if an ID is deleted. We've covered many of these points in our previous Nintendo Network ID 3DS Guide.

Once you've read and clicked through the screens you'll be asked whether you want to create a new ID or link to an existing Wii U account. We'll outline the Wii U linking process below, but creating a new ID will require various pieces of personal information. These will include your full name, an email address, region, as well as age and birthday — be sure to note your new ID and password in a safe place and be careful when inputting the details.

To link to an existing Wii U account, select the applicable option and you'll be asked to input your username and password — do this carefully.

The next screen, once you've completed these details, will ask which Mii you want to link to the ID. As you can see in the screen below, we previously transferred our 3DS Mii to the Wii U so that they were the same, and in this case we selected the existing ID Mii (as the most up to date from the Wii U). This has done no harm to our Mii-related save data in StreetPass Quest / Find Mii, though there have been reports by some readers that content in games such as Wii Sports Club was lost when tying the account to a personal Mii on the 3DS. In any case, we recommend using the same Mii (moving the most recent one with the transfer tool in Mii Maker) across both systems, and retaining that same character across the Nintendo Network ID on 3DS and Wii U. If you only have a 3DS this should not be an issue, and you can change the Mii setting in future.

After this step you're given some more information — such as the fact that you can adjust and check Nintendo Network ID settings through a new menu in System Settings — as well as Parental Controls information. Once you've clicked through these screens you're asked to input your Nintendo Network ID password once again (that's why you need to write it down!) and will be told that you can now enjoy the Nintendo Network. When inputting your password we recommend checking the option to "remember your details", as this will save you inputting the password again when logging into the eShop later on. Once you bypass this final message Miiverse will launch.

Miiverse

Once using Miiverse properly, some introductory screens will introduce you to the concept and ask you whether you want to be notified — by a blue circle on the home page icon and in notifications — of interactions to your posts, and once your preferences are set you'll find yourself on the home page.

From left to right, dealing with the icons at the bottom, are the following:

• [1] This Mii face gives you access to Profile settings. "Profile" shows your information and posts, "Blocked Users" and "Search Users" are self-explanatory (you can follow other users through the latter but not send friend requests on the 3DS). "Miiverse Announcements" has official details from Nintendo on updates or events, with "Settings / Other" allows you to adjust your profile information, Miiverse settings (such as who can view your profile) and also allows you to view the Miiverse manual and Code of Conduct.
  • [2] This boxed smiley face is your Activity Feed — in this you can view posts from Network ID friends (if you have a Wii U account) or those that you Follow. If you want to post outside of a dedicated game community, you can also post on any topic (within Miiverse rules) in this feed. You can Yeah and Comment on posts in the feed.
  • [3] The icon with three figures is the main page for accessing communities, pictured above. You can search through 3DS game communities, special communities (such as that for Smash Bros.) and, at the bottom, you can switch to Wii U Communities. You can view any community, add "Yeahs" and comment on any post you like, though can only post your own main message in a community from within the relevant game; this measure helps to keep the Activity Feed full of those actually playing the title in question.
  • [4] The speech bubble on the right is your personal notification area, which shows all Yeahs and comments for your posts.

At launch the number of 3DS game communities is limited to a little over 20 retail games (no Virtual Console, with most 3DS eShop games also missing), though it covers the majority of major releases. Below is an example of a post from within Super Mario 3D Land. Like its Wii U counterpart you can input text messages or hand-written notes / drawings using the touch screen — this applies in game communities and the Activity Feed. When posting from within a game you can also add a screenshot from the precise moment that you paused. The process is simple.

• When playing a game, hit the Home button and then tap the Miiverse icon on the touch screen.
  • You will automatically be directed to the relevant game community.
  • Tap "Post", input your message and tap the screen icon at the the top right, selecting to attach the top or bottom screen image.
  • Post your message.
  • If you had the 3D slider on and the game was outputting an autostereoscopic image, it will be a 3D screenshot for fellow 3DS users (it displays in 2D on the Wii U / web browser version).
  • If the game in question does not yet have a dedicated community, the above first step will simply direct you to the Communities front page, and you won't be able to post screenshots even if you navigate to the Activity Feed.
  • Miiverse on 3DS also has an offline mode — you're able to access the service, create a post and then save it for later when not connected to the internet. You can then post it at a later time when you have a web connection.

Check out the next page for information on the unified eShop funds, StreetPass Plaza / Find Mii update and an ever-growing FAQ.

cammy

cammy said:

Wait? You can post screenshots? That's brilliant. The Nintendo FAQ said only specific supported though. Do we know what games are and are not supported with this feature?

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

I bought games on 3 different regions on eshop (Canada, US and Brazil), when i choose a region, I lose some of them or I keep everything?

Falchion

Falchion said:

I am slightly disappointed with the interface and lack of fire emblem community! I might just solely enter miiverse through my wii u

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I have two 3ds system's do I need two nintendo network id's since the 3ds's can't be link to each other.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Hmm... I have a 3DS and I don't have a Wii U, but I plan on getting one. If I create a NNID via the 3DS, can I link it to a new Wii U I get later on?
In other words, you can link a 3DS to an existing Wii U account but can you do vice-versa? If not, should I just make an account anyway? I'd really appreciate having my predicament cleared up.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Oh look, just the update I was waiting for. Didn't have to wait too long at all.

Will be giving this a thorough read before proceeding w/ our three 3DS. Maybe 2 reads.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@DreamyVirdi

That's a good question because i'm going to get the wii u later to but wasn't really sure on this. I created a nintendo network id on my little 3ds for the time being hopefully when i get my wii u I can use it on my wii u as well the same nintendo network id. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Got this update around 11PM last night. Now if they can add user messaging, I would be ecstatic! Hopefully drawing and text- based also. My four year old loves to draw messages via SwapNote before it was shutdown. Thankfully, he can still send those messages via StreetPass, but still. I want a better function, especially for talking with my friends on Nintendo network. At least the Gamepad is somewhat portable!

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

So will I be able to enter the 3DS miiverse pages from my Wii U? It's just quicker I find compared to the 3DS.

Savino

Savino said:

Well... This sucks, now I am officially locked in the Canada Eshop (I am from Brasil and we still dont have an wiiu eshop)!

I was using both eshops in my 3DS till now because retail games are cheaper in canada, while downloadable games are cheaper in Brasil...

Well... So much for nextgen system... Gona finish my Zelda and will just look to nintendo again when mario kart is released!

I am done with this company!

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

@cammy so far OoT3d doesn't support. I'd say any game with out the "N" on top.... but MK7 and various previous games dont have the N on top but are still displayed on miiverse. idk why. and why not zelda.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Just to be on the absolutely safe side, since all the fuss about "enter your ID carefully":
WiiU Main screen > User Icon in the top left > Orange text below the Screenname.
Is THAT the ID they want me to type in ?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Nice job on the FAQ.

And just to clarify - we have 3 3DS and 1 Wii U - eShop funds entered into 1 will be shared by all, even w/ 4 different NNIDs? I'ld rather have it this way honestly, I can buy 1 $50 card and we can just all share it - our family is pretty tight knit - but then the funds aren't really split by NNID but by hardware? Seems counter-intuitive.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Cammy From what I can tell, its more recent games but of course I dont have the extensive library to confirm but i know Monster Hunter you cant.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Einherjar - YEah, I was just having this convo this morning w/ my wife as every Mii has both a nickname and a NNID. I'm pretty sure if you go into "profile" from the main screen it tells you which is which. Though I suppose if you only have 1 profile there is no main screen? We have 4 profiles on my Wii U and we always have to pick which one starts- like PS3, which I kind of like. I'm going to go check now, I think I'm starting to develop an ulcer.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Well I am locked out from both shops but I just did it so hopefully nothing messed up too bad.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@rjejr - Nope,each Wii U profile has separate funds,one for each NNID and each 3ds can only have one that can't be shared. Any money you add on a Wii U will be with the one profile so only one wii U user and one 3DS. Not shared with everyone. Any downloads onto the Wii U may be used by all but not downloads onto 3DSs. So unless you just plan to put all the funds for Wii U downloads, it won't be share able by all unless there is a common Wii U profile and 3DS that is shared if you plan to use it on 3DS as well.
(I hope I'm not confusing)

No KI:U or FE:A, disappointing.

Also if I did lose my Wii Sports data, that's no loss. I only had a little done.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@rjejr with "main screen" i meant the general "wara wara Plaza". While there, you can tap your Mii icon in the top left corner of the controller screen to get to the account selection screen. There it shows your generally displayed name in white and what i beleave to be your initial NNID in orange.

Mikky

Mikky said:

3DS Miiverse could be a good opportunity to spread Wii U awareness.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

The orange ID displayed IS the initial NNID. Also, on my WiiU, i have the ability to change the region of my NNID, maybe its possible for your folks that switch regions to get access to different shops to do its still if you just change these infos. Sadly, im not sure where and how you do it on your 3DS or if its even possible to do it 3DS solo, i just discovered that option while fiddeling around with my WiiU ID

cammy

cammy said:

@KeatonTS I guess so. I may go through my small game library and see which ones work and don't but when I checked at lunch time half the games didn't have communities yet.

@Warruz Sounds like it's very hit and miss. I'm surprised that Zelda doesn't!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Einherjar - "There it shows your generally displayed name in white and what i beleave to be your initial NNID in orange."

Sounds like I should be the one asking you for help, you've got this covered :-)

@Aqueous - Not confusing, that's what I thought, but this is what it said in the FAQS, which sounds like just the opposite:

Can I register more than one Nintendo Network ID on the same 3DS system, like with the Wii U?
No, you can't. The 3DS can only accept a single Nintendo Network ID, which means if you share your system with other members of your family, you'll need to be careful — they could potentially spend all your eShop credit (and not just the credit you use on your 3DS, but on your Wii U as well, as the balances will be combined)

I guess I read "combined" wrong. Thanks for filling me in.

I hate it when my Gamepad loses the Wii U connection literally 3 feet from my PC. Maybe only 2 feet, I was just about to sit down. Oh well, guess that's what the built in web browser is for.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Cammy ALBW does, but Ocarina doesnt but thats because it has no community atm. I Imagine over the month we will see more communities added to play catch up.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Man, can't wait to get home and give it a try. It seems A Link Between Worlds will join Super Mario 3D World and Assassin's Creed IV in flooding my Miiverse timeline this December. :)

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

This might be a stupid question but I just want this clarified before I update: I currently have eShop funds on both the Wii U and the 3DS, when it says the balance is combined, does that mean only for future cash put it, or will my current funds be combined? I won't lose any funds when I update, will I? To illustrate my point, hypothetically I have $15 on the Wii U and $20 on the 3DS (I don't know the actual number, just hypothetical here), so will my account after the update have $15, $20, or $35?

eza

eza said:

Question: if the NNID on my Wii U has its country set to Spain, and my 3DS has its country set to UK, then what will happen when I try and link NNIDs?

ericflapjack

ericflapjack said:

I'm hoping for messaging sometime... as it stands now, there is no way to really communicate with other 3DS users you have authorized as friends via friend code.

I only got to play around with it a little bit last night, but so far, it looks awesome. It was a bit slow, but I guess that is understandable with all the people updating at once. Good guide, too.

@Falchion I'm sure they will add communities as time goes on. Fire Emblem is a popular game, so I don't know why there wouldn't be a community for it in the near future.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@ferrers405 From the one screen I read cause I actually read some of the terms and services, you are going to lose games from two of those regions.

So, uh, chose wisely....

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@eza You pick one country, you lose the the games from the other. At least that is the way I read in the TSA.

eza

eza said:

@XCWarrior yeah, I've emailed Nintendo customer services to get a definitive answer.
I emailed them about it last month when it was announced, but they replied saying they didn't know at that time.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@eza The universe will implode in on itself. I don't think anyone's tried that yet, so you're probably best off just waiting a bit 'till someone does it.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@letsplay Yes, the 2DS is the same as a 3DS just without the 3D. Whenever people say 3DS, it includes 2DS (except in specific circumstances, in which they'll typically specify).

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@Thomas WhiteHead: I know you stated it in the article but if you pick 3DS Mii then not only Wii Sport Club is affected but also Nintendo Land as well. I lost all "personal" data for that Mii. Other Mii in the game are not affected.

In other word, you going lose all the stamps and trophies for that Mii but you won't lose stars or prizes since it is part of the game data.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Hello all,

Thanks for the questions. I've had an initial run and and answered quite a few extra questions in the Q & A on page two. Just refresh the page to see the updates. Hopefully these will help with some additional queries, and I'll be checking this thread regularly and updating the article where I can.

Mahe

Mahe said:

"if you share your system with other members of your family, you'll need to be careful — they could potentially spend all your eShop credit (and not just the credit you use on your 3DS, but on your Wii U as well, as the balances will be combined) and could also post offensive or inane gibberish to Miiverse."

That's a very positive view of family members!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Does a game first have to have a 3DS community in Miiverse in order to post screen shots???

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Sadly, many titles I have didn't get a MiiVerse community yet. Hopefully, those will be added later on (I was hoping for BlazBlue and PXZ, at least).

@Warruz I can confirm that a MH3U community is present, at least on the european board.

@bezerker99 Yep, screenshots of a game can only be posted in the game's community - if there's no community for the game, you can't screenshot.

insegno

insegno said:

guys ._. i feel so dumb. so i forgot that my wiiu got the update and i created a nintendo ID. now by mistake i created a new one on the 3ds :( can i fix this?

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Miiverse is working fine (though I'm disappointed in the current lack of communities), but I can't connect to the eShop. It keeps saying there is an error after I sign in. And my Wii U account's balance hasn't changed yet either...

Guess I'll just wait then.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Warruz Oooh, yeah. That's a Capcom decision - they didn't want players to interrupt the game for Miiverse posts (especially not online), so they removed/disabled the feature on the WiiU version and blocked screenshot storing on 3DS. That's also one of the reasons the game auto-pauses if you press the home button and then return to the game.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Kaze_Memaryu I hope the next step for both 3DS and WiiU is to add an on the fly screenshot mechanic, would love to capture some of those crazy moments in Monster Hunter. Perhaps something in a future iteration , a screenshot button.

mullen

mullen said:

Are the game communities region-locked or country-locked? For example, if I post a bravely default screenshot, can my American friends see that within their 3DS? Btw, I assume web version of Miiverse is open to everyone, is that correct?

drdark

drdark said:

"Can I opt out of the Nintendo Network ID system on my 3DS?
It would appear not. You are asked to create (or register) a Nintendo Network ID on your 3DS even if you're just downloading free content. It would appear that Nintendo wants every 3DS and Wii U owners to have an ID — which is a positive thing, as it means moving forward it will be easier to introduce more improvements to the online service, such as accounts which remember your purchases, and so on."

Fairly sure during the Nintendo Direct when they announced it, Iwata/Shibata mentioned you needed a NNID to get free games/demos but NOT to buy stuff. The "get free stuff" is incentive to get an ID, but you'll still be able to just purchase a game on the eShop without registering an ID.

Best look into that one again.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

@insegno If you bought software prior to the update, then you won't lose your downloads. At least that's what I know.Besides, you don't need NNID to purchase software.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

"Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu to require pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously"

best thing ever :D

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Warruz The Wii U MH3U won't allow for posting screenshots to Miiverse either. Probably a Capcom thing, as someone else here mentioned. :O

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@rjejr - You're welcome. I'm not sure what they mean. Maybe its a warning if a family member can access one of your accounts they could use the money you planed to use on the other?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Aqueous - Thanks. That's probably what they mean. Since I wanted to be able to share funds that probably dictated how I read it. Though that doesn't really "combine" funds as much as let someone sharing your Wii U steal them ;-)

Lylvia

Lylvia said:

My 3ds updated fine but now it's currently not letting me connect to the E-shop. E-shop is working fine on my Wii-U. Don't know what the deal is here...

Lord

Lord said:

Great stuff nintendo just now work on linking the wii u chat to the 3ds then I can video call my 3ds friends.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Wait. I own a 3DS but not a Wii U. I also have funds on both the US and Canadian 3DS eshops. If I create a NNID I lose my funds in one of those regions for good? I can no longer switch freely between regions to access the separate funds? Frankly, if so, I don't like it. Can I still NOT create a NNID so that everything stays the same for me and I can keep switching regions as needed to buy the stuff I want?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I hope they add communities for Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening, but it probably won't happen...

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Still can't update my Streetpass "Plaza"... When I go in there and hit the update icon, it times out and gives me an error code. Anyone else experiencing this, too? I was able to create a MiiVerse account, though, and link it to my 3DS e-shop account.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Hello again,

I was finally able to access both the Wii U and 3DS eShops and applied the StreetPass Plaza update. Neither section (both on page 2) has much to say, but they've been updated now to show what happens.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@Einherjar I think it is everybody trying to update or view at the moment. I still trying go to eShop right now. I haven't update mii plaza yet.

QBertFarnsworth

QBertFarnsworth said:

So if I have some points built up on the Wii U Digital Deluxe Promotion for buying a launch 32 GB with Nintendoland, can I redeem those points for eShop credit and use that for 3DS games? Will 3DS downloads count towards the DDP points as well?

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

Am I the only person that is unable to logon to the US eShop after this update? Thought it would be great, but if it broke the eShop, then no… no this is not great!

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@QBertFarnsworth: You can redeem those points for eShop credit and use it for 3DS even before the Nintendo ID update. But buying 3DS downloads would not count towards the DDP points at all.

I think it is hardware related since Nintendo Wii U Basics should do the DDP if 3DS can do DDP after the update.

@Unit_DTH: You are not an only one so far. Look at previous comments by other users.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Unit_DTH I think the eShop servers are struggling, and access is still sporadic. Hopefully it'll settle down in the coming hours, or by tomorrow at least.

Entei

Entei said:

My mii on my wii u is different to my mii on my 3ds so will my 3ds mii get deleted if i choose my wii u mii to be my nintendo network id mii?

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

@QBertFarnsworth Ugh, I'm still mad about the rip people off deluxe digital promotion. My wife wanted white in her living room. Why buy the 32 gb when you bought a harddrive? Because Nintendo sneaks in and says the white one is not eligible, although every bit of marketing indicates early adopters will get this promotion. Liars! Please rectify.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

@DreamyViridi
When you are about to create a NNID on the Wii U the system asks if you want to use an existing NNID. Now, since you can't log in with your ID on any Wii U but the one where you created it, maybe now I can understand that question and believe this is going to work when you do the "use my existing 3DS NNID" thing.
So, you are not able to use your ID on two different Wii U systems or two different 3DS, but you can use the same ID on both.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

Well guys new update from me is that I can log in the eShop now. Maybe its will get better for you guys. I haven't update the Mii Plaza yet.

HaNks

HaNks said:

@Super_Gravy nintendoland data is lost too, damn. how did nintendo overlook something like that possibly happening? not cool.

adamical

adamical said:

What a pain in the butt this is.

I don't really desire my eShop balances combined, it's not particularly helpful in any way. And what am i supposed to do if I have more than one 3DS? Create a new ID for each 3DS?

Ideally, I'd like to not create a NNID on my 3DS and leave it as is, at least until I can use my NNID on multiple 3DSs.

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! It's not fair! My limited and kinda unreliable broadband will not allow me to UPDATE(Well, it would, but drastic things will happen...)! IT'S NOT FAIR......
How big is the update?

RobMondavi

RobMondavi said:

@grumblegrumble This is happening to me too. my 3DS XL won't update streetpass, it times out during the download. Now it actually gives me an error right away. Updated my original 3DS and everything went off without a hitch.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Oh my goodness, no more starting the camera accidentally! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! That was my number one complaint with the 3DS- I can't believe they actually fixed the problem... that's so awesome!

Wolfenpilot687

Wolfenpilot687 said:

Okay, so...what happens in this scenario?
I mainly use the Mexican eShop and buy most of my games there.
But I also get access the US eShop for Club Nintendo reward codes and prepaid cards. I have bought quite some games there too.
My Wii U ID is located in Mexico. Does this mean that if I link, or even if I just make a new ID, I have to choose ONE country? And I lose access to the games I bought in the other eShop?

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

@RobMondavi Good to hear I'm not the only one! Well, mine is giving the error right away, too. Error 026-3051, to be precise. And this is after it has me accept the agreement and enter my WiiVerse password. What gives?

Edit: Ok, seems like it's just that the servers are overloaded and many others are experiencing this issue, too. Take a look:

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Miiverse is cool and everything, but I'm just so darn glad I won't accidentally open up the camera by bumping L or R anymore.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Miiverse is kind of cool, it will be cool to see what its like when they improve it more though. I was kind of disappointed about not being about to use paburrows as my Network ID name for some reason and that you can't change it ever, but I do love the idea of combined eshop accounts though and the fact that its harder to trigger the silly camera.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Just a heads up, doing this link will overwrite the Mii on your system. My old one is gone and the one for my Wii U took it's place. I assume if you choose your 3DS Mii, it will over write your Mii on your Wii U as well.

Galenmereth

Galenmereth said:

Mii Verse is really underwhelming, to be honest. First off, filtering options; the communities I checked out were full of posts in non-english languages I have no idea how to read, like spanish, what seems like russian and so on. I'd prefer to hide these, as they just clutter it up. Then there's the fact that there's no friend-to-friend communication, almost no games support screenshots, and the interface is so bloody slow it's not even fun. Sorry, but clicking on an image and waiting for five seconds might sound like it's fine in paper, but when you have to do it to view every single screenshot, it's just annoying.

I have a smart phone; I don't need this on my 3DS when it doesn't even perform well. Bleh.

odja

odja said:

How unlink 3ds, and link another? I want sell my old 3DS which is linked, and link my new 3DS XL.

Doma

Doma said:

Is creating an ID mandatory if you update?

Miiverse doesn't interest me in the slightest.

e: nvm, found the answer

HaNks

HaNks said:

@ikki5 indeed but it doesn't sound like overwriting the 3ds mii impacts any existing save data. whereas the other way around...very poor oversight to overlook something like this is all i can say.

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

too bad I was getting an error code when updating mii plaza and the eshop. ugh. linked accounts went fine though.

alex167

alex167 said:

Does anybody know if now purchases are associated to the account or they are still associate to consoles?

ueI

ueI said:

If I have a 3DS and a WiiU with the same ID, can I use a different mii for each console?

idork99

idork99 said:

Did I do something wrong in the process? I picked the Mii on my Nintendo Network account instead of the one for the 3DS. Miiverse works fine but I can't get into the eShop.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I never bought any software from my "local" version of the Nintendo eShop, so I do not plan on changing the regions on my Nintendo Network ID anytime soon. However, is it still possible to temporarily switch regions in the System Settings without having to access the eShop? I just need to do that merely so my Mii could be identified as a "local resident" whenever I get StreetPassed by someone.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@jos @idork99

Give it some time since the server couldn't handle all these requests. I used to have this problem earlier. I don't have an problem with eShop because I already "transfer", "merge", or whatever the term you use for the connectivity between 3DS and the Wii U account.

Roltron

Roltron said:

I got my stuff all setup! Excited! (Hey, if you wanna follow me my username is "Roltron"!)

EpicSkeletor

EpicSkeletor said:

"I have multiple 3DS systems, can I use the same Nintendo Network ID on them all?

No, you can only link your Nintendo Network ID to one Wii U and one 3DS. You'll need separate Nintendo Network IDs for each 3DS / 2DS."

Nintendo giving people all the reasons NOT to buy/collect different 3DS models. Well done!

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@EpicSkeletor: Well they lifted the limit of transferring your data and games between 3DS models so the reason is still there. But I do understand your point and Nintendo are not the only one have this rule. PSN only allowed up to two PS3 to have the same ID.

EpicSkeletor

EpicSkeletor said:

"PSN only allowed up to two PS3 to have the same ID."

Yes I would love to be able to play my eShop purchases on both my 3DS & 3DS XL just like I am allowed to play my PSN purchases on both my PSP-3000 & PSP-GO

CureDolly

CureDolly said:

Does anyone know what happens if your 3DS is not from the region you are currently in? My 3DS is Japanese but I am currently in the Americas. Up to now I have been able to access the Japanese eShop but not any other, which is fine - but I don't want to be locked out of everything. Does anyone know how it works?

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@EpicSkeletor: Yea I can see that as well. What if your 3DS broke as well? How are you going transfer a broken 3DS games to the new 3DS? I think Nintendo still missing the point of Nintendo ID right now.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Well, I made the mistake of deciding to create a different Nintendo ID for my 3DS than the one I use for my Wii U. But upon booting up the eShop, I found out that only one Nintendo ID is allowed per Club Nintendo account. I called customer support to find out that the only way to switch my 3DS's ID to my Wii U ID would be to format my 3DS and lose everything. So, in the end the only option I had was to create a second Club Nintendo account, a second email address and put my name in differently at Club Nintendo. This is the first time I have really been discouraged by Nintendo's services. This is very frustrating. Now I have to manage all these different accounts. Grrr. I still love you, Nintendo, but grrr.

PenCapChew

PenCapChew said:

I'm performing some tests about the eShop/purchases/Nintendo Network ID. Hope this will help the guide. My conclusions so far:

1. You can use your 3DS, eShop and buy stuff without having an ID, but, as already known, no Miiverse, no merged balances and no free content download. By doing this you can still change the country on System Settings and access other countries' eShops.

2. If you create an ID for your 3DS you will be country-locked and only will be able to access the eShop logged in with your ID.

3. If you delete your ID you will lose EVERYTHING.

4. If you format the system memory you will lose everything UNLESS you link again the ID you have been using before, since the ID is not deleted during this process.

After discovering all this I see, indeed, that Nintendo is doing one step forward and three steps back indeed. What looks like more freedom is even more limits. They still don't know how to incorporate an account system. What kind of thing is this you lose games you paid a lot of money for by simply formating a machine and you cannot recover them???

So, if you want to sell your 3DS with all your games, the only option you have is to give the system with your ID on it. The only thing the new owner can do is change the email address and password. When you're formatting the system memory the information given is not clear since it says "Your Nintendo eShop account cannot be deleted", which makes you think you can simply redownload the content by accessing eShop again, not by re-linking the previous ID. Maybe if you hadn't created an ID you can format the system and redownload all the stuff, but I haven't tried this possibility yet.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

can anyone who has updated their 3ds can confirm they can avoid registering a nnid and that they can purchase games without ID?

adamical

adamical said:

Is it possible to link and unlink a Club Nintendo account from a Nintendo Network ID?

Doma

Doma said:

@alex167 Tied to the hardware, which i'm convinced won't ever change for as long Iwata and co are still running things. The ID is worthless.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@ThomasBW84 So, if before the update I downloaded a game not available in the region of the ID I will link, Does the update or NNID linking process deletes said game from the SD or erases its icon from my menu? or the game and icon stay there usable and just wont let me redownload if I erase it? or the game and icon stay there and wont let you launch it? (like a demo without uses remaining)

EDIT: Any problem with GBA Ambassador or other exclusive/limited time offer games? (DK Original Edition) I mean, they technically aren't available in any region.

@adamical Sure!

@PenCapChew So, Cant you just format a 3DS with a NNID and redownload the content (downloaded prior to the update)without a NNID or a different one from the eShop as we could before? (Provided you didn't erase the eShop account and/or NNID)

@eza It just wont let you link with an existing ID until you set the console's region to match the region of the NNID you want to link.

@Einherjar Ive just searched everywhere and it doesn't look like you can change your NNID country in the WiiU. You can only change the state/province and time zone, which apart from moving within your country or for taxes reasons its useless, since you still cant access content unavailable on your set region. Maybe you are talking about the Wii U console's country setting, which can be changed but doesn't affect NNIDs, or maybe its different in America. The only way that you could maybe change NNID regions is contacting Nintendo directly and say you moved to other country.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@tripunktoj: What you mean by any problem with GBA Ambassador? I still have NES, GBA, Ambassador App, and Donkey Kong Original Edition on my 3DS menu and eShop download list.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@Super_Gravy I was thinking there could be problems retaining those games, after I read in this guide that you don't retain the license to a game you got that is not available in the region of the ID you link, and technically those games aren't available in any region. Have you already linked a NNID?

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@tripunktoj: I haven't change region at all with my 3DS but I did linked a NNID and still have those games and it is included in my download list BUT I got an message that say "This software is currently unavailable." and its included Pokedex 3D as well. I don't know if this is important but I created an NNID on Wii U first a while ago then link the 3DS to NNID today.

I can play them but I don't know if I can redownload them since I have that message in my download list. (I still have all those games in my 3DS menu.) I don't want to take a chance to delete them and try to download them again.
I don't know if this help you at all.

I noticed there are 3 N/A title in my download list. I going find out what they are.

PenCapChew

PenCapChew said:

@tripunktoj nope... when you create or link a NNID to your 3DS all the downloaded content become tied to the ID, which is tied to the hardware. So if you format the system (and when you do this your ID is not deleted) the only way to re-download the stuff back is to re-link the ID that always has been used with the system. If you try to re-download without having an ID or with a new ID the titles won't appear on the "Titles You've Downloaded" list, zero titles.

That's why people should know that is not recommended to delete the ID. In the past few hours I've seeing some people deleting their IDs because they did something wrong, or because they were just testing the new update and they've lost all their stuff. Bad move from Nintendo.

And just to remember, if you format the system memory you can't link the existing ID to another 3DS. It can only be used with the system it has always been tied to.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@PenCapChew Its good to know, and at the same time really worrying if your system is stolen or completely damaged (if not damaged or stolen you can transfer the NNID in a system transfer, which has no use limit anymore)

@Super_Gravy Yes, you were great help! Its enough to know they can be played if they're on the SD, I don't blame you for not trying to see if you can redownload. I downloaded all the content Ive bought prior to the maintenance anticipating this.
Im still wondering about the usability of content bought on other regions though
EDIT: Seeing your NL profile in Canada, maybe your N/A titles are some USA only content, like a couple demos or DL videos that were only available there or Hulu. Or videos unavailable anymore.

@ThomasBW84 Here's another doubt, I know you cant download new free content if you don't link a NNID, but Can you redownload free content you downloaded before the update day without linking an NNID?

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

@Alshain01
I know, I wish you had to hold down L and R or hold them down for a few seconds to bring up the camera. It felt like every time I switched the wireless switch, I open up the camera.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Ok, cool. Streetpass Plaza update seems to be letting me update now. At least, its said "preparing" for a much longer time than 3 seconds. And it said I needed to free up blocks for the update (I just installed "Louvre" and had to make spaces for it, so I know that is probably the truth! lol) So yeah, just a heads up. Oh, and the progress bar is now moving! Good news!

Edit: Streetpass Plaza update complete! Finally :) It needs 104 blocks, not much. No visible change, I guess it just tied it to my MiiVerse account.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@tripunktoj: I think you are right since I check all my games and I have them all in my download list. I think I did download Hulu Plus in the past so that may be an N/A title in my download list. If so then what are the other two? The world may never know! XD

I got no Demo in my download list which is no big deal for me.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@letsplay With all of this Im seeing here, Im glad I am waiting a little to update, maybe they linked their ID during the periods when the eShops were down.

@Super_Gravy Now that you say it, I think demos have never appeared under the titles downloaded tab, only in the account activity tab (even before the update)

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Anyone else having trouble searching for friends in Miiverse 3DS? A buddy of mine successfully created her NNID and updated both her 3DS and StreetPass Mii Plaza (I sat next to and watched her do the whole thing). But when I try finding her by her NNID and/or her nickname in Miiverse, it doesn't locate her... Perhaps it's some day one kerfuffle?

eza

eza said:

@tripunktoj yeah, that's what I'm worried about. If I do that then I'll lose my downloaded 3DS games :-(
I have a second NNID on my Wii U with the country set to UK, which in theory would be the correct one to link my 3DS to, but I'm holding off from updating for a while until the dust clears and there are no more "I lost all my games" threads on http://techforums.nintendo.com/community/3ds

And regarding changing the country on an NNID; last month I asked Nintendo if it was possible and they replied with: "In regards to your query, I can confirm you will be able to change the country for you NNID by contacting customer support team. Please bare in mind by changing the country setting this will wipe your eShop purchases that you may have on the console"

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@grumblegrumble Hmm... Perhaps I accidentally missed a line in the terms (although I thought I perused it rather thoroughly)... Surely you should be able to search for/follow a buddy on Miiverse 3DS? The only thing I can find online is where a NoA Customer Service rep reported Miiverse 3DS would not have Friend Request or Friend PM features... Perhaps you can provide a link, if you wouldn't mind; I'll keep looking myself.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@c1pher_c0mplet Admittedly I just had a short line:

'"Blocked Users" and "Search Users" are self-explanatory (you can follow other users through the latter but not send friend requests on the 3DS)"

I've been able to find others using their NNID on Miiverse and Follow them, though I see some are having issues — I imagine there'll be some launch growing pains with stuff like this. But yeah, in Profile you should be able to find others and follow them. There's no friend support at the moment, as the 3DS is still using the code system.

JinxAkemi

JinxAkemi said:

Why arent you allowed to share your friend code on something thats supposed to be social? Silly people.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

odja

odja said:

I have a big problem. My linked 3DS is dead, i can not do transfer. I have second 3DS XL and want linked to nintendo id, but i can't. How unlinked damage 3ds?

ted-k

ted-k said:

@ferthepoet @Doma @tripunktoj @eza @PenCapChew This does seem to be several steps backwards in terms of creating a simple unified account system. This is very disappointing and I hope Nintendo does something to fix this soon. I don't plan to create a NNID until they do as this seems to create even more restrictions than before, as you can no longer access the eshop from another region and apparently will lose your games from other regions once you become locked in to one region with the NNID. Combining funds between a wii u and 3DS isn't a big deal to me and seems to be missing the point. It's not like it's that hard to add funds to each system separately. What I want is the ability to buy a virtual console game once and play it on either system, and to have all my purchases saved under one account that's not tied to any console so that I can redownload them at any time in the future to a new console in case of loss or theft or selling an older console etc. Nintendo still doesn't seem to understand this.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

@ted-k

I don't even care about cross-buy since I don't have a Wii U all I want is to know I won't lose my games if my 3DS is broken or lost or stolen, but what Nintendo is doing with this update is bringing all the drawbacks of an account system without any of the benefits

ted-k

ted-k said:

@ferthepoet
I actually just bought a wii u but haven't used it yet since I currently live in central america but bought the wii u online in Canada where I'm from. So the combined eshop funds thing is also irrelevant to me right now but wouldn't be a big deal even when I do start using the wii u. I agree, I don't see any real benefits but plenty of drawbacks to this system as it is now. I just hope we can continue using the eshop on the 3ds for the foreseeable future without setting up the Network ID, at least until a much improved account system is implemented. This system seems to completely ignore the fact that many people travel and spend time living in other countries. A portable system should be portable by definition. Not tied to a specific region! How hard would it be to have one account with all my eshop purchases which I could then link to any 3DS, then unlink it for any reason (it gets stolen, lost, broken etc.) and link it to a different 3DS? it's so simple. Oh yeah, and get rid of super restrictive country and region locking.

CureDolly

CureDolly said:

I can now confirm for anyone interested that after updating you can still buy games on the Japanese eShop with a Japanese 3DS outside Japan. Phew!

I have not made an ID yet and don't intend to until I know it is safe for downloading games when you are physically outside the region. Does anyone know yet?

eza

eza said:

@ted-k I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, I said as much in an email to Nintendo. I wrote:
"In a world where international travel has never been faster or cheaper,
this policy is a step backwards which fails to recognise changes in
peoples’ travel habits.
I can just about understand country restrictions being placed on a home
console, but not on a portable one. My original DS never had such
restrictions: I travelled extensively with it, and happily bought and
played games from different regions in which I travelled."

I received a "We are sorry to hear you are disappointed with our region restrictions." email back :-(

When travelling the world with my DS, I knew that any airport electronics shop would sell games that would work in my DS.
Now it's bordering on false advertising on Nintendo's part.
How is it possible that I can buy a Nintendo 3DS game and have it not work on my Nintendo 3DS?

If they're going to use region locking then they should rebrand for each region so as not to confuse and mislead consumers.

Imagine buying a CD and it not playing because your CD player isn't from a certain country. It's ridiculous...

PenCapChew

PenCapChew said:

@ted-k Me neither, I'm not creating an account until it's absolutely necessary or until they fix all this mess. I created in one of my three 3DS just to test. I'm really disappointed too. With this new update they could've done so much better. The games are still tied to the console but they are also tied to the ID which is tied to that console only. What the hell??? Can't you simply create a system that links all your 3DS games to an account? Then you can control to which 3DS console send the games or something?? Something that uses the computer's web browser? Something that can make you transfer the games to a different account if you want to sell them or something? What if your console gets damaged, gets stolen or something, as many people already said here?? I'm not an expert on this but I know what a gamer wants.

And the merge balance thing is absolutely irrelevant to me too since my Wii U is from north-america and my 3DS is from Europe. And these two might as well being made by different companies since Nintendo doesn't know that the other one exists, the same for a north-american 3DS and a European 3DS for example.

I can understand the region lock on Wii U, although PS4 and Xbox One don't have this stupidity anymore. But on the 3DS? Makes no sense at all. And some other thing also disappointed me, that speech of Reggie saying that they don't care about petitions and stuff. What company simply doesn't care about their customers' wishes? The person who signs a petition really wants the thing. So yes, he is a potential buyer or whatever.

I am being really pessimist but I don't see all this changing until the next generation. I was hoping Nintendo could remove the region lock at least from the 3DS at any moment and that they could create a better account system but nope. With this new update they took all my hopes away and put even more barriers on everything.

ted-k

ted-k said:

@eza
The reply you got from Nintendo is very discouraging.
I've always loved Nintendo for their games but this situation is not encouraging me to want to continue to buy their products.
@PenCapChew
Yeah, it´s so frustrating. It seems like such a simple thing: have all your digital purchases saved under one account and each game could be assigned to any one console at a time. why not implement a system like this? It would protect their content but still give customers the flexibility they want. And region locking and now country locking with the NNID? I don't see any purpose to this at all, not from their point of view as a company and certainly not from a customer's point of view.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

@ted-k

Nintendo loves to do what others don't even when it makes no sense, cost them lost of money and screw loyal customers over, they seem to get off on it

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@ThomasBW84 Cool. (Long pause: exams, what can I say? lol) Anyway, we figured it out: she completed the NNID process but had never actually went inside Miiverse 3DS yet. Guess actually opening the app the first time "initializes" your NNID into the Miiverse servers. As soon as she opened the app, I was able to search for and add her.

PenCapChew

PenCapChew said:

@ted-k Yes, dude... well, the only thing we can do is keep complaining and pushing Nintendo to see if they change things in the future, because they do study their customers after all. In every survey for Club Nintendo for example I do complain about some of this stuff and about the lacking of VC support as well. 14 games only for the GBC on the 3DS VC? Even GameGear has more. They keep throwing that garbage called Urban Champion in every opportunity they have. No GBA? What is all that, a joke? I've got the Ambassador Program but 10 games are not enough, and what about other people? I'm not gonna even mention Wii U's VC because that would be so embarrassing. Wii's VC was so amazing that for one moment I thought that Nintendo would keep running things like that. But I don't understand why they don't take advantage of an idea that worked. Most of the games weren't profitable? Where's DK64? I know it's a Rare game, but aren't the DK games still ruled by Nintendo? Iwata promised TurboGrafx-16 for the 3DS VC almost three years ago but nothing happened, no more words about that ever again. I'm tired of excuses and even about silence, you know!

Good that they still know how to make amazing hardwares and softwares otherwise they would be totally screwed since they have no idea how to do anything else.

Gee, I'm sounding like AVGN. Sorry bout that!

NintendoPlayer

NintendoPlayer said:

Hey everybody, guess who is on Miiverse. Gary Busey!! He wants into Smash Brothers, "Yeah" this post https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlB2xNdLA

TCreationz1971

TCreationz1971 said:

@ThomasBW84 I have a question that I hope you can answer. I bought a used 3ds. There is already an ID on it. There were also 10 games already downloaded as well. My question is: Is there any way I can change the ID to mine and still keep these games AND be able to still play them? I went to the system update and it warned me that deleting the ID would affect my ability to play my games. I really don't want to keep the ID already on here. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!