Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Seventeen

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Steel Diver, Nintendogs, The Yellow Devil and more

The start of another week means more Super Smash Bros. screens for us to enjoy; Masahiro Sakurai treated us to some particularly charming examples last week in the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room Miiverse community board, making some minor reveals in the process.

The reveals are mostly centred on items and assist characters that bring to mind relatively recent releases; one is a portable franchise on a Wii U screen, showing that there will be some degree of cross-over between the two. We also get a better look at the Mega Man-themed stage, while Sakurai-san give some insight into tweaks to the Shield Breaker move.

You can see last week's delights below; as always you can click on the date headings to see the original Miiverse posts and give them an approving 'Yeah'.

9th December

10th December

11th December

12th December

13th December

Quite a variety to enjoy this time around. Let us know which is your favourite out of these screens in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (343 votes)

Samus considers upgrading her arm cannon to a Steel Diver weapon

23%

Marth admires his work over a stunned Mega Man

11%

Kapp'n is indifferent to DK's attention

10%

The Yellow Devil arrives to cause chaos in the Wily stage

23%

D'aww, that Nintendog looks cute in HD

27%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

Hey, you may want to post about smash bros. with what Sakurai recently stated on twitter today. Seems as though he is about ready to announce a release date, or I may of misread

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

I'm not even that big of a dog person but...that fuzzy face! In HD! I never did think about it until now but...yeah, a 3DS game represented as an item in the Wii U game...though, isn't the X Bomb from Kid Icarus Uprising in it too? Maybe items will be uniform throughout...

Diz93

Diz93 said:

This makes me realize how fun a Nintendogs game could be on the Wii U. As a 20 year old college male student, it might be tough to keep my friends respect though haha

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Chose the Mega Man and Marth one, due to the upgraded power of the shield breaker being a cool development.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for Donkey Kong meets Kapp'n (NL misspells his name again!) because of how funny Donkey Kong's face is. Sheesh, DK, he's just a frog, not a Kremling! He looks as though he saw King K. Rool return after five years.

The Steel Diver gun would be my second choice. That looks like a rather cute and cool new weapon. I stilll have yet to play Steel Diver, though.

Seeing the Nintendog come back was neat, because it showed me that other assist trophies from Brawl will likely come back too. I'm hoping for Kat & Ana and Waluigi!

marko

marko said:

I have a bad feeling about this game I am the biggest smash bros fan, and I just feel like it won't be as good as it's predecessors. I hope they really work on online make it the game to really embrace multiplayer and online, but i feel like it won't be that game... I duno just give me melee in HD with an awesome online element. I duno call me cautiously optomistic...

KingMike

KingMike said:

No, the Nintendog does not bring a smile to my face.
Maybe if he wasn't blocking the screen he would. :P

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

Sounds like they have an internal design competition to see how many unique game references they can stuff into this game. Seems like overkill to me, but I've never really been a fan of the series, so I stopped playing after the N64 version.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I love that first screenshot, but I gotta say I really like both of the ones with Marth. I'm glad Marth is returning, but I really really REALLY hope Ike does too!

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

@marko I never cared for online, I much prefered beating the crap out of my friends and laughing at them when I spammed them to death with Pikachu and Marth. Life's more fun when you can trash-talk your friends.

marko

marko said:

@linktothepichu
Yeah but on the wii u you can easily have the camera and microphone on the tablet controller you can easily trash talk your friends and do it all online.
Nintendo needs to embrace online So much untapped potential. I like playing with my friends locally too but not everyone has the time to go to your house and play, not only that but you can even make new friends online...
Anyway I just want the option.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I don't think fans who have never played Mega Man 3 can ever truly appreciate the feeling I have right now after seeing that pic of Mega Man in front of Wiley Castle with Gamma separating across the screen. This moment, right now, is quite possibly the 2nd happiest moment of my life (the happiest being when I first watched the E3 Smash Bros 4 trailer revealing Mega Man- seriously, a tear rolled down my cheek that day)

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Anybody else going to play as Mega Man first the moment SSB.U hits shelves? B-) And as for the original Yellow Devil, he has nothing on Mega Man 10's block Devil. Try perfecting hisTorturous Patterns!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Morpheel
I saw a dog look just like that eating it's own poop one day, just sayin. ;) :P
Have your self a merry poopy christmas! Stay classy NL

NinGamer

NinGamer said:

I find it really neat that they added the Yellow Devil in the game. Of all the megamans, i still cant beat the original due to it :)

Slayer

Slayer said:

I'm assuming the Yellow Devil will be just as annoying to fight in Smash than in Mega Man. So I'm just going to say:
NOOOOO!!! Not the Yellow Devil!

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

man that dog really does look very real!
who said the wii u was under powered this and 3d world look just as good as any ps4/xbone game.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

It's clear Smash Bros. Wii U is so far from being even close to being completed that they can't release new information in fear they will run out of information to release and the hype die like it did for Brawl.

I have started to look at these screens of content we already know is in the game shown over and over again with disdain.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

The dog is ugly. It should've been a cuter breed or something. Anyway it would be tight seeing SHADOW the Hedgehog in this game if they agree on character selections.