Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Fifteen

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The new Ray Gun, a Zelda train, Bowser schooling Sonic and more

Monday is here again, so it's time to enjoy our regular dose of new screens for Super Smash Bros.; they arrive, as always, courtesy of Masahiro Sakurai on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room Miiverse community board. We know how hard he's working on these games, so we're always pleased to see the fruits of those labours.

This week's round-up doesn't deliver any huge reveals, but does present this generation's Ray Gun design and some details on balancing and visual indicators. We'd normally summarise those revelations here, but as Miiverse no longer allows a quick and easy copy and save of images, we're switching up to present Masahiro Sakurai's posts in full; it's a move that's been requested by some, and Nintendo has forced our hand.

So check out last week's images below, and as always click on the date headings to see the original Miiverse posts and given them a 'Yeah'.

25th November

26th November

27th November

28th November

29th November

We think last week had some good'uns, and it was pleasing to see two 3DS screens thrown in for good effect. Let us know which is your favourite in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (360 votes)

Wii Fit Trainer isn't scared of Marth's sword swing

Mario decides not to dual-wield the new Ray Gun

15%

Bowser puts his shell to good effect against Sonic

21%

Link hops trains while Pikachu enjoys the ride

Fox feels the force of Toon Link's blows

46%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Gioku

Gioku said:

Yay, more 3DS screenshots! The 3DS version is looking so good! I just knew they'd pull out the 3DS's full power for SSB! :)

Warruz

Warruz said:

Happy to see Bowser in action, ever since they added him he has been my favorite.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

That picture of Fox getting struck by Link looks gorgeous.. I'm really liking that red/black low health/strong hit effect. Hopefully it isn't too obnoxious though.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@sinalefa Yeah, I was aware some of you wanted this format :)

It's more annoying to put together (especially when time is short), and I'm less happy with the image quality, personally. Ultimately the Miiverse update forced the change!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I like the first photo - very God of War arena. Best looking one Ive seen so far.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I voted for the red-black effect. I think these new games will be the most bombastic yet with the kind of effects not seen since the original Smash Bros. games. When there's a character with a high amount of damage, there's going to be a flashy electric effect when that character gets hit and he or she ends up flying out of the stage with a loud explosion rather than the character giving a cry of dismay.

My second choice would be the "Sonic, failure" one. At least Sonic would only lose his rings. Mega Man, on the other hand, would've died instantly. Obviously Smash Bros. will remedy that.

There was a lot of uproar over that new ray gun design, but I'm fine with it. Whether you like it or not, that new ray gun definitely looks different.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Ensure it doesn't look like a real gun.

Still, seriously? What year do you think it is? I'm not so much surprised as much as still upset, we are talking about Nintendo who discontinued messaging services THAT STILL REQUIRE FRIEND CODES TO USE because people were sending others "inappropriate content". Snake having only explosives when it is actually explicitly stated in the Metal Gear games he prefers guns over any other form of combat, how long are you going to treat your audience like idiots Nintendo? Not that it makes a huge difference unless there is a gun specific character that's getting screwed over, but whether the gun looks real shouldn't matter, this is a game with swords, bombs, lasers, and is about beating up other characters, yet a gun is "going too far"?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@DarkKirby They don't want it to look like a real one probably because children will play this and real guns are easily fired. People don't have bombs, and usually not swords which a kid would hardly be able to use.

Do you know the difference between something realistic and comic mischief?

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@DarkKirby That's not what Sakurai is saying. The point is that it's supposed to be a weird-looking, futuristic beam shooter (hence, ray gun). It doesn't look like an actual gun simply because it's not supposed to be an actual gun.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...the 3DS screens look pretty blurry, I'm guessing due to the being in a size they were not intended to be in.

The ray gun looks pretty cool though, the older models were kind of bland looking (the all silver look doesn't work as well for zoomed out views of the battlefield).

Sylvester

Sylvester said:

This might be a good reason to buy a Wii U... And Mario Kart 8 is also a very good reason too :D

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

@DarkCoolEdge

If your children can't tell the difference between video games, movies, TV, and real life, you aren't raising your children properly. It is the parents responsibility to explain the difference.

I don't agree with everything in that video, but the main point I do. I haven't rewatched it in some time so be warned the video might have profanity.

@Hyperstar96

I hope I misunderstood as such, but I have my doubts.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@DarkKirby This. FREEAKING HALO merchandise is in the toy section of most walmarts and targets now. A rated M FOR MATURE GAME is in the TOY SECTION of stores. I blame parents for not doing research and companies like walmart and target for placing adult items in the toy section within a young child's reach.

2Sang

2Sang said:

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

@2Sang umm what?? So you think Walmart is responsible for the children's experience in their stores but its not nintendo's responsibilty for the childrens experience in their games-its the parents? That seems hypocrytical. You do realise this game will either be E or T rating?

element187

element187 said:

@DarkKirby I love Penn & Teller. That was a great show. Too bad we don't have more libertarians out there on TV dispelling myth from facts.

Rafie

Rafie said:

The Bowser pic literally ducking Sonic is my fav out of the rest shown. Toon Link is next. Now please confirm JigglyPuff please so I can be a happy 31 year old kid again. :)

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Sometimes I wish the 3DS version was cancelled early into development...it's gonna lower the Wii U version's sales. A lot.

Revere

Revere said:

I'm glad they went with different stages for each version. If link doesn't catch that train it could be messy.

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

@Melkaticox
Why would they cancel the 3ds if it is going to have more sales then the Wii u?
Honestly I think it will depend on what people are looking for. I have both Wii u and 3ds XL and I don't really have enough money to by both. I am leaning towards the Wii u version because the graphics are better (I'm slightly picky about that) and the controls will prob be same as last time. Then again I love playing online mode and I can't imagine how great the 3ds online mode will be (if they have it). The last thing is that the Wii u version will probably cost more money. 3D land for 3ds was 40$ and 3D world for Wii U was 60$ so I'm expecting a similar difference in price. It will be a tough decision... Hopefully I can get enough money by then for both.

nintendork666

nintendork666 said:

I will totally be buying both, but the Wii U version is definitely the must-have for me. I only need the 3ds one so I can play w/ friends at work. ^_^

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Benjelo thayv alredy sed that only the WiiU ver has the Online play 3DS only has local wierless play i seem to remember them saying that really erly in

Yosher

Yosher said:

Gotta love the Ray Gun's new look! Wonder if it has any kind of (new) special effect now though.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Austroid We all KNOW she'll be in there. I hope she'll get her own new game announced in the near future. 3ds and/or Wii U! And I hope it'll be like prime, with first person controls like Wind Waker HD: twin sticks with gyro assist for pixel perfect aiming and sense of tension, without having to stand up to play. And of course optional pointer controls.

mamp

mamp said:

My vote was solely based on how you titled the picture, Nice job to whoever comes up with them.

Austroid

Austroid said:

@Shambo I meant as far as pics of the day go, we haven't seen her for weeks; let alone be the main focus of the pic.

But the fact she hasn't had a new game in 3 years works too. When Zelda has had more games released within a few years, you know something's off.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Austroid or, as often, they could be keeping the best for last. The trilogy is over, has been re-released, and other M was imo great, but not that warm welcomed by others... So maybe they're just waiting a bit. One can hope... I'd like to have had a proper Metroid game by now on 3ds as well...