Exclusive: Mutant Mudds Deluxe Content Coming as a Free Update on 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Q1 2014 is the target

In October 2012 Renegade Kid provided those that own the 3DS eShop original of Mutant Mudds with 20 free 'Granny' levels that had previously been available on the PC version of the game. In a conversation with the studio's Jools Watsham today he's confirmed to us that Q1 2014 — potentially March — will bring another free update to the 3DS title that'll feature the content from Mutant Mudds Deluxe, which has previously been released on the Wii U eShop in North America.

That means the addition of the Deluxe-only Ghost levels on 3DS, of which there are 20 to take on; these include new power-ups and enemy types, such as limited ammo and foes that can't be killed. There is a ghost level for every unlocked main level in the game, so if you've already beaten the main campaign they should await you after the update; below is a summary of the stages that Watsham gave us earlier this year.

I tried to incorporate a gradual difficulty curve across the 20 Ghost Levels; easing players into the new gameplay of ghost avoidance. Overall, the Ghost Levels definitely pose a challenge, but perhaps not quite as brutal as some of the secret levels.

The free Deluxe add-on to the 3DS version is particularly good news in Europe, as the region never received a release of the Wii U iteration. Watsham explains the reasoning for that absence, talks about the challenges and successes of 2013 — as well as objectives for 2014 — in a special 'Year in Development' feature that we'll publish this weekend.

Don't forget that Mutant Mudds on the 3DS eShop has a 50% discount in both Europe and North America until 2nd January 2014; Mutant Mudds Deluxe is also reduced on the Wii U eShop in North America. With the original game, Granny levels and the upcoming Deluxe update, it gives plenty of bang for your buck.

Have you played Deluxe on the Wii U, and are you looking forward to this free 3DS update in 2014?

Related Games

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So the discount only applies to the 3DS version? Then I may get that one instead.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Very cool. I love the game and I have 100%ed it a few times. 20 new levels are most welcome.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Man, this is awesome. Can't wait to get the extra levels! Still one of my favourite Eshop purchases and with all the free DLC Renegade Kid have given me, they've definitely got a loyal customer for life.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Jules Watsham: Thanks dude. You could have easily charged us for the DLC, but you took care of your customers instead. Very nice of you, happy holidays!

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

This is awesome! It's a shame that we never got Deluxe, but it's great to see that the Ghost Levels are coming to the 3DS. Still want to replay this game, so I think when the update comes around I'll start a new game again. Still love it, one of my favourite eShop games. It's good to see that it's still being supported.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Awesome news! Can't say I've fully completed the game yet - it tends to hand me my own donkey in the later, more challenging levels. But I don't go down without a fight, and I'm gonna do it!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I thought they had said that they weren't going to do this? The reason why I double dipped

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

The ghost levels plus the hidden characters are cool and make a great update to the normal version.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

So does the Wii U not get the update too?

I rather enjoy playing this game on my Wii U

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Only now it seems there's little reason for my having the Wii U version. :P Oh well, the more mudds the merrier.

@ikki5 Well see, this update is adding the ghost levels which the Wii U version already has.

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Nice to hear full details of the update and a rough date of release.

I really hope this helps sell this cool little platformer to anyone that`s not already purchased it. That and the 50% discount offer.

simonhwsn

simonhwsn said:

I bought mutant mudds 30% off last september, too bad I don't own a crystal ball.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Thanks for the free updates! I wish they'd make a Zelda II style Zelda game using this style and most importantly the multiple foregrounds/backgrounds mechanic!

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

This is great! I just got this last night for the 3DS and I love how crisp it looks in 3D. For that reason alone I was thinking this was the definitive edition. Now it really will be!

lights

lights said:

Seems like a pretty good incentive to buy the game considering the sale.

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

Awesome news and just cemented my decision to but the sale version for 3DS over Wii U. Now all we need is Nintendo to allow Jools to remake the AWESOME Wario Land Virtual Boy for 3DS that he posted the screenshot to on his Twitter.Ever since the 3DS was announced, that has been one of the main games I wanted Nintendo to port and I can think of no better group for the job than Renegade Kid. Please Nintendo, make this happen!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I knew it! Good news!

@TreonsRealm,

That's a great idea! If Nintendo is to lazy to port the game, then at least let Renegade do it!

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Mutant Mudds > Mighty Switch Force > Chugging back a Frosty the snow man poop milk shake >>>>>> Gunman Clive

marc_max

marc_max said:

This is how a game company have to treat its users! Thank you Renegade Kid! :-)
I'm looking forward for this free update, and for your next game too!

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Just got the game yesterday since it is on sale for $4.50 in NA. How can I tell if the game already includes the 20 free Grannie Levels? Or was that only for a limited time for those that already owned the game? Where do I go to download the free DLC?