CastleStorm Gets Closer to Storming the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It should be ready to rock soon"

Zen Studios, to date, has been supportive of the Wii U eShop in bringing both Zen Pinball 2 and Star Wars Pinball to the platform, but we were starting to wonder whether the promised CastleStorm would ever make an appearance.

The good news is that the title appears to be finally approaching release, with the studio posting on its own forums to link to the official Nintendo game page, which is showing December as the target window. Zen Studio's Community Manager said that the release date wasn't pinned down, but that it "should be ready to rock soon".

This game has attracted praise for its releases on other platforms, as it offers a mashup of real-time strategy, tower defence and 2D brawling. Its features will include a story mode, castle editor, co-op and online multiplayer; the releases on other platforms have also had additional DLC, so we'll also be interested in seeing whether that content will be on the Wii U day one or at a later date.

We're certainly looking forward to giving this a whirl; the trailer for its previous Xbox 360 release is below, which is practically identical to that currently on the Nintendo game page. Are you looking forward to this one?

Thanks to Spoony_Tech for the tip.

[via forum.zenstudios.com]

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

I think I played this before and kind of liked it.. maybe I'll check it out on the Wii U, if it's a reasonable price that is. The fact that it has online play makes me want it more. Wii U is severely lacking in that area.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Played the crap out of the demo, luckily this wasn't in the recent steam sale so i wasn't tempted to pick it up then but i'll be getting the Wii U release day one for co-op fun.

I'm wondering if they will bundle the two dlcs with it or do some kind of deal?

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Cool I am looking forward to this but with Zen Studios track record December will probably mean February.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@DefHalan lol true that true that!

To their defense though once submitted its out of their hands. This has happen to them before. If anything there crime is reporting it should be out before it gets a date from Nintendo.

Everly

Everly said:

@DefHalan I don't even want to think about going through that again.

@Spoony_Tech I talked with their PR rep. It seems that Zen was taken by surprise that Nintendo posted about the title so they were a little caught off guard. I'm hoping it is true that the Wii U will get online multiplayer as that feature didn't make it on ZP2.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Everly So the ball really is in Nintendo's court to get us a date? Let's just hope we don't get it 6 weeks after Europe! ;-)

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I don't know if they're nearly as supportive as you say. What happened with that star wars pinball dlc that was supposed to come to wii u?

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Tried it on Vita and the left analog stick to move the ballista (sp?) was so finicky that it was hard to be able to make precise shots which is important in a game such as this.

Baum897

Baum897 said:

This game is AMAZING. I played the demo and one match at friends house while we were waiting for someone else (school stuff) and just that was enough for me to consider buying it, but I never got a chance to do so with games coming out on Wii U I wanted more than this (not too much into PC gaming...except for an hour or two of borderlands) and I have to admi that I actually forgot about it until just now.

A must-buy for me and finally the opportunity to spend the last 15€ eShop balance. ^^

simonsaysno

simonsaysno said:

wow that trailer looks awesome!!.. i love indie games but somehow never heard of this game til now.day one purchace for sure!

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

I recall Zen saying this was coming to the 3DS as well like 1 1/2 years ago....wonder if it still is at some point. Looks pretty cool

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Zemus-DJ Yeah I'm not holding my breath on that. If its taking this long to hit the Wii U I say if the 3ds sees it at all we are looking at another 6 months to a year if the system can even handle it!?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Emblem Yeah but lets not forget those are all HD systems and the 3ds needs different programming as the others are more or less straight ports. Although I'm sure the Wii U had some work around as well but I'm sure Zen is finally starting to get use to it!

Rafie

Rafie said:

Guys/gals I have this on the 360 and I can tell you that it's definitely worth the pick up. Castlestorm will probably be best on the Wii U seeing as the gamepad will add extra incentive to the game. I may double dip.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'll be keeping my eye on this. It looks really fun! :) Edit: Just b/c I currently don't have a WU, doesn't mean I never will. So, it's always good to keep up to speed on titles I may find interesting, & fun.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Well I certainly hope it's under ten bucks, since all I have on my eShop account currently is $9.87... If not, I will have to go buy another card, which is no loss really xD