Cast Your Gaze Over These Rare 3DS Models

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Open to Flets Hikari customers, or you can go to China

We often hear of limited edition 3DS hardware models available around the world, though many of the best examples are typically reserved for the Japanese market. That's going to be the case once again, though this time around Chinese gamers did get in there first.

The two 3DS XL models pictured above will be available in Japan, but there will only be 100 of each and the criteria for getting one will be painfully specific. Those that want one will need to sign up as new customers to the Flets Hikari internet service, and even then these Mario-themed models will cost 19,900 yen (US$194 / €141 / £118). But still, they are rather attractive.

They're not entirely exclusive to Japan, however, as they were actually released in China in late 2012 under Nintendo's iQue brand, and as pictured below there was an additional variation and they had pre-installed titles such as Super Mario 3D Land.

In both cases, they're out of reach for the vast majority in the West — they'll likely be the preserve of dedicated importers. Would you like to get your hands on any of these models?

[via kotaku.com]

Warruz

Warruz said:

Just give me a Good Monster Hunter 3DS XL model, its all i want for....well Christmas is a little to early for MH4 to come out.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I just got a blue/black one on Black Friday, and I like the blue on it more then the regular 3DS I used before, so I'm satisfied.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I'm just tired of green not getting any love. And I don't mean LIME! I want a forest green 3DS. The DSiXL finally got one . . . 6 MONTHS AFTER THE 3DS LAUNCHED!? Are you kidding me? For now, it's just Cosmo Black for me as I wait. At least it matches my Wii U.....

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I got my MH4 3DSLL. Its so pretty. But I got the black one. I'm no nervous about it getting scratched. I got a case for it, but still...

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

The grey one looks good. If i didn't have to leave behind everything digital on my original 3DS i'd be interested. [sub]XL would definitely be too big for my pockets.[/url]

Warruz

Warruz said:

@Tsuchinoko I hope they bring the same to the West when they release it. Also was the game a download or the actual cartridge with the bundle?

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its a cartridge with the bundle, which I preferred since I have the game box and instruction manual and everything was included. It was the same with the MH3G 3DS bundle.
I don't mind a digital download for certain titles, but I wanted my MH to be tangible.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Also, I wouldn't say the criteria for these models is PAINFULLY specific, since Flets Hikari is one of the most widely used internet services here in Japan.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

These are very nice. But my Legend of Zelda Edition 3DS is all I'll ever need~

Until I decided to upgrade to a 3DS XL somewhere down the line, which won't be any time soon, I'd say. And it'd also be a limited-edition model. ;)

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Although these are certainly cool systems, there was an article some time ago with turquoise and orange XL's...I think I drooled a little when I saw them...

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

If one of these gets released here, I wont be sad to have missed the Pikachu one.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

All three of them look great! I'm especially digging the one on the left, though I'd never buy a second 3DS just to get a new cover.