Xenoblade Studio Monolith Soft Was Involved With Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Posted by Damien McFerran

Many hands make light work?

Nintendo working with other studios on its big titles isn't anything new, but it's nevertheless interesting to note that Monolith Soft's name appears in the end credits to The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

The Xenoblade creator — which is a subsidiary of Nintendo — isn't a stranger to the Zelda franchise. It also helped out on Skyward Sword, but its involvement with Link Between Worlds hasn't been revealed previously.

The news was reported by German site Nintendo Online, but we've confirmed it with our own copy of the game.

We reviewed the new 3DS adventure last week, and it was awarded a worthy 10/10 rating. Are you looking forward to picking it up?

[via nintendoeverything.com, nintendo-online.de]

TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth said:

Wonder what they had to do with the game.

Also, I wonder when news about THEIR next game will be appearing.

cookiex

cookiex said:

Monolith Soft were involved with Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf as well.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Almost anything they touch seems to be a winnner; Monolith Soft is really talented over there.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Frankly, I really didn't like Xenoblade. It felt like an MMO, complete with pointless quests and grindy combat, with no other players in it.

Whatever they did for Zelda, though, they seem to have done right.

Emblem

Emblem said:

They have two studios, one is focused on X and the other is working on a 3DS game (forgot name).

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

It will be hard to wait for "X" on Wii U... but Link's newest adventure should help ease the pain.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Don't play xenoblade, but xenogears is what I know monolith is capable of. Tetsuya takahashi - Soraya saga rocks

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

I suppose this is the 3DS team, not the Wii U team. I have seen a lot of people saying they should focus on X, but these guys are supposed to be developing on handhelds anyways.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I'm finally buying a 3DS because of this. I have the Zelda bundle reserved.

divinelite

divinelite said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187 yes, it's because squaresoft don't want cannibalism between xenogears and ff8 I've read and so force xenogears rushed

That made takahashi San quit and build xenosaga under Namco. All explained in Xenogears Perfect Works

Ungravitify

Ungravitify said:

Hmm Monolith seems to be involved with alot of nintendo's titles in one way or another. I wonder what would happen if they ever got a chance to work entirely by themselves with a nintendo Ip like metroid or starfox.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Ungravitify Considering what they have done with "X" you could expect a visual experience, that would definitly rival the two newcommer consoles ;) These folks know what they are doing.
But im not that sure how competent they are on their own with anything other than RPGs.

ueI

ueI said:

Whenever I see a story like this, I always wonder what portion of the game they worked on.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

This is part of the new blood needed to freshen up Zelda. And X looks amazing.

kidicaroots

kidicaroots said:

After X is out, I'd love to see Monolith Soft remake Xenogears for the 3DS. This would truly be amazing.

Anclation

Anclation said:

Those guys are amazing, X is actually my most eagerly anticipated game at the moment.

vamkar

vamkar said:

Nintendo, stop it! Let them focus on X because THAT’s going to be the best Wii U game so far in my opinion

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Did everyone just forget about Baten Kaitos, once Xenoblade Chronicles came out?

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

Really glad to see them helping out. Granted, its different from them working primarily on the game. We've heard teases that Miyamoto wouldn't mind Retro taking a crack at a Zelda game...maybe add Monolith Soft someday?

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@mhsillen - X is what they are calling the new RPG that is being worked on by Monolith Soft for the Wii U since it is still at this point unnamed.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Would be nice if the Kyoto branch could work on their own 3DS game, instead of helping Nintendo's other studios with other games.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

So far Monolith Soft has been involved in Skyward Sword, Brawl, Project X Zone, Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing, and now this. Monolith has been a great asset for Nintendo.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

If only Nintendo outlined the details of involvement...
It could be anything, from game design to just having some Monolith programmers program these games... but Nintendo never tells us how they are involved with these games.
But when Retro Studios was helping with Mario Kart 7, Nintendo immediately outlined that they were mostly doing race track design/track animation work.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Well now that I know they had a hand in this game gives me all the more reason to get it!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@divinelite um, xenoblade is one of my favorite games of all time. massive open world jrpg with psuedo=realtime battle system, new game plus, amazing story and voice acting, and thousands of collectables. it's beyond fantastic

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@hiptanaka
I hope even you can admit the world design and soundtrack were phenomenal though. The combat system isn't something I was a huge fan of but I fell head over heels for just roaming around that world.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@AJWolfTill I really like the atmosphere. The problem is there is nothing interesting to find in the world. Only random collectibles and monsters. The music is great, yes.