Weirdness: Nintendo of America Celebrates the Flying 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"FAA FTW"

Nintendo's games, when you assess them with a critical perspective, are weird. The company's main mascot lives in The Mushroom Kingdom and fights an enormous turtle thing with a dog's name, while this year a major Wii U release put players in control of hundreds of colour co-ordinated minions that collect fruit and fight creatures to retrieve old mobile phones. Video games are weird, and Nintendo is weird.

And Nintendo of America is embracing the weirdness, bit by bit, which is absolutely fine by us. On this occasion it's a reaction to the news from earlier in November that the Federal Aviation Administration is easing rules on using electronic devices on flights in the U.S., good news for those that want to browser phones, tablets or — even better — play a 3DS.

With Nintendo of America recently kicking off its partnership with Southwest Airlines, it's now posted the utterly random tweet below to celebrate the FAA's decision.

It's spontaneous, and some may ask "why tweet this, NoA?". As we're talking about being able to play 3DS games on a plane the response should probably be, "why not?"

[via twitter.com]

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Haxonberik Not really, we've had the Louvre ND, Miiverse update and we published a feature outlining potential gift ideas, to name a few. Just enjoying NoA's bit of quirkiness, because VIDEO GAMES.

Thats-what-she

Thats-what-she said:

I recently flew US Air & United across the US and back with my iPad and 3DS on the entire flight.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Yeah, I flew Air Canada to San Diego 2 years ago with my 3DS. I played for a good chunk of the flight.

megamanrulz14

megamanrulz14 said:

I flew on Air Transat to Europe from my hometown of Calgary(I'm Canadian!)and I mostly played AC:NL during that flight along with Project X Zone and some others. Europe was awesome, by the way!

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

Microwaves should just go become less problematic :P
(When I say microwaves I'm referring to the wave type, not the machine that makes popcorn.)

Yokodera

Yokodera said:

awesome now i can play my 3DS if i go to fly somewhere. Btw. games that are not weird are not fun :D

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

"Video games are weird, and Nintendo is weird." That's what I love about Nintendo! Kind of a funny tweet if you ask me!

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I was on two international flights in the past week, and it was great to be able to play my 3DS from start to finish.