Video: Ubisoft Unveils Illuminating New Child of Light Walkthrough Footage

Posted by Conor McMahon

More than just a pretty face?

One of two new UbiART titles announced by Ubisoft just a few months ago, Child of Light caught the attention of the public with a whimsical style that stepped away from the outright zaniness of the celebrated frameworks' counterpart; Rayman Legends.

Today we've been treated to a video demo of the game's mechanics, and guided through some exploration and combat by lead programmer Brianna Code.

Described as "a reimagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria", it seems like a natural transition for Ubisoft to focus more on story this time around.

Notable features include a skills tree to take advantage of particular weaknesses, side-scrolling exploration and traditional turn-by-turn RPG combat, alongside some interesting additions such as an online messaging system reminiscent of Demon's Souls' player warnings.

The title will launch on Wii U and multiplatform in 2014, so time will tell if Ubisoft has painted a world of true depth here or not.

[via youtube.com]

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The sooner Ubisoft follow in the footsteps of THQ the better. Maybe some life gets injected into their IP when that happens until then they make nothing interesting and actively poison the market for other 3rd parties on Wii U.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

(The price reducing strategy they have is an if we cannot have it no one can type thing that will kill it for almost everybody else other than Nintendo).

Donutman

Donutman said:

Omg that looks awesome. I really hope it's not over in 12 hours....or ubisoft ubicraps it.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Beautiful music and Grandia II inspired combat... if this gets good reviews, I'll be buying it when I can find the time for it.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Reminds me somewhat of Legends of Mana, art-style-wise. That's a huge plus in my book. I think I'll pick this up day one, well, download anyway. From what I've heard this is just a eShop title. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LichiRichi

LichiRichi said:

The battle system looks pretty interesting. Looking forward to more footage/information :)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@unrandomsam
Seriously? So you would prefer to NOT have Rayman Legends to play? Or Splinter Cell Blacklist? Or Assassin's Creed? Or Watch Dogs? Or this Child of Light? I actually like playing games, and Ubisoft not only makes fun games, they bring them to the Wii U, unlike most 3rd party companies. Don't like their games, don't buy them. But why would you wish everyone else to do without?

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Ubisoft is developing some nice Wii U games lately. I think I'll get this one.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Looks beautiful and I love the animations of the main character when it's full body. The close up animations are pretty disappointing to be honest. And the monster animations, too. Hopefully, there's a lot more time in the oven for this one. :)

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I bought Assassin's Creed 3 and Rayman, and I'm sad to say I felt... unconnected to both games. I didn't feel I was controlling either character and their actions seemed light and 'floaty'. I felt whatever I did had no consequence as the games reset themselves to a point until I got it right. They both look pretty but didn't feel any sense of achievement, or desire to continue with either of them I doubt I'll purchase another of their games.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

@JaxonH You know what game Ubisoft needs to bring to the Wii U? A sequel to "Lost Magic". I mean, it would be perfect for the Wii U. I know the original for the DS got a lot of flack for being hard and somewhat flimsy controls, but I loved that game.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JaxonH What they are doing with their pricing will make it even harder for other 3rd parties to succeed. (Ones actually making exclusives that deserve to be cared about). They are destroying it for everybody else.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Outside of Nintendo, these days the majority of focus is put on visuals while game play is nothing but an afterthought which goes against Miyamoto's philosophy. what i see here is a beautiful looking game and that is all. Nothing that interesting strictly in terms of game play, which was the exact problem i had with rayman origins. when it comes to sidescrollers i feel like I've seen it all....Wario Land shake it which was released back in 2007 was the big 'shake up', it poured & drizziled hardware innovation into the genre itself, it was truly next gen side scrolling platformer experience, the tilt based controls added so much to the game, it was just amazing. So what is to make of this? Another generic samo' samo' platformer with stylistic visuals? Seems all too superficial to me.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Cantwait.gif
I wish this was be released on the 3DS too though :( I'd definitely double dip.

Zyph

Zyph said:

I think this is there take on a Visual Novel/JRPG style game. And it's pretty good.

Vriess

Vriess said:

I don't like turn-based combat, otherwise I would have definitely gotten this title.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@JaxonH I totally agree with your comment this community has some kinda vendetta on poor Ubisoft and like you stated they are the only 3rd Party developer that are putting time for the Wii U full stop but they always complain how they develop titles they "Don't" like but what if Ubi drops support for Nintendo Consoles all together would this community give a damn or would they complain as usual stating the obvious BS. Regardless of this Child of Light looks great and has amazing RPG styled gameplay also good for the Wii U like it or not but for this immature bunch probably not.

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah, these modern RPG's are nothing compared to the awesome 8/16-Bit Phantasy stars and Final Fantasy classics... They just rely on graphics alone to sell them while becoming stale like PSBOX36041 FPSers ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187

So you're telling me that Super Mario Bros. 1 and SMB.2 USA are the same? lol heck, 1,2,3 & World are enormously different from each other. this isn't Mega Man we're talking....A franchise that reuses the same sprites and practically does the same thing over and over, to the point of lets say...MM4,5 & 6 feeling like 'expansion' packs...And crappier ones at that. ;)

So yeah, you're kind of dead wrong. the New Super Mario Bros series? Yeah....it all looks like the same wallpaper to me. ;)

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@unrandomsam: still not over the Rayman Legends delay? I was a little miffed at first, but... seriously, it's gone, it's in the past. Buy the game and you will not be disappointed.

To say that Ubisoft are poisoning the 3rd-party market for the Wii U makes you reek of bitterness and you're clearly blind to the fact that Ubisoft are one of the few companies still driving 3rd-party on the Wii U. If they went the way of THQ and sold their IP to other companies, the Wii U would see even less games (god forbid any of this stuff would be bought by EA). Of course, that's not going to happen.

On a side note, did you actually watch the trailer? This game looks amazing and quite original. The battle mechanics remind me of Grandia's, particularly the timeline and being able to cancel an enemy's action.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@CountWavula Now we getting on MegaMan LOL dude reality check SMB2 USA wasn't suppose to be the game it was in the first place for starters the game was based off a japanese only Famicom game called Doki Doki Panic the "REAL" Japanese SMB2 WAS the same game but way harder and challenging and Nintendo Japan didn't see us US children or whatever country you live as compentant to beat the game. So Nintendo Japan shipped NOA Doki Doki Panic to develop Mario over the main layer of the game so we can have a Mario 2 title which was watered down version of an terrible game. I grew up playing these games and for SMB3 you know why thats the best Mario because it was amazing different in every department. Now back to basics why hate on MegaMan is you that terrible at the series or you too Pro Nintendo and Anti everything else.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@ljb88 Read my comment fool I know they different the 3D ones anyways I was stating that when you play the best mario you play them all. The 2D NSMB series isn't my cup of tea too damn easy to beat also Nintendo needs to go back to the roots of classic SMB core.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@D3athBr1ng3r187

lmao, thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure everybody here already knows the SMB2/doki doki panic story by now, this isn't 1988(God i wish was haha)
And thank god we got Doki Doki panic, i find it to be the greatest mario in the entire 2D franchise, the original japanese version? Hands down the worst, it feels like you're playing a Rom Hack. And yeah...I'm a big fan of mega man, i'm just pointing out that 4,5,6 reused the same visual asthettics where as SMB1,2 & 3 were completely different on every level from one another. First mega man game i played was the original back in 89', followed by 2 which was absolutely amazing during it's time. :* One cannot fully appreciate MM2 unless he or she played it during it's launch. that was one of the many NES games that blew my pixels!

Rief

Rief said:

I don't really like this style for gameplay. If it were in "cutscenes", it would be wonderful, but playing like this, it's just not mine. It also looks pretty boring to me.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@Sony_70

No, no exactly. What I meant was with a platformer like Mario, if you're powered up and you fall down a hole at the end of a level, You have to replay the whole level, plus you lose a life, plus you lose your power up. In Rayman if you die in a level, it pops you back at a way point not far away, and if you had an extra heart, you get it back. It's only a slight difference, but it takes a little bit of achievement away.

Also in Assassin's Creed, I could help but feel that in fights, there wasn't that satisfaction of landing a blow in a game like say, Arkham or Darksiders. I could say the same thing about climbing or running, the actions just felt unnatural.

It may just be a personal opinion, but it makes me feel like UBIsoft games aren't for me.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Really looking forward to this, but I still don't get why that other UbiArt title won't come to Wii U. Valiant Hearts I believe it's called, and it looks as if it could easily become one of my favourite games ever. Unless they decide to skip my favourite home console indeed.

Mayleene

Mayleene said:

So glad to be part of the Nintendo Wii U Family. Is there a release date yet?