Video: Nintendo Unleashes New The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds TV Commercials

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

UK and Nintendo of America release contrasting efforts

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is surprisingly close to release, arriving in North America and Europe on 22nd November. While a number of dedicated Zelda fans have probably already decided to put down the cash, Nintendo is continuing its marketing offensive to hype the game; we've had online trailers and interviews, but TV adverts are now making an appearance.

Both Nintendo UK and Nintendo of America have published their efforts, and they show an interesting difference in tactics. NoA has continued the live-action approach so familiar in the adverts for games such as Pikmin 3 and Pokémon X & Y, while the trailer posted on Nintendo UK's YouTube channel has a voice-over along with plenty of game footage.

You can check them both out below — which do you prefer?

Nintendo of America:

Nintendo UK:

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I like both commercials but I have to give the nod to the UK version. More gameplay and I enjoy that in advertising......weird that I've seen a lot of TV ads lately for a couple of new consoles with no gameplay footage.....I wonder why?

idork99

idork99 said:

I feel like a ten year old again watching these commercials. I can't wait.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

more commercials needed for wii u come on Nintendo keep up with the times as u know things are going to sink we all know 3ds is doing well

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I like both, but I prefer the fancy effects of the American one. It reminds me of the retro pre-Wii commercials.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

Saw the US one on Spike TV yesterday during an episode of 'Cops'. The first Nintendo commercial I have seen on television since probably February, and the first time I've seen one on a channel that caters to young males/men.

I dig the retro vibe...kind of reminds me of this one

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

I prefer the American version. It has that early 2000's feel to it. That whacky, charming and imaginative tone to it. It shows the games best quality: immersion. And that is the message that speaks best to the common gamer.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I like them both. Glad to see Nintendo is putting some marketing dollars behind this game!

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Both are cool but the winner for me is the NA version just because more effort has been put into it!

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

COME ON Wii U!! Pokemon X and Y are selling by themselves, So why support the 3DS even more while The Wii U barley has any commercials other than Mario?

mostro328

mostro328 said:

@Gerbwmu omg I've been saying the exact thing to my wife, the killzone commercial is all live action, i played knack for ps4 and sad to say I've seen better games graphically on ps3, other ps4 consul commercials live action and the one x1 commercial I've seen live action

mostro328

mostro328 said:

Wiiu definitely needs more commercials and like gt said enough with the families on the couch focus on the game and the system

paburrows

paburrows said:

I like both commercials the American one reminds me of the type of NES commercials they made back in the 80's and the UK one showed more of the actual game. I noticed the final scene in the USA one showed a boss that I haven't seen yet.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

The American one wins over the UK one in my opinion. I liked the nostalgic old-school feeling of the US commercial. The UK one is nice too though.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Both are good, but the UK one shows more game footage indeed. It also shows that gorgeous LoZ 3DS XL...

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I like the NA commercial better, but it should have showed off the gold 3DS XL. -sighs- Nintendo always miss something important.......good commercial tho for both

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

The NA commercial look nice, though I don't like how they use a white kid to do the live action play. Would had been better if they made him look more like an elf.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I hate the American one. (Rather just have the footage. Let people decide whether they want it or not by that no scummy tactics)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Since we're talking Zelda commercials, I'll just leave this here... First one I ever saw, before I even got an NES!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The American one looks like something out of the gameshow Nightmare.

Advertising really is the purest representation of everything wrong with the world.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

UK commercial is slightly better, shows more gameplay which is always a plus and I'm not to keen on the live action on the US, even though the US version has a better/more epic voice over.

Neram

Neram said:

"Only available on Nintendo 3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL, but not DS, DSi, or DSi XL.. Hope you got that..."

RR529

RR529 said:

Yep, saw the American one TWICE last night during South Park.

Nintendo must put a lot of advertising into Comedy Central, because I always see at least one Nintendo commercial every time I turn it there (also see the occasional one on Adult Swim).

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I kind of wish the American one didn't start with the flatten-against-the-wall ability as it looks kinda simple where the other effects are kind of fun. The UK one looks like an online ad usually targeted at core gamers who seek this stuff out on the internet. Not sure what that means, but I like seeing the gameplay footage myself.

The original Zelda TV ad is classic. It was ridiculous and odd even then but it was SO memorable. The only problem is it just doesn't match the game very well in retrospect.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Both well done. Should air both in both regions to maximize audience penetration imo.

Henmii

Henmii said:

The American one is cool, but doesn't show much gameplay! The uk one has lots of gameplay, but a corny voice-over! I would say: Remove the uk voice-over, and we have 2 pretty nice commercials!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I will always prefer the one that shows of gameplay over dumb live-action segments that make the game seem cheesy.

donkeykong64

donkeykong64 said:

The first one. Just preordered the 3ds link between worlds bundle. It's about time I hopped on the 3ds train.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

no dungeon you cant solve? thats not what i like to hear, it seems like all the challenge in this game may be saved for challenge mode, i hope its more than just stronger enemies, i am always a fan of a challenging puzzle

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

UK is more spoilery, so I like the USA one. shows main new mechanic and the gameplay as well as draws the viewer in with a cheesy live action reenactment

Darthziggy

Darthziggy said:

Anyone else notice Blind at the end of the NA commercial? Between that and the Moldorm I'm wondering how many bad guys are going to be reappearing. Though I do love LTTP so it's not really a bad thing.

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

HEY GUYS!!!

Game Informer reviewed this game and gave is 10/10 rupees! ;p Google it! They praised the game all around from the tricky puzzles to boss battles. :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Preferred the UK one. Actually showing gameplay and not rushing it to the end just to see some teen go Indiana Jones on some ruin? Yes please.