Video: Check Out This Puyo Puyo Tetris Trailer and Dream of Localisation

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We may be lucky, right?

A little while ago we told you about Puyo Puyo Tetris, which is exactly what it sounds like. It's a puzzle mashup that dreams are made of courtesy of SEGA, and arrives on Wii U and 3DS in Japan on 6th February 2014.

Sadly there's been no hint of localisation yet, though we certainly hold out hope that, at the very least, there's a possibility that the title could come to the West — perhaps in download form. The idea of multiplayer that switches out the two puzzle disciplines sounds like the perfect test of puzzling skill, and we'd like to think there's an audience for the title outside of Japan.

While we await potential localisation news we can live through Japanese marketing, however, with the latest trailer below for your enjoyment. It's excitable and full of colour, which works for us, so check it out and let us know what you think.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Ukee

Ukee said:

Well, seeing as it is in the hands of SEGA I guess that means we will never get to play it.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I hope it gets localized, but at least we can import the PS3 and Vita versions if it doesn't.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Seeing as I have never heard of Puyo Puyo before... it leads me to believe that it's a "Japan Thing"...

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Puyo Puyo is known here as Kirby's Ghost Trap (SNES) and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Mega Drive).

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I'm sure there is a chance. Puyo Puyo has been released here on GBA before. Maybe DS, but I'm not fully positive. Either way, I would beyond love for this game to be released here.

Nintendojuenger

Nintendojuenger said:

it's more like "Puyo Puyo & Tetris".... a little disappointing, that there isn't yet a creative crossover-mode

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

We never got the 20th anny....why would we get this? Cause tetris is in it?......don't get my wrong I love puyo puyo.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It would have more awareness if it was just originally sold as Puyo Puyo.

(I really wish you could get the last one that had one of those SLS Saturn Controllers with it. Be perfect for Sega/TG16 VC if they made it support the Wii U.)

yojo

yojo said:

Thank god I just got a Japanese 3DS (The Monster Hunter 4 LL, XD), or I would be sooooooo tempted to get one. This game looks fantastic!

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

i love tetris, and am not really a fan of puyo puyo (who new that what it was called) so i will personally stick to tetris axis

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

As long as this has local multiplayer, I'm more than happy to throw my money at them even if it has to be in the eShop :D

Tetris and Puyo Pop have had a number of games released here, so why not this one? I think there's hope.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

There's
Puyo Pop on Neo Geo Pocket
Puyo Pop on the GBA
Puyo Pop Fever for the DS
Puyo Pop Fever for the GBA(Europe Only)
Puyo Pop Fever on Gamecube.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm thinking cross-border release because of Tetris more than Puyo Puyo; the GBA game was pretty cool though.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Gamers vs Nintendo Co., Ltd 'region-locking' trial; exhibit no. 6456: Puyo Puyo Tetris.

eza

eza said:

From the trailer it looks like you swap between Tetris and Puyo Puyo, rather than it being a "mash-up" of the two.

The problem with Puyo Puyo is that it take no skill to beat your opponent:
You just have to fill up your side of the screen as quickly as possible.
Fill up the left and right sides first.
Don't bother trying to match anything.
Before long, you'll get a crazy long chain combo that will destroy the other player.
Repeat until you beat every level and never want to play it again.

Super Puzzle Fighter was exactly the same.

What I would like to see a 3DS version of is Meteos. Played that to death on the DS. In fact I played it so much that the cartridge isn't recognised any more :-(

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I do so love Puyo Pop, and I've played a lot of Tetris in my day, but this mashup makes absolutely no sense, to me.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

If I wanna play puyo puyo I'll stick to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and if I wanna play Tetris.. I'd rather play Puyo Puyo, so Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine again or Pokemon Puzzle League if I feel particulary maveric.