Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

So long teens, hello more awesome games

It's finally happened, the WGAYPTW series has left its teens, and the emotional crisis it prompted led to it missing its normal schedule — that's right, it was nothing to do with the features editor forgetting to organise it, no way.

But it's fine, this little series of game-related tittle-tattle is ready to take on a new generation — seriously, everyone stop saying next-gen now, it's annoying — and talk about weekend gaming plans that could run the gamut of up to six home consoles, bearing in mind many are still rocking last-gen hardware. And then there's the 3DS and, for super-enthusiastic money-bags out there, a Vita. So many games, so many systems, yet as expected many of us still find ourselves playing systems by Nintendo. As NoA's marketing quite rightly puts it — "because it's Nintendo".

Anyhoo, this pre-amble has hit its obligatory intro-length, so let's get on with listing games we plan to play.

Tom Whitehead

I've played a ridiculous amount of Super Mario 3D World because I've had to, and I realise that makes me very lucky indeed; yet despite that I'm still playing in spells pretty much every day, and just before I typed this I found a green star that had eluded me for a long time. I'm not going to lie, it brought a big cheesy grin to my face, and my quest to 100% this game without resorting to walkthroughs continues.

Aside from Mario, I have opinions to write for Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre and 3D Super Hang-On, but when I'm not playing them I plan to continue dabbling with the brilliant Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut. My main game right now, however, is The Last of Us, which I'm now playing for realsies — I restarted and have committed myself to playing it all the way through. It's amazing and shaping up to be my second favourite home console game of the year. The game in first place has 3D in the title...

Martin Watts

As expected, my weekend is going to consist mostly of Super Mario 3D World. It's the multiplayer mode that I find most appealing, and I'm looking forward to working with my girlfriend to find all the secrets...well, provided she doesn't throw my character off the edge that is!

Orla Madden

Unfortunately, like most of the Nintendo community, I won't be diving into Super Mario 3D World, I have to grab all my willpower and hold it out until Christmas to grab the game. So this weekend, I'll be focusing all my attention on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I've successfully made it Lorule and completed Swamp Palace, my second dungeon to tackle in the region. The game is superb, such a fantastic new entry to the series. I adore the game's soundtrack, and I look forward to hearing more of it over the weekend.

Ron DelVillano

I'm going to spend this weekend playing (and hopefully finally finishing) Pokemon Y. I've absolutely loved it so far, but I haven't had the time that I wanted to invest into it until now.

If I do finish Pokemon, then I'm going to treat myself to The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Unsurprisingly, as a Nintendo fan I am also a huge fan of the Zelda series and I'm really excited to dig into the new one!

Morgan Sleeper

It's going to be a busy weekend for me, but - like many fellow Nintendo Lifers, I suspect - I'll be making time for at least one game: Super Mario 3D World! I've played through the first few worlds and I've had a smile stuck on my face for the whole time; it's an absolute joyride and stands right up there with Galaxy as my favourite Mario since the Super Nintendo days! The level design is so creative, the soundtrack's incredible, and catsuit Peach is by far the best playable Mario character ever. Now I just can't wait to try it in co-op!

Conor McMahon

It goes without saying, but my weekend is set to involve a whole lot of Super Mario 3D World. I've managed to last the extra week's wait without any major spoilers, so I'm excited to play through a good chunk of it with a group of friends. Local multiplayer is at its best on Wii U, and the four of us have just finished up with Rayman Legends so it's the perfect timing. Maybe we're just overly aggressive and ridiculously Irish, but the 'Kung Foot' mini-game is practically a bad word for us by now. Those wobbly football physics have caused more fights than I care to mention.

I'll also be continuing on with Papers Please on PC. It's a magnificently grim little indie game that can best be described as a bureaucracy simulator set in a fictional country twisted by Communism. Sound fun? Well it is! You take on the role of border patrol and have to battle with your morals to decide who's allowed in or not. Deciding between feeding your family or allowing a husband and wife to stay together in transit has never been more addictive!

Lewis Childs

I think it’s safe to say that I’m going to be in the majority here. Yep, Super Mario 3D World! Expecting something in a similar vein to the Galaxy series, which were my favourite games of the last generation, I was initially underwhelmed by the E3 announcement of SM3DW. Since then though, the trailers, gameplay videos, THAT soundtrack, and last week’s onslaught of positive reviews, have sent my hype levels through the roof. I’m really looking forward to roping my non-gamer girlfriend into SM3DW’s multiplayer – although she doesn't know it yet!

Christopher Constabile

I'm still working my way through A Link Between Worlds, and I am loving every minute of it. A Link to the Past is my favourite Zelda title, and ALBW retains just the right amount of its predecessor to make it a huge nostalgia trip while still managing to qualify as a brand new game. The new dungeons are fantastic, and I really like the new item rental/purchase system much better than I thought I would. It truly deserves all of the praise it's getting.

ALBW is a pretty emotionally and intellectually engaging experience though, so lately when I'm looking to relax a bit, I fire up a game of Pushmo, which has some interesting puzzles. I'm nearing completion on that one though, and when I finish it I will probably scour the 3DS eShop to find some other little gem like that with which to bide my time when I'm not looking for something terribly serious. I hope to get in some quality gaming time with both of these this weekend!

Liam Doolan

This weekend I’ll be taking on the role of a young hero who wears a green tunic - and to the horror of his fellow villagers – enjoys smashing pots and slashing wild pigs with his sword. I’ll also spend much of my time exploring dungeons, fighting off nasty enemies, defeating evil, and sailing across the Great Sea in the King of Red Lions.

Yes, the truth is, I haven’t finished The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD yet. I sort of got side-tracked with Pokémon X and Y, and this followed with a bit of a workout in Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U. And now the holiday season has arrived with the releases of A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World.

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

So that's what we'll be playing over the weekend; how about you?

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

I'm going to be playing A Link Between Worlds, even though I've already finished it. Hero mode here I come!

Emblem

Emblem said:

We picked up Mario 3D yesterday but after a few hours with it i can say its not the game for us, which is unfortunate as i was looking forward to another good multiplayer game. I'll be playing some Pikmin co-op, Bravely Default demo, Some GW2 WVW and whatever i pick up in the Steam sale.

rjejr

rjejr said:

W101.

I would be playing LBP Karting but Sony's Redeem Code function is still down. *$&%^

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Finishing up Project X Zone. Then some Zelda Link Between Worlds and the 2nd playthru of Windwaker HD while I watch some flakes fall. Online Wii U Bowling will make its way into the weekends rotation too.

Anclation

Anclation said:

I'm playing A Link Between Worlds (Super Mario 3D World is actually sold out were I live), I've already finished the game once, but now I'm playing through it again on Hero Mode.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Going to keep playing Super Mario 3D World definitely, but it's kinda scary how easy it is, guess I'll have to challenge myself to a 'no death' runthrough or something. I haven't beaten the game yet though I feel like I'm getting close, I'm up to World 6 & I just got the game yesterday. I guess I'll just let myself beat it & see what post-game content there is. Also I'll aim to finish LoZ: ALBW too. & then I think I'll go back to my backlog after that. Good times, good times :)

MAB

MAB said:

Obviously nothing with Mario or Zelda in the title... I will be waggling analog sticks and mashing buttons on Space Harrier and Super Hang On 3D, Deus Ex, Assassins Creed and casually walk my way along the secret path towards the Cities of Gold ;)

Untitled
Yeah, I know I'm awesome

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I marathoned 3D World yesterday to Rosalina and saving the rest of the game for after Christmas. Maybe I'll play some Nintendo Land since last year on this day, I got my Wii U, and that was the first Wii U game I had ever played. (Besides the New Super Mario Bros. U demo at Old Navy at 2:00 AM on Black Friday 2012)

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

maybe Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, maybe Fire Emblem Awakening, maybe any other game I have... I don't feel like gaming right now. I have to get stronger

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I think I'm going to restart Earthbound (and try to get everything this time..) and I'm still playing AC III. 3D World has to wait until Christmas and the waiting kills me :0

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Finishing up 3d world. The familys aready on the last world. Im in collector mode right behind them. Stamps are awesome! And maybe some more Pikmin MModes...

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

Persona 3 on the Vita, like I've been playing all week. And possibly some Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

• link between worlds (just completed the ice temple)
  • Pokemon X (IV breeding and EV training, to get super strong pokemon for online battles)
  • And Animal Crossing: New leaf (just casually playing it, catching the November fish and making sure any of my cat villagers don't move out lol)
ToniK

ToniK said:

I'm really close to the end of Deus Ex and Darksiders 2 will be next. Also ordered Splinter Cell. All of them on Wii U obviously. At least I'm not the one to blame for the lack of third party support ;)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'm planning on buying Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag this weekend, but I won't play it for a while. These days, it's all about Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for me.

Portista

Portista said:

Black Ops 2. I'll be trying to get some gold skins. And then maybe some tLoZ WW, haven't finished that yet.

Benjerocks

Benjerocks said:

I have to wait for the end of Chanukah for A Link Between Worlds, and Christmas for SM3DW, but this weekend I plan to complete more Wind Waker HD (I haven't gotten to play it much recently, so it's still uncompleted), which is shaping up to be my new favorite Zelda! I'm also going back and doing a "my favorite Wii games marathon," in which I play a lot of the two Mario Galaxies and Skyward Sword. Fun fun :)

MasterChordles

MasterChordles said:

Rayman legends and animal crossing. The latter pulled me back into it after I played on thanksgiving, and my town wasn't that great looking... I've been working on cleaning it up

Gamer846

Gamer846 said:

Im gonna be leveling up and super training my female froakie with protean as its ability. ^w^

Benjerocks

Benjerocks said:

Yeah those three games are amazing, along with DKCR, but I still need to get my hands on the Wii games I never picked up like Metroid Prime Trilogy from GameStop and Twilight Princess (I've been avoiding the latter because I really disliked it when I first played it :/ ) @Portista

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Playing Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X & Y and maybe some Dark moon. I have to share my XL with my son because his XL touch screen is broken. Also playing Animal Crossing New Leaf.

anders190

anders190 said:

Super Mario 3D World, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Battlefield 4 on the PC for me.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

My son and I are almost close to unlocking the special world in 3D World.

But as for me im juggling Wonderful 101 at home and A Link Between Worlds when im out or have sum downtime at work…but i must admit Beyond Two Souls is calling my name!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

• Guild Wars 2 - (as always!) The new Fractured! update will keep me busy for awhile
  • Pokemon Y - I'm finally getting into IV breeding, and it's taking longer then expected
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf - (Maybe) I've been meaning to get back into this one for awhile now.
  • Terraria - (Maybe) Just to get me in the mood for Starbound, which, by the way, BETA COMES OUT ON WEDNESDAY!!!
KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

gonna start Link Between world Heroic Mode and play Super Mario 3d World with friends. i luv those games :)

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I'll be switching from Monster Hunter Tri U, LoZ:ALBW, and Rune Factory. Can anyone tell me if LoZ:ALBW gets any harder? I've already have the first sage and it doesn't seem too challenging.

Link41x

Link41x said:

Mostly rotating between:
Star Wars: Battlefront II on Xbox
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 on PS3
GoldenEye 007 on N64
^My brothers are up visiting, so it's time for some multiplayer!

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

Etrian odyssey Untold and EOIV as well. Bout to get my hands on A Link Between worlds right now.

ravj17

ravj17 said:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. My whole attention is focused in that game.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Iam not playing Mario 3D world i pre-ordered from game.com for the limited edition with sleeve and keyring only tobe sent standard edition and charged 44.99 only to look at there site today its 42.99.
Got to send mario back and get a refund i ordered a new one hopeing it comes with extras.
i am very angry at game.com not only did mario come a day late but with no pre-order bonus.
i am only useing them now for forced exclusives.

so basicly its gta-v on ps3 this weekend thanks to game screwing up my order grrrrrrrrr

OptimisticLink

OptimisticLink said:

I'm out of town over the weekend, so I'm limited to my 3DS now. I'll be playing Pokemon X (currently preparing my team for the Elite Four), and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

YukiViolet

YukiViolet said:

I'm playing some New Super Mario Bros U with my gf on our new Wii U we got this week. I'm also playing Super Luigi U, Castlevania IV and Eternal Sonata. Good weekend. x)

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

Right now I'm playing Pokemon X, Senran Kagura Burst, and Mario 3D World.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Super Mario 3D World, mainly. I've been hooked since the first day I've had it!

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

@Luna-Harmony I've struggled to get the pre-order bonuses too. It seems like a lot of stores didn't get a shipment of the bonuses until this morning. According to a member of staff in Game yesterday, 'the PS4 launch has messed everything up'.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'll be playing some Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I also plan on starting another run in Super Mario 3D World, this time with Toad or Peach, not sure. I'm also restarting Persona 4 Golden. I just feel lucky to be playing some great games, perhaps some of the best ever made, right now. I might play a few levels in The Wonderful 101 as well.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I have an inkling that I'll be receiving A Link Between Worlds for xmas, so I'm tiding myself with the 3DS Ocarina Of Time. Hadn't played it yet and spent the last 2 days getting up through the Forest Temple. I'm in love.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Pokemon Y: about to get the 8th badge! ;-)
Super Mario 3D Land: decided to wait on World, so going through this again :-)
Batman Arkham City:doing alot of side missions,will probably get it done...maybe?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, of course Mario 3D World. I am trying to beat the special worlds, and they are brutal when you are trying to get all three stars per stage. I hope that those people who doubt this game's challenge get pummeled in those, so as they originally doubted the game at E3 they regret having done so.

When not playing Mario, I will continue with Lego City, Code of Princess and maybe Pokémon White 2.

Frapp

Frapp said:

Today, have been finishing a replay of Need For Speed On Wii U and just started a new save on Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 which is, for me, by far the best game on the console. I've been cleaning up my old Spectrum also, so tomorrow I'll be giving a few games a tryout and hope either the originals or the backups still load.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

The basics: The new Zelda and Mario games. I'm loving both of them. 3D World especially. That game looked so boring when it first was revealed. I never thought it would exceed my expectations like it did.

But I want to finish up Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3 before Infocus my attention on Zelda. Not sure how much I have left. Might also play some Grand Theft Auto V Online with my friend tonight.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Frapp Valkyria Chronicles was my first and still fav PS3 game after all these years. Truly a game that showed a different type of gameplay not available anywhere else. Shame it bombed forcing the sequels to PSP.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Just finish Rayman Legends main story - a pretty good game although it is easier than Rayman Origins. I just purchased and finished Angry Video Game Nerd Adventure and it was a pretty amazing game. I also purchased Runners 2 and Mutant Mudd Deluxe are both games are only okay... Gotta finish getting all red rings in Sonic the Lost World too!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Going to playing some A Link Between Worlds (If I can get my copy from my son) some Contrast on PS4 and maybe some World of Warcraft.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Still SM3DW. I can't get enough of this game since I've got it 3 days ago. Probably SimCity and BF4 too

Red_XIII

Red_XIII said:

A link between worlds, gone home, the Stanley parable, Assassins creed 2, call of Juarez: Gunslinger

InsertTokenz

InsertTokenz said:

I'm trying to finish up Mario & Luigi: Dream Team now with the hopes of moving on to The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds which I got in the mail yesterday. Since my copy of Super Mario 3D World hasn't arrived yet, I might play some Super Mario 3D Land instead, or possibly Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island on my SNES. And my usual playthrough spurts of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. :)

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

My fiance and I are still plugging away at Super Mario 3D World, and I am also playing some Pikmin 3, kind of forgot about it with the past couple months of great games, but I am glad to be playing it again!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

A Link Between Worlds is nearly beaten, and I've been playing 3D Space Harrier and Crimson Shroud, on the side. And Monster Hunter, of course.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Got to wait till Xmas for 3d world so will get the last 9 teensies I need to finnish rayman legends and carry on with the so far excellent deus ex....

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

A link between worlds. I'll pick it up in a couple of hours. I hope it doesn't dissapoints like the awful DS ones.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I'm jealous of you guys that are playing Super Mario 3D World and Wonderful 101...

I'll be playing Contra 4, Contra 3 (with my brother!), Ninja Gaiden (this one is killing me!), and of course A Link Between Worlds. I have three Lorule dungeons left to complete. I'm also playing back through Skyward Sword. Oh and I really like 3D Super Hang On! It's fast fast FAST!

@minotaurgamer I actually really liked those, but I can see where the controls can be a turn off. :)

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

New Zelda! Got it day of release but haven't had much chance to play it yet. Ordered a Wii U yesterday so gotta play LBW now before it arrives and 3D World dominates in my house!

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I just finished up Sonic CD, so I guess I'll be playing Wario Land: Shake It!, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Mega Man 4. Mega Man Zero 3 and the Wonderful 101 are also likely candidates.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

Still on WWHD. No new games until my son gets Skylanders SF, and hopefully fingers crossed my wife gets me SM3DW! (gods know i've been dropping hints like theres no tomorrow)

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

WiiU: Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, Call of Duty Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4

3DS: Zelda Link Between Worlds, Rune Factory 4, Animal Crossing, and some Pokemon X/Y (Post-game X stuff; playing story of Y). Actually played Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for awhile earlier and Mario Kart 7 multiplayer with the nephews!

S20TEW

S20TEW said:

@sinalefa least u got ur game mine still not here gutted like btw they have sent bonus separate so the game came on time u should get bonus thru week thoght I better say before u spend more money pal I'm glad u got game even tho day late I was hoping since it didn't come on relase I'd get it on sat but nothing came but they confirmed that it was sent and bonuses shipped separate all coz ps4 we shouldent loose out coz ps launch it sucks lol hope iv helped save u reordering :)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@S20TEW

Sorry to hear that. Actually I downloaded Mario from the eShop because I did not want to wait at all.

@MJKOP

Another Wii U owner! Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I have never played Super Smash Bros. Brawl so much in my life! It feels like I just got the game, except I have had it since day 1.
Now that is what makes a video game great! When you can go back and replay this many years later and it never gets old.

S20TEW

S20TEW said:

@sinalefa no prob I thought I'd better say seen as game told me still annoyed but this is the first time they have let me down normally they send them a day early lol but this has made me worry and thinking bout using amazon from now as they are cheaper only use game for bonus items that's why il pay a little extra ps4 going 2 loose them a lot of costom after this weekend and a lot of mix ups :(

banacheck

banacheck said:

I've been playing Killzone Shadow Fall & Resogun and will be playing these over the weekend, i've still not touched AC4 or BF4 as i want to finish Killzone4 first.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

Unfortunately I won't be Playing SM3DW, OR ALBW (Sad? I know.) However my Birthday is on Tuesday so I will hopefully be getting my hands on them. Instead I'm playing more Pokémon Y, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I'll be trying to cure my town of the weed onslaught in Animal Crossing: New Leaf after my one month absence.

kupo

kupo said:

@banacheck
Hey, this is a Nintendo site, so you should be listing Nintendo-console games! On that note, I've been playing Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun too, as well as Metro: Last Light on PC and...waitaminute...whoops...

Edit: if you haven't opened BF4 yet, you should consider returning it. It's rightfully earning a reputation as crash-infested trash.

seronja

seronja said:

the last of us for ps3, guacameele! for ps vita & metroid 2 from the 3DS virtual console.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I've a backlog of games to play. I'm finally going to complete Skyward Sword after 60 plus hours of gameplay. I've also started playing Super Mario 64 and this time I'll be going for 120 stars.

Some of the comments here have me a bit worried. I haven't got Super mario 3D world yet, I'm worried about people being able to complete it in a couple of days and claims it's to easy. If Nintendo have made it easy I'll be very disappointed.

jenisnape

jenisnape said:

I am so behind in my gaming. I hope to finish Pokemon X today or continue in Luigi's Mansion...then I may buy ALBW or SM3DW. Also just because it was mentioned: Papers, Please is an amazing game! I've only tried the demo on their site, but I plan on picking it up asap! :)

thanos316

thanos316 said:

legend of zelda link between worlds. sf4 3ds. pes 2012 wii... yea still rocking that game

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

I finished Link Between Worlds the other day and I've been spending the weekend getting all the things I've missed before I start Hero Mode, in between that I'l be on Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I just have to bide my time with Monster Hunter and Rayman until christmas :( then comes 3D World and Pokemon!!!

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Finished Link between worlds on 3DS, Call of Duty Ghosts on Wii U and Lollypop Chainsaw on PS3. Started Super Mario 3D World today!

Balaclavab

Balaclavab said:

Finally got me my 100 Ranked Wins on Street Fighter 2 THDR, also a bit of A Link Between Worlds and Battlefield 4

Noboty

Noboty said:

Trying to burn through The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks so I can get to A Link between worlds, but I can't always force myself to play it.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Ended up playing a lot of Skylanders Swap Force with my son on top of everything else I listed above! Sad that the weekend break is over!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@GreatPlayer I am not getting much out of Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. Feel like every time I am getting it by luck. The checkpoints are too close together for the amount of hits you can take. (What it suggests in the description is the opposite of what I am getting which is I am progressing but not getting better at playing it that much).

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@unrandomsam I think I know what you are saying. But at least I believe it is at the same level of difficulty of Super Contra in NES. The way to be good at these games is ... practice, practice, and practice. I like Cloudberry Kingdom (which is even more ridiculous than AVGN Adventures in terms of difficulty). AVGN elements are mostly replica of old platforming elements in NES games, and so things are mostly familiar to me in that game. My taste is hardcore gaming.

I finished AVGN within 2-3 hours. It is a fun game and I may even try higher difficulty level.