Take A Look At The Red Steel 2 We Never Got To Play

Posted by Damien McFerran

Leaked production screens show a different style

Red Steel was Ubisoft's big Wii launch title many years ago, and despite its cool visuals, it didn't quite get the gameplay right. Ubisoft atoned for its sins to a certain extent with Red Steel 2, but the game was almost unrecognisable thanks to a totally different "Samurai Western" setting.

However, prior to the release of the sequel Ubisoft was working on a different title which bore more of a resemblance to the original. According to a poster on Neogaf, the game was cancelled around 2007 or 2008, didn't boast Wii Motion Plus support (because the add-on wasn't available at that time) and featured online multiplayer.

Take a look at the pre-production renders below and be sure to let us know what you think. Would you have liked to have seen Ubisoft take another shot at making a better Red Steel, or were you happy with the drastically different sequel we eventually got?

[via neogaf.com]

erv

erv said:

I liked red steel 2 a lot. It had the right atmosphere too, so... they did great, really.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Red Steel 2 was a great game and I did kind of like the aesthetic, despite being neither a Western or Sci-Fi fan.

I'd love them to do a similar thing in Feudal Japan though. Never going to happen, but still...

Worthy

Worthy said:

Why are they showing this now? Is this Ubisofts way of saying "look at what you've could have won?"

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Nintenjoe64
Haha! Thanks for the video link... I've worked the luge into my regular routine the last three days but a) couldn't get the hang of the arm-swinging thing (I was rocking backwards and forwards too) and b) I somehow never noticed that I was allowed to hold the edges of the board. Having been working out like that though, I think I'll continue to punish my abs and keep my arms folded in front of me.

Enjoying Wii Fit U a lot. Never thought this would be the game in which they'd finally implement the much discussed two-wiimote control system. Having done that though I'm even more amazed that it's not an option for the boxing.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

I agree with others.....Red Steel 2 was great in its own right and the unique style and art direction should be left as they are....,thinking the same thing though which is why not Red Steele 3 on WiiU.

Savino

Savino said:

Great game! One of the best shoot' n Slash of all time!! (Well, I guess it is the only one but you got the point here!)

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

Really liked Red Steel 2, on second playthrough so must be good. The first one, I could not get along with though.........had something missing and a few annoying things in gameplay

jord91

jord91 said:

No one brought red still 2 it went strait into the bargain bins from what i saw and the wii had a massive intall base when it was released, another one on wii u at this point would be suicidal

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I purchased both Red Steels and they were both very disappointing.

At the core of the problems, the accuracy with aiming with your Wii Mote just wasn't accurate enough, and the sword play was equally as inaccurate, which was especially annoying when facing bosses which required you to attack and react in certain ways, you could know what to do, and have the reactions for it, but the response from the controls just wasn't accurate enough to allow you to do it.

Other problems included the story which in both games was bad, worse in the 2nd one.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

I liked Redsteel but the visual style of 2 really put me off, i think those screen shots look pretty good for the wii

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really liked Red Steel. It did so much right. The game show/fun house section was fantastic. The whole game embraced the B movie narrative so completely. I also liked Red Steel 2, but I would have happily had something closer to the original as well.

santaglause

santaglause said:

@jord91
That's true, but i got it first day full price! its sad cause the Wii owners could have made it a hit but no one bought it, plus when i looked online it was being downloaded by the 1000's, i also heard that this and house of the dead overkill could have sold over a million each going by the figures of illegal downloads.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

2 was great as it was. Great style and the controls worked as they should have in one. No new game plus was a big mistake though.

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

I'm still hoping I would get my hands on a copy of Red Steel 2 eventually. I still find them on the shelves apparently. Could an awesome game really have been that ignored during its early days? I wonder what are chances I got into finding a brand new copy of the first Red Steel game.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Red Steel 2 is one of my favorite games on the Wii, therefore I'm not sad that they cancelled this in favor of the game eventually released. However, I liked much of the original Red Steel too, the setting in especial, and I was always thinking that a sequel just needed some minor improvements in order to become a truly great game. I would have liked to re-visit that world too. So while preferring the actual RS2 over this cancelled version, I would have been most happy if they had released both – a thing that doesn't seem impossible to me, considering how much later than the original RS2 came to stores. An earlier sequel with less dramatic changes had certainly increased franchise awareness and the franchise may still be around. On the other hand, if a second installment in the fashion of the cancelled version had been a flop in terms of sales, like the actual RS2 was, we had perhaps never got to play the latter and thus missed a most amazing game.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I got Red Steel 2 with the motion plus, the controls were awesome but the characters, story and voice acting were so uninspired I completely forget about it until I saw this.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I am happy with the style of Red Steel 2 we got. Definitely one of the best games on the Wii. And I enjoyed the motion controls better than Skyward Sword.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Red Steel 2 was great so, no, I don't miss this version. What I miss is the announcement of Red Steel 3.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I was disappointed with the first and never gotthe second. I still ccan't be bothered even if I could find it for $5.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I wouldn't trade RS2's visual style for the world, I loved it. And it had the coolest lead character of any game. I just wish the game had been longer. That online mode would have been nice too.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@HopeNForever By the time Red Steel 2 was released, the hacking of a Wii was so simple every person that owned one was doing it. The game was downloaded millions of times, but why would people pay for something they can get for free? The problem with the piracy epidemic that swept over the Wii in it's latter days is the lack of sales by games deserving of those sales, due in no small part to the ease of hacking/modding the console! Nintendo dropped the ball on good antiPiracy software and the consumers dropped the ball by cheating themselves out of a sequel to a good game, by not paying for it and instead ripping it off of the internet. I think a lot of devs saw this issue with the Wii and that could have played a large part into why 3rd parties are leary of the Wii U. They were afraid the security gaps wouldn't be successfully plugged by Nintendo on the Wii U and so they weren't willing to risk the possible loss of sales due to piracy. The Wii or Virtual Wii gaps are still wide open, but as far as piracy on the Wii U side of the OS, Nintendo seems to be doing a pretty good job. It's a shame that it can all be ruined by so few.