StreetPass Relay Point Improvements and Free SpotPass Content Announced

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rack up those hits

While not necessarily the biggest news to come out of today's Nintendo Direct broadcasts, there have been updates on the StreetPass Relay service that utilises Wi-Fi hotspots to give 3DS owners much needed hits. In Europe it's been confirmed that, as of 14th November, relay points around the region will begin to provide the last six hits accumulated, as opposed to one; this update was previously applied in North America.

Nintendo of America has also revealed what free in-game goodies will be distributed over SpotPass in Nintendo Zone areas over the coming weeks — details are below:

• An Animal Crossing: New Leaf raccoon wall clock is available until Nov. 14.
  • An Animal Crossing: New Leaf cat tower available Nov. 15-28.
  • An Animal Crossing: New Leaf rolling suitcase available Nov. 29-Dec. 12.
  • A Super Mario 3D Land Mystery Box starting Nov. 22.

Have you had much luck with the StreetPass Relay points in recent months, and do you think the upgrade will benefit you much? Let us know in the comments below.

timp29

timp29 said:

Would love some of these in Australia, specifically in capital cities (outside of Melbourne). If you read this Nintendo (of Australia), make it happen!

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

I used to get a streetpass hit every couple of months or so. Since the streetpass relay thing was brought in I've had loads of hits. It's a massive change for me. It means I have plenty of animal crossing hha model homes and can actually get somewhere on the streetpass games finally.

Ras

Ras said:

As someone pointed out in the forums, Home Depot is a hotbed of streetpass activity. You can get six to ten, and more if you Home Depot hop. But, remember that you have to let ten in before ten more can be in your plaza.

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

No wifi hotspot along my commutings so the homepass is the best solution for me !
France is missing some Nintendo hotspot in countryside !

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

Well, this is good news for me, since our household has 5 3DS consoles. So at least the odds of all of us streetpassing has gone up. The downside is, I've visited 3 MacDonalds restaurants in my area since the relays were launched, and none of them seem to give me any hits.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

In Finland it's at least Hesburger, McDonalds, Subway and possibly something else that has these.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

HUZZAH!! Well this answers my old question about whether the streetpass relay update was live for Europe. Looking forward to getting more hits!

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Excellent news, I always get a few wandering round Debehams, Argos, Costa and McDonalds in Walsall, might get a few more now!

shaggyc

shaggyc said:

When I was bringing my 3ds into the building at work.. I kept stree passing the same guy. Other than that. I don't get much. When I need passes, I use the home pass solution.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

@Interneto

Yes, thank you. The comment was more geared towards the 'special' description. As in, "Hmmmmm... I wonder what sets this apart from every other box?"

ericflapjack

ericflapjack said:

I love the new Street Pass Relay system. I can bank at least 10-15 just by stopping at three different places. It makes the Mii Plaza games a lot more fun as well.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Only got one hit today at a location where i usually get 5 or 6... weird!

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

I think Mr. Shibata told something about sharing hits all across Europe, someway... Please look at the 1:40 video in the Nintendo Direct section of the eShop.
And well he said there's more content on the way, more minigames I suppose.
Anyway the 6 hits thing is awesome.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@McHaggis My family has two (will go to 4.at Xmas), with 5, each of yours should get 4 hits 3 times a day - that should be plenty.

Sakura

Sakura said:

Really pleased about this. Thanks, Nintendo! Great Direct too. There's so much stuff to look forward to now. yay!

SMW

SMW said:

I don't think my Mcdonalds are cool enough. I go by one EVERY day and have yet to get a pass. Must not be that strong of a signal. Been weeks since I've gotten a streetpass anywhere. Kansas woes.

mr570

mr570 said:

6 passes at McDonalds in California this morning. Along with a Spot Pass character. Some Olympic chick.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

@MadAdam81 you'd think so... except that StreetPassing each other 3 times a day doesn't get us any pink puzzle pieces, and we're all at the point where spending play coins usually results in pieces we already have.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

They only said the 3D land box is rare, so it is not necesarily exclusive or special.