Pokémon X & Y Enjoyed the Strongest Ever Nintendo Game Launch in Australia and New Zealand

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Stock shortages to be resolved soon

Just recently we reported on the US NPD results for October, in which it was announced that the 3DS and 2DS systems had achieved monthly sales of 452,000 units, an impressive figure.

Pokémon X & Y, unsurprisingly, played a major role in that success — between them the two titles passed 1.7 million sales in October, in the US alone. Also of interest, however, Nintendo Australia has issued its own press release to highlight major success in Australia and New Zealand, while also addressing a shortage of stock for the blockbuster titles. The regional team announced that sales of X & Y surpassed 100,000 copies on the opening weekend of release, an all-time launch record for a Nintendo title in the region. For a sense of context, Pokémon Black & White's first week of sales in the region was a little over 80,000 units, a total surpassed by the new titles on their opening day.

This runaway success has caused stock shortages at retailers in the region, however, which Nintendo Australia states will start to be resolved in the coming week.

The demand for these highly anticipated titles has meant that some retailers in Australia and New Zealand have been faced with an out-of-stock situation. Nintendo Australia is ensuring that additional stock will be available from this week to ensure consumers are able to begin their adventure as soon as possible.

Impressive figures and landmarks for X & Y in Australia and New Zealand, further emphasizing the worldwide appeal of the franchise.

Thanks to WiiLovePeace for the reminder!

Related Games

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I still need to purchase Poxemon X myself, but I think I'll be getting Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon first. It's been on my bucket list for a long time. It's great to see the Pokemon franchise continue to succeed though.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I think I need to get a new job with a long commute so I can justify a 3DS in my life.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Many places were sold out on preorders. I got one of the last 10 copies of Y, and my friend got one of the last 3 copies of X in our local area in Australia. Most streetpasses I get have X or Y.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Yeah, the midnight launch in Melbourne was pretty big (Over 400 people I think, don't remember the exact number), and EB seems to sell out pretty quickly whenever they get new copies in.

luminalace

luminalace said:

The Pokemon games have been really hard to get in Australia since launch, infact the stores I frequent I have yet to see a copy!

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

Haha, forget EB - the reason this launch was so strong was probably because Big W and The Good Guys were selling copies for $44 on launch day! Some of my friends still haven't got a copy, although EB always seems to have some :D