Paradise Lost: First Contact Makes Wii U A New Priority

Posted by Conor McMahon

Initial funding of $70,000 now guarantees a release on Nintendo's console

Previously we reported on the Kickstarter project Paradise Lost: First Contact and the team's controversial decision to leave development on Wii U as a final stretch goal, behind even other home consoles.

The decision prompted debate on whether Nintendo's innovations intimidated indie developers, and highlighted a worrying trend among other Kickstarter campaigns. Today however, we some good news.

Developer Ashtree Works has recently announced an impressive change in the structure of their funding, bringing development for the Wii U straight to the top. Their initial goal of $70,000 now covers a definite version for Nintendo fans, with the slight caveat that it will not be a day one release unless a further goal of $230,000 is reached as well:

We can't promise you that this version will be released the same day as the PC one. That's why we are changing our stretch goals! So, we dropped the Wii U goal until $230,000 to make possible this release the same day as the rest of versions.

Until now, initial funding only promised the title on Windows, Mac and Linux,so this addition is certainly substantial.

It's a welcome sight to see developers take notice of what fans want, especially when a title is entirely crowdfunded, so Ashtree Works should be applauded for adapting in response to comments. With this new focus, anyone interested in the title shouldn't hesitate to contribute, and a pledge of $15 allows you to choose between a PC or console version. The project is at over $68,000 at time of writing, but a list of stretch goals should tempt some to go beyond that — especially now that multiplayer is a possibility.

If this change has made the project feel a little less 'alien'ating to you (we're so sorry), then let us know below.

[via kickstarter.com]

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

Good, because i am looking foward to this, and really don't care when i get it, just as long as i can get it for wii u.
First!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Pretty cool. I know I would have given money to other projects if the Wii U version was easier to reach. River City Ransom comes to mind.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Good! I'll wait then, because I really don't see us hitting the $230K mark for the Wii U stretch goal.

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

I wanted to fund but it wasn't going to hit the wii u stretch. Now theres a version coming if it hits 70k ill put money down. Looks like a good game.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Anyone know the name of the art style, I know it got popular with Superbrothers but not sure what to call it. But you know your doing something wrong when achievements are a kickstarter goal

ikki5

ikki5 said:

well good, they just earned themselves another back for $15.......next Thursday when I get paid :D

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

As soon as I decide what bonuses I want I will pledge. I'm glad they went this route, even if they don't reach the stretch goal and we have to wait. It will be an interesting experiment to see if the vocal Wii U fans follow through and give this a funding bump now that they know that if the game is made at all that they will get it.

@ikki5 They don't collect until the funding period ends, so you can pledge now; you just need to make sure you save the appropriate amount from your paycheck.

b23cdq

b23cdq said:

@audiobrainiac They don't transfer the money until the funding period ends, so yiu can safely back now, just make sure you have the money then!

JustinH

JustinH said:

Good on them, but I'm still not interested in this game. Who knows, though. Maybe it'll get some good word of mouth and I'll pick it up. Best of luck to them.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Nice to see it'll come to more platforms. I would have bought it on Steam if it didn't hit Wii U, but now it'll come down to features and price. The more platforms the better.

dyopri

dyopri said:

oooohh..wicked sidescroller.. kinda reminds me of another world from the snes.. never reeally got to finish that one..

gonna buy this, thanks nintendo!