Out Now: Super Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Or, if you're not in North America, just A Link Between Worlds

Today's a particularly busy day in the games retail industry, and certainly one of the most crowded in recent memory. There's new hardware, of course, with last week bringing the PS4 to North America — which arrives next week in Europe — and today delivering the Xbox One throughout both regions and beyond. But, wait, this is Nintendo Life, so we're rather more interested in three big-name titles coming to Nintendo systems today.

This one comes first simply because more of us can join in. Available today in multiple regions, this latest handheld Zelda title has received plenty of praise from the gaming press; we awarded top marks in our own review, unequivocally stating our belief that it's "currently the greatest game you can experience on the 3DS". It blends the nostalgia of the Hyrule represented in Super NES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with some bold changes to the standard formula — you can now rent items and tackle dungeons in your own preferred order, while also mastering Link's new technique of merging with walls.

It's a special game, which also has the ability to create a link between generations.

Coming to Europe on 29th November and available in North America right now, this is the latest 3D Mario home console title, words likely to get the blood of platforming enthusiasts pumping. After a somewhat underwhelming E3 2013 reveal, we've learnt — to our relief — that the initial taster wasn't an accurate reflection of what was to come. It's pure, unremitting fun in both single and multiplayer, with the latter option easily the best implementation of four player mayhem in a main series Mario game. We said the following as we awarded 10/10 in our review

This is a definitive 3D Mario experience, successfully finding a middle-ground between the iconic Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. You may not swing Bowser by his tail or run upside down, but it’s bursting with creativity nonetheless, while delivering on the craft and skill that defines the Tokyo EAD studio. It’s unmissable.

The critical acclaim and buzz has been significant for this one, and if you're still waiting for it you can always head over to our YouTube channel where we're uploading footage of one new level every day up to the release in Europe.

Arriving today in North America, though not until 17th January 2014 in Europe, this is the third portable entry in the mini-game franchise, serving up 80 new bite-sized slices of fun wrapped up in different boards and modes. We've given this a modest 6/10 in our review; the plus points are largely enjoyable mini-games and decent use of the hardware's control options, with modes focused on these experiences — particular in multiplayer — being worthwhile. There is some fluff, however, which combines unfavourably with some disappointing boards and underwhelming single-player options to detract from the experience — that said, we still feel it's worth consideration.

Thankfully, the great collection of mini-games ensures that there may be enough reason for many people to roll the dice.

With two more notable titles from Nintendo and rival consoles to see off, perhaps this 3DS release has the toughest task ahead of it.

So, which will you be picking up (when released, in some cases) or getting packed away as festive gifts? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

Which of the big-hitting Triforce of Nintendo games will you (eventually) pick up? (169 votes)

I plan to get all three, of course!

15%

Just A Link Between Worlds

I'll only splash out on Super Mario 3D World

14%

Mario Party: Island Tour, but not the other two.

Zelda and Mario 3D World, without a doubt

52%

Zelda and Mario Party, no Wii U action for me

Both the games with Mario in the title, no Zelda

I don't know yet

None of them, actually

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

I didn't vote for all three because Mario 3D World and Zelda ALBW look like must-haves, while I can't say the same for Island Tour.

idork99

idork99 said:

I went early this morning to my local Target to pick up SM3DW. So far, I've played the first two stages of the first world and just getting used to the Cat controls. And although they were the first two levels, they were pretty lengthy which is only promising for the rest of the game.

I'm going to indulge all this weekend in the single player mode and will have the Wii U set up for multiplayer mayhem in the living room for next week's holiday.

(I didn't get A Link Between Worlds today and will not make the purchase until fully indulging into 3D World. Although I could purchase both now, it would just be too much gaming goodness. It would be difficult to choose what to game with my little free time. So first up, 3D World to give the Wii U some love. Then, adventure awaits on my 3DS! Good times!)

Mizore

Mizore said:

At the moment I'm just getting Mario, Zelda and Island Tour are on my wish list though. (low on money, and all that, lol)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Mario Party and Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Get Super Mario 3D World when I get a Wii U for Christmas.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I went to the XBOX1 launch at the local GameStop and picked up both SM3DW and ALBW at midnight last night. I played through the first world and loved every second of it. The levels are designed so that you can explore if you like, or you can speed run too. I plan on playing through the single player with each character eventually to test out their unique abilities. :D It's just an overall great experience thus far. The Captain Toad levels (or whatever they're called) are pretty fun as well!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Super Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Tearaway and a new console launch, all in one day! Crazy.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

@Peach64 Yeah, I picked up Tearaway too... and the Zelda 3DS XL lol. No XB1 for me though. Not yet, anyhow.

I know both systems will pan out eventually, but the problems being reported (specifically the XB1) are definitely a cause for concern. It's funny, to me, how everyone hates Nintendo yet their launch went the smoothest out of the three. The only problem with the Wii U was that massive day 1 system update.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

I got me the Zelda golden 3DS XL and Mario 3D Land this morning before work and I'm dying to get home and play them. I quickly sold the digital version of ALBW on ebay this morning and I'll be getting the physical release instead.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I can't justify two games in one day, especially since I just started Radiant Historia and won't even get to another 3DS game for a few weeks, so just 3D World for me. I'm on my way home from buying it right now, in fact. But since I need a nap it will have to wait. That's all right--I'm a night owl so I've still got plenty of gaming time available today.

Swiket

Swiket said:

I heard that Mario 3D World has Ho-oh and ALBW has Lugia in it... but if you have two consoles you can trade between the two.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

I'll be picking up 3D World up after school. Can't wait, only one more period to go! I'm hoping to get Link between Worlds for Christmas.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@idork99

I had no idea you already got a Wii U, congratulations!

I downloaded 3D World last night as soon as it was up. Pretty awesome stuff. My brother is not into Mario games and he still played a bunch of levels in co op.

I will later on purchase Zelda as a physical copy, since I have 2 3DS systems so I don't want to link it (pun intended) to an specific system.

Mario Party is a no go for me, as I am not into party games, let alone on a handheld.

zerotheclown

zerotheclown said:

Great day to be a Nintendo fan! I picked up my preorder of Zelda, then 2 hours later went back and bought Mario haha. I couldn't resist. Both are blowing me away so far, especially Mario.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I pre-ordered ALBW, and I'll get SM3DW for Christmas.

I'm still jealous of you guys playing SM3DW though...I could buy it now, but I wouldn't have as much to look forward to for Christmas.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Well, I just got A Link Between Worlds.

That's because I live in Europe, even worse, The Netherlands. We don't get to have an XBOX ONE until 2014. Or PS4 (since all will be out of stock for a while after it's release next friday)

Next week I will get Super Mario 3D World, and well.. That's about it.

jasonbra

jasonbra said:

I picked up Mario 3d World. Was staring at the zelda 3ds XL. Sooooo very tempting. Have a feeling by the end of this weekend it'll be mine.

idork99

idork99 said:

@sinalefa Thanks! I've had it now since early October. And although I haven't been playing with it as much as I'd like, I feel that SM3DW is going to change that.

Started playing a new file with my six year old nephew and we passed the first world already! Fun stuff so far! And I do have to say we make a good team :).

The holidays are going to be fun this year with family gathered around the Wii U! I can feel it!

Yosher

Yosher said:

All the games!

..but for now only A Link between Worlds, because Europe. Getting the others on release day as well though!

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

This is the best game on WIi U and by far, its the first game where i feel proud to own a Wii U after a year of it being a failure in my eyes since I had it turned off all the time.

This mario 3d is a once in ten year game, one of the greats of a decade!!!

LDXD

LDXD said:

@GamerJunkie for once junkie I agree with you this is probably one of if not my favorite Mario its up there with super Mario world and smb3 no doubt!!

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

All three of course. I just downloaded Zelda and will be getting Mario Party soon. SM3DW has to wait till December.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

@LDXD I have high standards and this game is what I call a next gen Nintendo game, fully shows a leap ahead over Wii in every way and a game you can list in best games of the decade. Good job by Nintendo!!!

I have PS4 and Steam(550+ games) so when I judge games its based on comparing to a lot of games, usually I am hard on Nintendo because they have not lived up to "official nintendo seal" on most wii u titles, but boy they sure did with this gem!!!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

To my astonishment, both A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party were selling in a store today. I got A Link Between Worlds. I don't have a Wii U so no 3D World, and Mario Party just isn't worth $70...

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Got ALBW yesterday will get 3D World... when I get a Wii U! Hopefully this side of Christmas

LDXD

LDXD said:

@GamerJunkie how is the ps4? I was planning on waiting but boy reshogun looks fun!
That's the thing though you say Nintendo hasn't lived up to their seal but really like I've been telling people this is their first major title and wow I'm actually blown away this game is amazing and somehow feels fresh, I'm actually afraid to open up the new Zelda because I might tell my friends and family to go #$%& themselves lol
With my PC, ps3 and soon to be ps4 if Nintendo makes gems like this I say keep taking your time in fact take all the time you need

zool

zool said:

According to Nintendo Life Mario and Zelda are must have games while the Mario party score seems to be saying AVOID.

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

@LDXD The PS4 is really nice. The UI is super smooth, has voice and face recognition. So, you login with your face even from far away its 100% precise. You can command the menus with voice or just use voice in game also. The motion/camera thing is 100x more accurate and precise than wii u, IDK why nintendo stuck with this old sensor bar thing.... Wii U is the worst motion console now and that is one of its selling points...

Right when I got PS4 before having any games bought, I had resoGun, Contrast, Warframe, Blacklight Retribution and DC Universe online all free to play. All are decent or above games too and free, Nintendo is so cheap they give us nothing free. Big plus for Sony on that and PS Plus they give you 1 month free and games come with 7 days more, so right away you have that free too. They also gave me $10 PSN credits in the box to buy anything I want for $10.

It has a few more apps than Wii U for watching movies and following sports and other stuff, music, etc. The loading and menus are much faster for everything on PS4.

Games I have are Madden, NBA2k14, assassins creed and killzone. all run 1080p and 60FPS. Impressive graphics, good gameplay on all of them. The basketball looks so real its really showing off "next gen" visuals. The rest too, but NBA looks incredible.

The PS4 controller is awesome. Has the motion control, touch pad, and feels great, also can be used on your PC if you plug it in using USB and can then be used on steam for any games that support controller once you install a driver. You can plug any headphones into the controller like Wii U one and talk on there to people if you dont want to talk through the camera.

My main surprise is how well motion control works, so much better than Wii U since the motion gaming was "invented" by Nintendo. Its 100% accurate the machine knows exactly where you are at all times and where the controller is, every movement is tracked perfectly.

Wii U will still have 2-3 games per year I know I will love, but PS4 is going to be my most used and main console for sure, its just a better machine and a company that is more friendly to its customers. In a year if you pay $50 for PS Plus membership you will have 30-40 games given to you "free" as they give 3-4 a month and who knows what other bonuses. Nintendo really has to lower prices.....

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@GamerJunkie I agree highly man thank you for your opinion I hope some people on here that's on the fence about the PS4 read your comment and get some knowledge about the system whatever they should buy it or not.

zool

zool said:

To me a score of 6 says AVOID, since the price will be full price and not a budget price game.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

If I had a Wii U i'll get 3D world but won't get a system just for it, not interested in Zelda or Mario Party, guess my wallet would get a rest on 3DS expenses until Bravely Default Releases in February