Norwegian Cruise Line extends partnership with Nintendo, now offering Wii U

Posted by Liam Doolan

It’s no Daisy Cruiser

Nintendo is linked to baseball teams, love hotels, and even Mahjong sets, so it should come as no surprise it has other unique partnerships helping to expand the brand name globally.

With this in mind, US cruise ship operator Norwegian Cruise Line has announced a partnership expansion with Nintendo to offer brand new Wii U consoles and games fleetwide.

Nintendo’s latest console will be offered in all ship atriums and youth and teen centres. Additionally, Wii U systems will feature at various competitions and events on board each ship.

Norwegian Cruise Line first partnered with Nintendo way back in 2007 when the Wii was brand new, and is now upgrading to the system’s successor, the Wii U. The interactive nature of the Wii U is said to complement Norwegian’s Freestyle Cruising offering gaming opportunities to guests of all ages.

Hopefully the fun passengers have aboard this cruise line with the Wii U will rub off, and when they return to the mainland they go to their nearest store and pick one up.

[via financial-news.co.uk]

Blast

Blast said:

Good thinking, Nintendo!!1 Market the Wii U as much as you can!

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

When I saw the picture, I thought it was something about Mario Kart 8 lol. But anyway, good idea Nintendo! ;)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Funny that instead of Daisy Cruiser, I actually thought about the Queen Peach.

Sunnymj

Sunnymj said:

@Trululu The weather here in Norway(I live in the north) is really bad today. There's a storm today, lots of wind and rain:(

IsawYoshi

IsawYoshi said:

@Sunnymj Indeed. Loads of water flooding everywhere.

More on topic though, it was about time they did something here. Haven't seen a Nintendo commercial since 2009 here, and no one knows what a Wii U is. It doesn't help as much as TV ads though.

Sunnymj

Sunnymj said:

@IsawYoshi Yeah, I haven't either seen a lot of commercial or ads the past years. I have only seen playstation commercials on TV, but I don't watch a lot of TV. I have only seen ads for Pokemon or other 3DS games in comics(Donald Duck), nothing about WiiU. Nintendo/Bergsala need to adverstise the WiiU more here if they want it to sell and people to notice it.

On topic to what this article is about: The cruise line have nothing to do with Norway today(operates in the Caribbean, used to have Norwegian owners). Anyway all advertising for Nintendo is cool.

MkTony7

MkTony7 said:

Nintendo why didnt you do this last year? You had a whole year before the other consoles.

linkdeku7

linkdeku7 said:

@MkTony7 I don't know what channel honestly, I just happened to be walking by the TV in my break room at work when I saw it.

MAB

MAB said:

I was surprised to see 4 pubs in my area have WiiU setup in the kids section. one of them even had 3 systems... Every pub in the world should get behind WiiU ;)

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

@MadAussieBloke
I need to come hang out down under sometime. Most bars up here have Golden Tee, video slots, usually a pinball machine and the usual pool/darts.

MAB

MAB said:

@ajcismo More drunken Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and less life destroying poker machines I always say ;)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Nothing particularly wrong with this, but I would hope that if I paid to go on a cruise there'd be something to do other then play on a Wii U (which I already have trouble doing at home because of the lack of good games).

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

It's more than just good marketing, it's a great sale - how many consoles did they actually sell to the cruise line? There would be a few for each ship they have, as well as games - while there would be a nice discount, they'd still get a nice profit as well as marketing and word of mouth.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@MadAussieBloke I don't go pubs much anymore - I'm wondering which city you saw them in, I'm from Adelaide myself. If any Adelaide pubs have some, I'd be tempted to go.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

element187

element187 said:

Well sweet. Me and the wife were discussing going on a cruise... Now I know which cruise line to choose, lol

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Sunnymj I would love to visit Norway. I really would. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio (U.S.A) living in South Florida now. Some European countries and Asian countries has my interest to visit. I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to say that. :)

Qeuix

Qeuix said:

I've been on one of there cruise ships before and played the Wii on their 2 story screen T.V. it was epic and so much fun! :D