Mario Kart Arcade GP DX Is Drifting Into Western Arcades This Winter

Posted by Damien McFerran

Hope you've collected lots of coins

Namco Bandai and Nintendo announced Mario Kart GP DX at the start of the year, but a western release of the coin-op hasn't been up for discussion — until now, that is.

Arcade Hero is reporting that the game will be making its way out of Japan this year, with attendees at the IAAPA 2013 trade show in Orlando being among the first to experience the title in the west.

Based on mechanics seen in Mario Kart 7 and boasting 10 tracks, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX features the usual selection of Nintendo characters, as well as Pac-Man and Don from the Taiko no Tatsujin franchise.

[via polygon.com]

Polaris

Polaris said:

Odd that it features Pac-Man. I remember playing a Mario kart game in an arcade a long time ago.

DarkSplatoonLink

DarkSplatoonLink said:

This game is a little different but really really fun. When I saw it when I was in Japan, I remembered the fact that it existed and spent like 10 minutes just feeling it, which made my friends look at me dodgily for a bit. They think I'm a bit too obsessed with Nintendo, but ah well. The game was a little expensive but really, really fun!

micronean

micronean said:

I hope one play costs less there than it does here in Japan.
200 yen?!? O my lord!!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

It is already where I live and it's not worth it. One euro for a just a race that is not nearly as fun as a MK raceshould be is way too expensive. And it doesn't control very well.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@retro_player_22

One game does not an arcade revival make; unfortunately.

I actually wish this game was available on Wii U too, along with the upcoming Mario Kart 8.

Magiick

Magiick said:

If its coming to Orlando then I hope Dave & Busters considers to pick this arcade up in their collection now.

Worthy

Worthy said:

I remember playing the 2nd Arcade Mario Kart game and spending lots on it because you have a boss race after the 4th course of the theme (ie: you race Metal Mario on the Rainbow Road theme).

I also remember a weird Pac-Man course where it's in Pac-land, then you hit the pixelated symbol from the old games and go into a Pac-Man maze.

Pitty they don't bring these Mario Kart Arcade games to the Wii U, either as an eshop title or DLC courses for Mario Kart 8?

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Kirk Same here. I would pay full price for two Mario Karts in one platform generation, even if this is a lesser game to Mario Kart 8.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Oh, wow. I didn't see this coming. If Greenville gets a couple of these machines at Frankie's, I will be flipping out.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Well this is unexpected.
I'm not sure if any of the arcades around here will get it; it seems they're happy with what they've got. A couple of them seem to try to keep up with the modern arcade games... but just kinda... I liked the first Mario Kart Arcade GP, though! :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Gioku There is only two arcades in England that try and keep up. (One of them is the main Namco Station (Used to be Sega World) the other is a casino where the owner likes Arcade games and finances it from the gambling).

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Arcades died ages ago in the UK :( we used to have Sega world in london but no or hardly any arcades anymore just bring this out on Wii-u after or before the new mario kart comes out next years.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Yeah these games were expensive where I lived, I kept on having to churn out many tokens even if I won first place. Unfortunately the last arcade in my town got taken down due to constant violence occurring there every weekend.