Hyper Light Drifter Developer Aims to Deliver the Same Experience Across All Platforms

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Off-TV play is an aim on Wii U, while 8- 16-Bit difficulty is planned

We were rather pleased to confirm, in October, that Hyper Light Drifter had successfully reached a Wii U stretch goal in its successful crowdfunding campaign. Successful is putting in mildly, however, as the project raised $645,158 from an initial goal of $27,000; it's due in June 2014 if all goes well.

As many who've been interested in this project may have observed for themselves, the vision of the game is being prioritised about all else, so Wii U owners shouldn't anticipate unique features to be too evident in the experience. The game's creator, Alex Preston, said the following in the latest issue of EDGE magazine.

Preston also stated that his influences of tough games from the 8- and 16-Bit era would make it a challenging title — "there are too many f***ing easy games these days" — and hopes the visuals will drive the storytelling.

I think that's such a crucial element of being a good director, when a game is able to expose its innards in a way that's meaningful without having to bown it down into words and extrapolate it.

We're certainly looking forward to this one's arrival. If you haven't already seen it then you should definitely check out the trailer below, preferably while wearing headphones.

[via edge-online.com]

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I hope there is multiple difficulty settings. And I hope they are labelled Modern, 16-bit, and 8-bit for Easy, Normal and Hard respectively.

Baum897

Baum897 said:

The game looks really impressive, love those visuals and the gameplay seems pretty amazing, too. Exactly what I enjoy most (a bit like the "oldschool" 2D Zelda games)

MAB

MAB said:

"there are too many f***ing easy games these days"

This quote sums up Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony nicely... The way they make games these days you tend to think these companies reckon nobody has ever played a game before in their life ;)

Nareva

Nareva said:

If it plays half as amazingly as it looks, I'll be an early adopter.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

This is easily the Kickstarter game I'm looking forward to the most. I especially love the colors, which I don't think would work as well without the pixel-art style graphics.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm loving what I'm hearing. Guess I'll mark that down as another game I'm looking forward to.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

"Even if we put it on 3DS, we wouldn't just toss weird touch elements in there for the sake of having them, and it's the same thing for Wii U. Sure, we want to be able to play on (the GamePad's) screen, but it's a game that's really all about classic controls, and we don't want to change that for any one console. We want everyone to experience the game as we envisioned it."

This is something many game devs fail to realise. Just because a console can do something, doesn't mean you have to use it. If you have to redesign a game to get it on a format, and add useless tacked on junk then don't bother. Port the game so it plays as intended. The 3DS is capable of full 3D gameplay but Pokemon X and Y use it selectively.