Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twelve

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Marth, gardening tips, a spaceship-shaped bomb and more

With the start of another week we have our trusty round-up of screens from Super Smash Bros., courtesy of Masahiro Sakurai on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room Miiverse community board. Last week delivered another character announcement, with Marth confirmed as the latest challenger in the Wii U and 3DS versions, so the newly announced fighter was naturally the focus towards the end of the week.

Aside from Marth — whose design apparently incorporates elements from Shadow Dragon as well as newer games — this week brings us a humorous disguised bomb, in addition to a visual breakdown of The Villager's complex tree attack, with Sakurai-san saying the following on that topic.

Plant it, water it, and then timber! It's high maintenance but totally worth the effort! It needs tactics like never before.

Meanwhile, Link's downward strike currently changes to a Meteor Smash if the tip of the sword is lined up properly, though if too powerful it could be removed.

Some technicalities to think about, then, with all of the pretty images (exclusively Wii U this time) below; click on the date headings to see the original Miiverse posts.

4th November

5th November

6th November

7th November

8th November

Some attractive screens to enjoy this time around. Let us know which you like the most in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (328 votes)

Sonic and Olimar could be in for an explosive surprise

20%

The Villager shows off his horticultural skills

19%

Link's lined up and ready to cause a lot of damage

20%

Marth practices his "hero gazing into the distance" look

17%

Marth again, this time showing off his fancy threads

17%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Yosher

Yosher said:

Marth! At least one of my mains is confirmed now. Does this mean he won't be unlockable though?

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Yosher No guarantees, he was unlockable in Melee and Brawl, so it is equally possible for Marth to be there from the start, or unlockable.

As for Link's downward stab, I'm all for it! Link is my default so you won't see me complaining if he is stronger.

Blast

Blast said:

LOL Samus is screwed. Link is gonna impale her in that screenshot.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for Marth's debut. Seeing him for the first time in these games seriously impressed me. HD has been kind to him.

I like that these pics are becoming more interesting recently. The spaceship bomb that appears to be an item, though I was confused at first about whether it was a bomb planted by Olimar or just an item. However, I think the latter is more likely. Sakurai has been pretty vague on whether or not some things are items or not.

Film strips as Pic of the Days also opens some opportunity to show sequences of the characters more complex moves and attacks, leading to more interesting pics.

I'm fine with Link being more powerful since he really didn't have much power in the past. However, if Sakurai determines that the move is too much, then I would accept him taking it out. I can tell he really cares about balance this time. Hopefully they can keep Link powerful. That downward thrust-like move would be tricky to use since it could easily send Link to the abyss if not used carefully. Meteor smashes, at least Donkey Kong's double fist smash attack in my experience, are risky to use.

Hopefully with today's pic of capsules, this week's pics will be interesting as well.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I voted for Marth only because I'm hoping for a few Fire Emblem games on the U.....

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I had to vote for the item, it just was so unexpected, Olimar's ship as an item?! Does that mean his final smash is different? I suppose that'd be jumping to conclusions, but it's the only pic that opens up a few more questions for me.

Gioku

Gioku said:

...I can't help but notice that there are exactly zero 3DS screenshots this time... hmm... :|

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

I'm really looking forward to the balancing of characters. Especially for Ike if they bring him back. All of his smashes were high risk an low reward. Hopefully they remove that from all characters. Their smashes should either be high risk and high reward or low risk and low reward.

@Blastoise-san #5
He already hit her. Link bounces every time his in-air-down-attack connects.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Hmmm... And I wonder if the S.S. Dolphin will be replacing the warp star or something?

Player4

Player4 said:

Okay, so we have Toon Link, and now we have Marth. Amazing!

BUT WHERES MAH JIGGLYPUFF?!

hopfolla

hopfolla said:

None of this is possible as Olimar is the size of a 50 Pence Piece. Thank you.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I like all the ones but Marth. Marth is probably my least favorite character to play as and I wish that there was another character in his roster spot. On the brighter side I cant wait to cut down a tree.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I really liked the Sonic and Olimar one. The others didn't really impress me though, so it wasn't that hard of a choice.

PerezBro99

PerezBro99 said:

If anybody has questions, I can assure you that the original starters from "super SMASH bros" will be back. There's no way they won't put them in the game.

PS. I really, really hope they don't take out link's new move, because it looks awesome!!!

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Can somebody please tell me why the capsule item is a new challenger approaching on the official Smash Bros website?

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

....I wonder if he ended up changing Olimar's Final Smash....if that spaceship is a bomb now. (can't remember its name, lol)

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

I wonder if a clothing change for marth could be his mask in fire emblem awakening... what do you think?

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

@Yukari_Sendo
They probably did. Pikmin 3 came out after brawl, maybe there is something they can use from there. I didn't get pikmin 3 but it sounds pretty fun. So many games, so little funds :(

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

I expected Marth's appearance pic would gain the highest votes. Guess I'm wrong. -_-