Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Thirteen

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Marth's sword, The Villager's net, a MARIO GALAXY STAGE and more

We hope you agree that Mondays are made a little better with more Super Smash Bros. screens, with this 13th entry in our series being unlucky for absolutely no-one; Masahiro Sakurai has been busy, as always, on the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room Miiverse community board. Last week's major revelation (on Friday) was confirmation of a Super Mario Galaxy stage, at this point definitely coming to the Wii U version — the 3DS entry will have unique stages of its own, of course.

Aside from that reveal, Sakurai-san showed off the new design for capsules in the games, explained that Marth's sword has a powerful tip and that "The Villager's bug catching net...is actually a grapple move...sort of like Link's Clawshot and Samus's Grapple Beam." There was also a 3DS screen designed to show off the thick, stylised and customisable outlines in the 3DS game, with the following description given:

The characters' thick outlines are only available in the 3DS version. Only the external outline is thickened and won't appear in instances like when the hands or feet are overlapping. It's got a softness to it and is not just black.

You can see last week's images below, and as always click on the date headings to see the original Miiverse posts.

11th November

12th November

13th November

14th November

15th November

A real mix this week that tackles moves, visuals and a new stage reveal. Let us know which you like the most in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (390 votes)

D'aww! Those mini capsules!

Marth and Link compare swooshy swords

15%

The Villager nets Link, may try to sell him at the shop

21%

Pikachu has a sit down to 'outline' the 3DS art style

Dat Mario Galaxy stage

50%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Specters

Specters said:

mmmm dat sweet sweet Mario Galaxy stage. Think I'm going to have to load up the Wii and play Mario Galaxy 2 now.

Goginho

Goginho said:

lol easy to predict which one would get most votes before even seeing them all :P

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I was going to say "Dat Galaxy Stage" in the comments, but the poll already did it for me. Thanks Nintendo Life! :D

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Does anyone know what the deal with these capsules is ? The look almost the same as teh ones in Dragonball and basicly serve the same purpose.
Is there some kind of connection, a cultural thing that i dont get ?

On Topic: Im voting for the villager, i love that little happy fella :)

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

Lol just by the headline caption alone , I can tell what your favorite screenshot is Nintendolife ;)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Villager netting Link. He will take him to Nook, but rather than sell, he will have Nook make a code out of him, so his friends in other towns can have their own Link.

Kiokothepirate

Kiokothepirate said:

That galaxy stage will be a big disappointment if it does not use some of the funky gravity effects they used in the games.

This is the only game I'm looking forward to at the moment.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Why do the 3DS screenshots always stink? Why can't we have interesting screenshots of the 3DS version? I guess they are trying to promote the Wii U, but still... the 3DS version is cool too!

Protospasm

Protospasm said:

(spoilers)

If Wii Fit trainer can be either gender, I'm hoping some other characters get that as well...

especially Marth to Lucina.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Super Mario Galaxy stage wins this week's vote easily. It's my favorite stage revealed so far with its gravity and selection of music to fight to bringing a lot of potential. It can also have beautiful scenery considering the different things going on in the background with StarShip Mario, airships, small planets, and Toad Brigade spaceship.

For some reason I thought the capsules were small in the original Smash Bros., but I didn't see any image online to confirm that or not. They look nice, and hopefully they won't be hard to see in HD or 3D.

Marth and Link look really good as well, especially their faces.

The Villager's net is for grabbing, since Sakurai confirmed it'll work like Samus' grabbing beam.

It's also nice to see that the 3DS outlines can be reduced in another sense other than being customized. It shows that they'll be fluid rather than rigid, and they won't always be in black either. That means they could be red or green or anything else other than black.

It seems like Sakurai will be posting more interesting pics for now on, such as pics that reveal something new or interesting rather than the early pics that were just meant to be funny.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I actually liked the picture of The Villager netting Link the most. Pretty cool stuff.

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

Mario Galaxy stage should get 100% of the vote.... that's just one sweet donkey level.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

I think I'm the only one in the world who isn't looking forward to the Galaxy stage. The gravity is going to make it hard to battle on.

element187

element187 said:

@shinokami I disagree with the graphics for TLOU.... While it had its moments where you said to yourself "wow", but too many parts just had disgustingly blurry textures,low polygon models, TERRIBLE frame rate hiccups, and all around terrible IQ. I would rate the visuals as a 8/10 just because of the moments that were impressive, but all the issues with frame rate, most textures and low polygons in some of the areas just made the game look like a hot mess that really was jarring that I can't ignore

Honestly Pikmin 3 looked better, a lot more polish. Dynamic Lighting looked amazing( I'm so happy Nintendo made the Wii U powerful enough to render dynamic lighting without any frame rate hiccups)
I would give it a 9/10 in the visuals department (my only complaint with the visuals was the lack of anisotropic filtering on the ground textures, you could really see it badly when you did a zoom in on what The captains see)

Rafie

Rafie said:

@element187 Pikmin 3 looked better than TLOU?! Wow! I've heard it all now. Pikmin 3 didn't have as much background or anything like that compared to TLOU! Come on now! While I can agree there was some hiccups here in there, TLOU is still a much superior looking game. I don't want to downplay P3 as it's a wonderful looking game. I mean it is a next gen game versus a previous gen game pushing the limits of the console it's on.

Now I'm sure that Nintendo will optimize the Wii U's hardware to push out a game that looks way more superior to TLOU. Probably a new Metroid, Zelda, Monolith, etc. It just hasn't done it yet.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Einherjar Dangit I was going to say the same thing about the Capsules with the whole DBZ thing. Hmm...I wonder if Goku would be a surprise character. LOL Hahaha Wishful thinking!

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Is it just me, or are pics of the day getting boring?

Aside from new reveals, I just skim over them.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I can't wait to be the villager. I'm gonna nickname him patrick batemanimal.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

You caught a Legendary Hero! ...But where's the milk?

I wonder what my Encyclopedia says about my new catch!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Rafie Nah, i highly doubt that, and besides, they look like that since Melee, so there where plenty of opportunitys of a DB character to sneak in ;)

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Arrived late, voted for the Mario Galaxy stage.
It's not the 3DS screenshot, for once, but, you know, Galaxy. Does anything else really need to be said?

jeb_leeds

jeb_leeds said:

Oh wow, I'm thinking of the mario galaxy stage being a full sphere with gravity. You get smashed you fly and orbit the thing like in angry birds space. If you have too much damage you fly out of orbit lol. Can't wait for that stage wow.

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

@Rafie LOL I agree I have nothing to say in the matter all I know is this Pikman 3 isn't even a GOTY nominee and TLOU is so all is well is proven of that contradicting comment.