Feature: A Guide to the Best Nintendo Gifts For the Holiday Season

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Accessories

OK, so these aren't essential, but they are possibly the most awesome Wii Remotes ever produced; they're MotionPlus too, of course. The fact that the colour scheme is carefully setup to match the Bros.' dungarees is fabulous to see; the Luigi remote will be available in a Nintendo Land bundle in North America, as well.

If you're a fan of smaller controllers and don't always want to be clinging onto the meaty GamePad, the Wii U Pro Controller is well worth an investment. It's solid and feels nice to use, which is what really matters.

This, if the image doesn't make clear, is an official battery improvement for the Wii U GamePad. The controller's battery is well-known for the fact it's, well, not very good, and this is available at online retailers in Europe. It's not readily available in North America, leaving gamers in the region to consider third-party options.

The last two games in our 3DS list on the previous page are much better with this controller add-on. It may be a travesty for the eyes but it works, damn it, and is perfect for reliable dual Circle Pad gaming.

Fun Stuff, Just Because

Sometimes, as the snow falls outside and the fire roars, it may be time to engage in something more relaxing than waving Wii Remotes around with family members. That's where this chess set comes in, as it allows for more civilised, respectable activity while still paying homage to the big N.

This is the awesome Super Mario Bros. Punk print from www.firebox.com; if you want this adorning your wall hit up the link; we think this rates highly on the awesome scale.

OK, so Mega Man is a Capcom franchise not exactly exclusive to Nintendo, but it is a series that's had many of its iconic moments on the NES and SNES. This t-shirt from www.insertcoinclothing.com is one of many game-related options, we just wanted to honour the Blue Bomber.

This set of Prima Legend of Zelda guide books is expensive, but it's also impossibly gorgeous. We own a set and couldn't resist sharing its delights, as it's a set of pure beauty.

Those with the aforementioned Wind Waker HD Wii U hardware bundle have a digital copy of this, but owning the real thing is still something else entirely. Before launch this scaled the heights of the Amazon best-sellers charts, and it reveals an official Zelda timeline that we can all argue about. We reviewed it and took a lot of pretty pictures, so check that out.

We agonised over this one, as the presence of an SD card slot means that it's possible to be a bit naughty and beef up its library, but regardless of that this is a thoroughly decent and affordable handheld with 20 Mega Drive / Genesis games included; it can be found at various online retailers and, occasionally, in stores.

We just like Bowser, in this case, but this entry is for Nintendo-themed plush toys. Because we all need plush toys in our lives.

This gift is ironic — and can be found on Amazon — as after spending out on all these Nintendo goodies it'll be left desolate and empty. But still, it's an NES controller wallet, what's not to like?

So there you go, lots of choices out there to tempt Nintendo fans. Are any of these on your list?

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Bravely Default for real play, Super Mario 3D World for party fun and Disgaea D2 for additional spice. My xmas should be awesome.

I'm currently preparing by playing a really bad game (Sonic 06) just so that I can truly apreciate these good games.

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'll take the 2DS!

I really want it as my second 3DS system! Especially since it's the cheapest model! :)

Mahe

Mahe said:

Just Dance is a must-buy. Either Just Dance 4 which can be had for cheap now or Just Dance 2014, the latest one.

But nobody should buy the Basic console pack in any situation, ever. Not even if it comes bundled with Wii Party U and a Wiimote. It's better to buy the Wii Party U and Wiimote bundle separately with a Premium version of Wii U.

ueI

ueI said:

I'm surprised you didn't include Nintendoland or Wonderful 101.

rjejr

rjejr said:

No love for the Wii Mini? ;-)

I was in TRU this morning looking for a 1 day sale on Skylanders Adventure packs for $9.99 (picked up Pirate Adventure) and I noticed a bunch f the red Wii Minis in the display case. There were also a couple of Zelda bundles and Mario bundles but nt Nintnedoland bundles that I could see. They also had a SKylanders bundle but as somebody above said, its the 8Gb so I'ld be leery. Though I think it is on sale somewhere Friday for $250 which might be tempting for someone looking for both a Wii U and Swap Force.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I uh...
It's just...
Well, I mean...
No Wonderful 101? You gave that a 9/10, so I think it's pretty worthy, especially when you include titles like... Wii Party U.

TheItalianBaptist

TheItalianBaptist said:

Target has the sega genesis classic game console for $40. It's got 40 genesis games and 40 throwaway games (including a shameless bomberman ripoff), but it also TAKES GENESIS CARTRIDGES!!! No need to worry about not being legit with that :)

LegendaryQ

LegendaryQ said:

Just an FYI, you may want to look at the image for Animal Crossing New Leaf. It's not exactly correct.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Already own every console and game on this list. As for the gamepad batteries, I ordered 2 of them from an eBay seller in the UK back in October since they are exclusive to that region (and AmazonUK in particular if I'm not mistaken, which won't ship to the US). Unfortunately, my shipment has been stuck at ISC Chicago in customs for nearly a month now. I'm hoping I'll get those bad boys before the year ends.

JonnyKong

JonnyKong said:

I put up a comment about how much I wanted the Bowser plush because I have a small collection of Nintendo plush toys, but then I started to ponder whether or not a 29 year old male should be buying plush toys and then I came to the conclusion that's why I'm still single.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Gorlokk Yeah, that's fair enough. I was going for different brands, genres etc, and also some that are often reduced price nowadays. I think Wii Party U needs to be there because of its family focus, but in hindsight Wonderful 101 could have taken the place of Deus Ex or ZombiU.

Vriess

Vriess said:

I'm all set. I got the Wii U with Wind Waker and the Golden 3DS XL with ALBW...aaaaw yeah! :P

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

@JaxonH (plus anyone outside UK/Europe wanting to get hold of the Gamepad battery).

There are strict rules for what can be sent international post, and the International Civil Aviation Organization has deemed batteries to be dangerous items when not integrated into a device (therefore you could send a Gamepad abroad, but not the battery on its own). It may well be if you order a battery from another country you won't receive it,.

There are other rules which may restrict posting within your own country, and you should check them out. For the rules for posting from the UK, a link to Royal Mail is:- http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

I hope this is of help to anyone thinking of ordering a battery from another country.

PorllM

PorllM said:

All of these bundles are incredible and I can wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who isn't sure. As a 3DS Xl and Wii U owner, however, I was hoping this list would contain stuff outside of consoles like cool Nintendo merchandise, keyrings, statues and other baddonkey gifts. I know you can get Zelda piece of heart soap on Etsy which is awesome.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@JonnyKong
My partner keeps wanting me to buy plushes, including Nintendo one, so I think you just need to find the right person : )
(No you can't have mine :P)

Shambo

Shambo said:

I f anyone were looking for an expensive gift for a random stranger -being me- I'm looking for a Panasoniq Q, that Japan-only, DVD-playing, mirror-shiny Gamecube.

Kirk

Kirk said:

There's some nice bundles there. The one with the extra copy of Super Mario 3D World is by far the best deal though.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I definitely got my money's worth of fun out of year one but it is slightly annoying that I could have got a Wiimote+, Mario Hat, Luigi U, NSMBU, SM3DW for the price of my Nintendoland Bundle if I had waited.

Amazon are doing a £199 premium with NSMBU bundle, possibly with with some other cool stuff.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from Microplay (French-Canadian retailer). It had a pretty good spread for Wii U, a full page (same as PS4 and XBone), and the most featured game across the 3 platforms was Super Mario 3D World.

Looks like some retailers are pretty enthusiastic about the machine.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Everybody I have seen commenting on this site about 3D World seems to have finished it already. (10/10 should mean perfect i.e a good level of challenge for everybody - but from reading this site you get the impression it is a good level of challenge for nobody).

Dazran303

Dazran303 said:

Finally! Got my login details right! Been so long! >.<
I already have a 3DS & WiiU, but I want to buy all these! They look so nice!

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

I'm holding of till the sales next year to hopefully pick up the NSMBU bundle cheaper, after that il be getting my mitts on Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD.

Ferg

Ferg said:

Want...it...ALL! (well, except for the consoles, already have them :)

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

That Zelda 3DS XL is awesome. I imagine there will be a large number of happy Nintendo fans receiving one this holiday season.

rjejr

rjejr said:

If this was posted Wed and it's now Fri why does it still read "1 day ago"?

For that matter why is it still #1 on the page w/ only 32 comments?

Best hardware deals that SHOULD be on the list - perhaps US only?

Skylanders Swap Force Wii U bundle for $299. It's only 8GB but if you're a parent buying Swapfroce and a Wii U separately for your kid(s) than it sitll might be worth it. On sale someplace for $250ish today.

That 3DS XL Dream Team bundle for $199 at Target. Very tempting.

Anclation

Anclation said:

Shame on you for ignoring The Wonderful 101, while including Wii U Party and a late port. Such a high quality third party exclusive deserves way better..

mostro328

mostro328 said:

I just witness a toys r us employee tell a women who was going to buy a wiiu that she should get the wiimini because it does all the samethings and its cheaper, i wanted to scream, of course the mom went with the mini

Prime

Prime said:

And now for not alerting her some kid's x mas is gonna be ruined........triple facepalm

Buzzthebatgirl

Buzzthebatgirl said:

No Wonderful 101? That's confusing knowing you guys gave it a great review a few months ago and it is simply amazing...