Conception II Due in North America This Spring

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Harvest Moon this is not

Atlus has never been a company afraid of bringing some of the more unorthodox titles to western shores. This… looks to be one of those.

The company, in partnership with Spike Chunsoft, has announced that Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars will be localized and released in North America this spring for both the 3DS and Vita. While the original Conception was made for the PSP, this title is said to have a standalone story.

So what do you do in Conception II? Well, you fight monsters! Yes, you fight monsters in the Pandora Labyrinth and its offshoot mazes as a young male Disciple with the power of the Star Gods! That all sounds perfectly well and good by videogame standards.

The catch, however, is that a Disciple’s power apparently leaves at the age of 18, meaning that to keep fighting monsters, two Disciples need to get together and create “Star Children.” There are seven “key heroines” within the game that the main character can bond with and create these Star Children, and the protagonist is encouraged to make children with each one.

Aside from that, Conception II appears to be a pretty-looking turn-based RPG with strategies based on the directions from which characters attack monsters and a “Chain Drive” meter used to restrain monsters and open them to more damage. It should also be noted that the exact method for creating Star Children appears somewhat nebulous for now.

Conception II is expected to arrive at an MSRP of $39.99. Further info is likely to be added to the game’s official website in the near future.

So what do you think? Are you eagerly awaiting this special arrival or does it just sound too strange to bear? Let us know below.

[via atlus.com]

Kasplat

Kasplat said:

I played the demo on the japanese eshop. The graphics and gameplay were pretty awesome!

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Cool! I was hoping on a new Trauma Center but this is interesting as well, can't wait to see more.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Yeah, that... that's "conception" alright. Though I've got to recommend taking a bit more than 18 years to get it over with.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

I like Atlus. Hopefully this is good. Does anyone know how the gameplay is? fingers crossed for it being a dungeon crawler

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I wasnt expecting this to be released overseas. Might give it a try.

Last atlus game I played was Izuna 2, so maybe its time to try another atlus game :>

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Looks amazing. Might get it. Hopefully there will be a demo so I can try it out first and then decide.

ueI

ueI said:

Eh, I'd like more info. A quick search has revealed that the first game was never localized.

JustinH

JustinH said:

What was the first game generally translated as again? Conception: I Desperately Need a Pregnancy or something?

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

That...is weird even by standarts set by Nippon Ichi AND Atlus themselfes.
Not gegativly weird, but weird nonetheless :D
I love these companys for not shying away and bringing non mainstream games overseas.
I bet that this will be the first "cutesy, anime style RPG" to get an M / 18+ rating :D

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hmmm, which system will I end up getting this for...If I have a Vita by then I'll get the Vita version, if not I'll get the 3DS one.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

I like these obscure, weird titles like this one. Will definitely keep an eye out on more info.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Oh no! I saw the title of this article, and started thinking "Conception II... Conception II... where have I heard that before...?" And then I realized "It's not that crazy PSP game in which you must 'father an army', is it...?" I read the article and holy crap, it is!!! Oh my. I never expected to see this get localized!!! lol :D

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

im just going to say it... this game looks creepy, and not in a Resident Evil, or even Portal sort of way... creepy in a you just got kidnapped by a cult sort of way
Please watch the profanity — TBD

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I am ... completely stunned. Well played, ATLUS, and all, but ... huh. Really didn't expect to see this jumping the pond. Maybe I'll check it out.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Could sell like hotcakes in the Rpg/college crowd, you know, those who love weird and crazy anime.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Well if its from Atlus it at least deserves a look! Never heard of the first game though.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Why is it weird? Several games have focused on multiple generations and choosing who your mate is to determine your child. Starting with Phantasy Star III.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Gioku Ahahaha!!! Now you remind me!
This is seriously bonkers - but if the gameplay holds up well, there's nothing I wouldn't play!

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

Show me some good ole gameplay and I'm in! The concept sounds pretty fun and I'd be interested in playing through that on my 3ds.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@FantasiaWHT Those games don't encourage your character to become an underage slut for the express purpose of sending your children monster hunting. Even for those whom survive, what kind of family life is that? I'm glad to see more obscure games get localized, but this is too sick of a premise for my tastes.

TheGZeus

TheGZeus said:

@BulbasaurusRex Word up.
This is some freaky weirdness.

I never spoke out too strongly against the dating sim/eroge/etc and other fantasy-fulfillment yech that are common in Japan, because from what I heard and experienced while I was there is that it's really really hard to meet people to talk to and hard to find ways to hang out with the ones you already know. So you get lonely people with limited experience, and thus odd ideals. Even if it's a small percentage of the population, it's a significant market!
However, I'm somewhat disturbed that there seems to be a growing market in the US for these things. The opportunity to meet people and numerous recreational activities are everywhere!
What's going on that people would rather pretend to hang out with fake people than actually hang out with real ones?
What's changed? I don't know, but I'm not happy with the results...