Check out These Awesome Super Mario Happy Meal Toys

Posted by Martin Watts

Although you'll need to go to Japan if you want one

Do you love Super Mario, enjoy eating copious amounts of fast food and also happen to live in Japan? If so, then you're in luck! Starting from next month, McDonalds Japan will be offering two delightful Super Mario toys with its Happy Set meals (essentially the Japanese version of a Happy Meal).

Available from 22nd November — no doubt to coincide with the release of Super Mario 3D World the day before — consumers will receive one of two figurines with their meals. Moreover, the meal comes with a special edition Christmas box that folds into a Christmas tree. Those that purchase the Happy Set on either 23rd or 24th December will receive a special Mario-themed dice game.

Mario is known for liking his food, whether it's wolfing down size-increasing mushrooms or the odd bowl of pasta every now and again. Therefore, it only makes sense that he'd get behind the world-famous burger chain for a bit of self-promotion; after all, Nintendo needs all the advertising help it can get at the moment.

Given that it's the Year of Luigi, we can't help but feel a little sad that Mario's younger brother isn't receiving a toy of his own; although judging by his slender physique, it's probably because he's not the one scoffing down all the burgers.

Would you like Nintendo and McDonalds to release these Super Mario toys in the West? Which Mario character would you like to share your Chicken McNuggets with? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via destructoid.com]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Well, I finally have a reason to visit macdo! I saw this at the dutch version of macdo's facebook. So I can confirm what @Drake said.

cookiex

cookiex said:

McDonalds in Sweden had a Super Mario promotion running through September and October, although from the looks of it the Japanese promotion has different toys from what Sweden had.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The smell of McDonalds is probably one of the smells I hate most out of most common ones. (I think I prefer the smell of fresh manure which is saying something).

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Cool toys, but I can't make it the food in the picture. Is that a container of corn??

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

"Although you'll need to go to Japan if you want one"

Erm....they're currently available in my country (Malta)....and if they're available in a tiny island in the Mediterranean, I can bet they're available elsewhere too.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Those are really cool, I remember getting a Mario Kart toy from Wendy's when I was younger and still lived in the States lost it in a taxi though.
Edit: Think it was this
Untitled

RR529

RR529 said:

Meanwhile, here in the U.S., McDonald's is currently giving out picture books with Happy Meals...

Man, I hate all this overbearing PC nonsense...

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I can also confirm, that some of those are (or at least were through October/early November) available in Germany, too.

I'm not sure if we got the same toys although I'm 99,9% sure, that they were promoting 3D Land for whatever reason.

rjejr

rjejr said:

As a father who likes to watch what his kids eat, I would gladly take them to McDs for these.

kletro

kletro said:

I was in Italy this September. They had Mario, luigi, ttoad, power up and donkey Kong. I hope they will come to Slovenia once.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This doesn't make sense considering last year around the launch of Wii U, Burger King had Mario and Donkey Kong toys here in America. Oh, well, at least those toys were cooler than these. Diddy Kongs in a barrel, anyone? I still have the kid's meal box with a Wii U design with Luigi on it.

JustinH

JustinH said:

@Jazzer94 Nice. I have a giant tupperware box full of those toys from when I worked at Wendy's like 10 years ago. I keep waiting for the right time to sell them.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

My first memory of Mario was with a happy meal. I think it was Super Mario Bros 3, and the toy was a winged koopa that you could pull back and then it would race forward.

Shadowluigi2

Shadowluigi2 said:

These look pretty cool. But imagine if Japan had toys from Super Mario 3D World, that would make traveling to Japan worth it.

BlueBlurIxM

BlueBlurIxM said:

Over here in Germany we had Super Mario Toys as well. The Mushroom had sound. I actually don't eat any fast food but I got some toys from friends. lol :P
Here a picture of the selection:
Untitled

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Yosher You're going to let 2 mins of embarassment stop you from having a lifetime of fun with these toys?! :( Don't walk away from something great because of fear, you'll only regret it later...

mch

mch said:

Yep, we have them too here in Switzerland. Saw them last week. Pretty Cool!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Those............look amazing. If they bring that over here, I will proceed into the nearest McDonald's and be like "Rev up those Mario toys and fryers, cause i'm sure hungry for some........" and the rest you all should know by now.

shaggyc

shaggyc said:

Yeah.. I want these. I wonder what happned to the toys on top of the mario birthday cake I had one year. At least they aren't zelda toys.. Not having the chest with a link between worlds was enough of a blow.

J-Murdock

J-Murdock said:

If you bring it here in the States, i'll be buying them no doubts. I'm not too ashamed or embarrassed at all. Did you know, I used to worked at McDonald's?.

Yoshi88

Yoshi88 said:

It is at times like this that I wish I lived in Japan. Btw @jquest I do believe that is a bowl of corn. Seems like McDonald's I'm Japan is a lot healthier than in America...

Austroid

Austroid said:

Now those are some quality Happy Meal toys! Once again I'm jealous of Japan...

Bring them over to the US by yesterday!

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I still have my Luigi from their SMB 3 toys. Here he is sitting on my desk (and in good shape and still working!):
Untitled

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Those remind me of the SMB3 toys that McDonalds had years ago. Still have a complete set of those too.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Dang... I walked past something Mario-related at McDonald's the other day but didn't really pay attention. Now that I've seen them in more detail, they're super tempting... too bad I'd be too embarrassed to order a children's meal in front of my wife, and even MORE embarrassed to do it on my own. Also I'd have to eat McDonald's. People can say what they want about it being "healthier" here, but when you only eat it at most once a year it does horrible things to your tract in any country.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

I actually own the green pipe Mario (and two other ones, and Luigi, and Yoshi). As @kletro said, they were available in Italy for a couple months, with boxes folding in Mario'shat&moustache or Peach's wig&crown

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I still have a Mario figure from when Wendy's did that kinda random line of kids' meal Mario toys.

And yes, we demand Luigi! Mario is not enough to get me to eat at McDonald's.

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I was all set to go to McD (never go for any other reason) and buy some Happy Meals until I saw that it's for Japan only..... :|

I do have the Super Mario Bros 3 McDonalds toys from when I was a child.

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

We already had the McDonald's Mario month in October in Hungary. 2 Luigi, 1 Princess Peach, 2 Mario, 1 Donkey Kong, 1 Toad, 1 Super Mushroom, and 1 Yoshi figurines were available. Pretty cool.