Ace Attorney Producer Wants To Revive Capcom's Final Fight

Posted by Damien McFerran

Motohide Eshiro also wants to revisit Devil May Cry and Shadow of Rome

Motohide Eshiro is the producer of Capcom's recent 3DS offering Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, and has worked in a wide range of roles at the company, including a programmer, director and planner. Given this wealth of experience, it seems only fair to ask which games Eshiro wants to work on next — which is exactly what Japanese magazine Famitsu did recently.

Eshiro admitted that he'd love to revist some of Capcom's side-scrolling classics, including Final Fight, the SNES version of which recently launched on the Wii U Virtual Console:

Well, since I am part of Capcom, I’d like to continue releasing more games for Onimusha and Devil May Cry. Again, I’d also like to revive side-scroller games, such as Final Fight and Dungeons & Dragons! They may be simple, but they have plenty of depth, and I definitely believe that remaking older action games with today’s technology would make things interesting.

He added that one of Capcom's most unique titles from the PS2 era is another which he'd love to resurrect some time soon. Shadow of Rome was launched in 2005 with Eshiro serving as director, and he admits that he still holds a torch for the historical title:

Personally speaking, I’ve always had a place in my heart for Shadow of Rome, so I’d like to make a sequel for it. At the time, there were many radical descriptions of the game, and it was full of pros and cons [laughs], but I think if we could make some adjustments and make it into something that adults could enjoy, it would be nice. Of late, I could say that I’ve become an old man, so I’ve been interested in ‘entertainment for grown ups'.

We'd personally love to see another Final Fight, but done properly — not like the terrible Final Fight: Streewise from 2006. Perhaps Eshiro is the man to do it? What do you think? Which Capcom series would you like to see rise from the dead? Leave a comment to tell us.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

It would be a breath of fresh air if Capcom focused on their abandoned francises instead of milking Street Fighter and Resident Evil. It's not Mega Man, but focusing on Capcom's lesser franchises is definitely a step in the right direction!

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I would love a Final Fight. If Capcom can't bring up Mega Man, then at least give us Final Fight.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Which Capcom series would you like to see rise from the dead? Hmm. That is a Mega question... I could think of any Man from Capcom that could do a series justice. Have it be the Bomb(er) that it once was. Though if I keep thinking about it I'm going to be Blue in the face...

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Revival of classic IP can surely only be a good thing! I have fond memories from playing Onimusha on the PS2.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

A new Final Fight game would be good. Capcom needs to bring back Rival Schools and Darkstalkers.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Would love a new Final Fight and while they are how about a Gargoyles Quest game!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Don't think anything will come of this. If they won't do a megaman I doubt they will do this. (Unless final fight neo or whatever it is called outsold megaman zx) .

I would quite like Arcade Knights of the Round.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Yes! YES! And... ummm... YES! I would give my 3rd nut for a new FF and Dungeons & Dragons. But, as others have said, done right. With as much care graphically that was invested in SFIV. Or, in tribute to the pixel art craft the originals were rendered in, full high-res hand-drawn art like Dragon's Crown and Rayman Legends. A low texture, simple 2.5D offering like the most recent Double Dragon or the PSP Castlevania and Ghouls and Ghosts offerings won't cut it. I'd rather they leave them be if they won't invest the love and care.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

As long as Capcom ends this trend of handing off beloved franchises to lousy western studios who don't understand those games anyway. Bionic Commando Rearmed was amazing, but only because Bertil Horberg is a genius.

I love Final Fight with all my heart. One of my favorite games of all time. I love Cody like he was my brother. But giving that name and those characters to some crap western studio--it was an insult to people who love Capcom's games. Capcom's REAL games.

So yes, Mr. Eshiro, please work on Final Fight Something. In Japan. And don't let anyone from anywhere else put their hands on it unless they've paid to play it.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It would be nice. I got FF3 for the Wii U, and I had forgotten how fun it was.

And with Mighty No 9 incoming, it seems pointless to ask and beg Capcom for a Megaman game.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I love how Mike's holding a pipe behind his back like he hopes no one notices.

Zael

Zael said:

taking example from kof 13 or dragon's crown it is possible to make great 2d graphic and apply to side scrollers like final fight, d&d or fighting games
And please release them on wii u

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

Shadow of Rome was really awesome and I'd love to see a sequel for it.
But all of the series he mentions would be fun to see continued, as long as Devil May Cry refers to the original games and not the groan inducing 2013 version.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I would love to see a new/reboot of the Final Fight series as long as it stayed true to the series unlike that one they did a few years back.

I would like to see a new D&D fighter too but I think that would be a bit harder to do since Capcom and Wizards of the Coast would have to work together on that one.