Weirdness: If Pokémon Battles Were in First-Person, It'd Be a Lot Less Cute

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ouch

Pokémon fever has been in force for many weeks and months now, culminating in the recent release of Pokémon X & Y. Like many of the most successful and best-loved franchises on Nintendo systems, it's also a rather peculiar premise that's been going strong for many years. As we suggested in our weekend article, playing Pokémon games can be a quirky and baffling business.

One of the most common points made with the series, of course, is that you're pitting strange little creatures against one another in battle. Different 'mon have interesting abilities and powers, naturally, and it can be easy to overlook or forget how peculiar the series can seem to the uninitiated or those that aren't gamers.

A neat video, which is well on its way to going viral, perhaps highlights the more brutal aspect of the Pokémon concept by recreating a Pikachu and Bulbasaur battle in first-person. Check it out and let us know whether you'll ever see battles the same again.

[via kotaku.com]

Kit

Kit said:

Awesomeness! But yeah, we're always getting the little critters to do our own dirty work - maybe we 'do' need to rethink the ethics of Pokémon battling?!! Nart!!!

Blast

Blast said:

Hmmmm... this wasn't that bad... It was funny and cute at the same time.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Pokemon at least when I tried it was like an old school JRPG without the story. Just the grinding. (The original Gameboy one). What has changed that makes it so much better these days ? (It is the case that you see far less children out and about playing it.)

darkfenrir

darkfenrir said:

Actually.. interesting. But it'll probably change the whole battle thing, although third person might work better, I noticed that it'll be really hard to avoid certain moves in this kind of view... and bulbasaur that is slow is actually pretty fast there.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This was very well done in my opinion. Never thought of what it would look like from their eyes.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Lots of Pokémon aren't cute at all though, and that battle looked much more violent than what we see in the games.

Mizore

Mizore said:

...Meh, I could see third person real time battling for the series, but first person just looks....weird. Also, voices are annoying. xD

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Boo! Boo! Bulbasaur should have won! Why does it have to be a Pikachu anyway? Just because Ash's first Pokemon is Pikachu doesn't mean that every single thing related to Pokemon has to include Pikachu as the star! Where's Aipom's shine? Let's make some games like, Pokemon Purple Version, Pokepark: Aipom's Adventure, and Hey, You, Aipom!

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

I'm the kind of trainer that would run out and fight my opponent trainer fist to fist whilst our Pokemon battle. Just to make it even.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

This would be good for that future video game console where it actually puts you into the game, imagine having the body of a Pikachu, along with it's attacks, now that sounds awesome............for the future of course.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Dont hate me,but I just dont get pokemon. I bought pokemon x,its the second pokemon game ive bought to try and get into the phenomenon and it just bores me. Before anyone unleashes a barrage of insults I know im very much in the minority! I wish I liked it,i want to but it just dosnt gel with me for some reason

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

That was fun and very creative. Of course, I'm disappointed that Bulbasaur didn't win.

It must've been a friendly sparring match between Ash's Pikachu and Bulbasaur at Oak's lab (perhaps once Ash returns home from Unova after his cruise through the Decalore Islands), as they have the exact same movesets as Ash's Pokémon currently do in the animé: Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, Iron Tail, and Electro Ball for Pikachu; Leech Seed, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf, and Solar Beam for Bulbasaur. I just hope they don't make a habit of cutting down the trees.;)

Well, Bulbasaur did throw a Tackle in there, but let's pretend we didn't see that, as the animé started moving towards enforcing the move limit during the Johto Arc and was completely enforcing it by the beginning of the Hoenn Arc. That reminds me, man, was Liza an idiot when she had Ash's Charizard forget Seismic Toss, Steel Wing, and I think it was Heat Wave to give him his current lame moveset of Slash, Wing Attack, and Dragon Tail to poorly compliment the ever-present Flamethrower. If I were Ash, I'd be really mad at her and never send Charizard back to the Charicific Valley ever again if that's the kind of training it provides.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I could see that quite a bit of the scene work was "inspired" from the first season anime episode where Pikachu battles Bulbasaur before Ash catches it. It was a lot of fun watching these scenes recreated from a different perspective. :)