Video: Proof That Pokémon + Dubstep = Not Quite As Bad As It Sounds

Posted by Damien McFerran

When Lindsey Stirling & Kurt Hugo Schneider team up, it's super effective!

Classically-trained violinist Lindsey Stirling is no stranger to video games — she's already done several performances based on the themes from famous titles, and has even smashed a few pots dressed as Link from The Legend of Zelda.

With Pokémon X & Y just around the corner, Sterling's latest music video couldn't be better timed. A collaboration with music and video producer Kurt Hugo Schneider, the Pokémon Dubstep remix might sound like a terrible idea in theory, but the end result — complete with cheesy video — is actually pretty damn catchy.

[via youtube.com]

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

The Pokemon games use dubstep in their music a lot...
Anyway, the Anime and the games are separate. I don't even consider the Pokemon Anime Pokemon.

gamingreal

gamingreal said:

I'm a Lindsey fan so i watched this the second i noticed it on youtube, epic as always.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@BlatantlyHeroic That's great that you think that, but Pokemon is Pokemon. Weird.

Anywho, remix not bad, but just keep the camera on Lindsey the whole time. She's all we need to see.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Could you please stop using the "super effective" joke for every Pokèmon related news?
Don't take it badly, but it's getting old. :)

TheHunter

TheHunter said:

Pokemon + dubstep sounds like an awesome combination, not sure why you guys imagine it as a bad thing. That song was barely even dubstep anyways.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

inb4 people whining about the typo ("Pickachu")

I've seen this a few days ago. It's outstanding.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@XCWarrior I know, I know. I'm only allowed to be weird on my own time. XD
Anyway, this was excellent. The anime was fine when it first started, then it became... Shivers

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Apart from one instance of Pikachu being misspelled as "Pickachu" near the middle of the video, that's not a bad remix at all. :)

Jahir

Jahir said:

@Damo Yep, it always makes things worse. Maybe it's not that noticeable in this song but I still couldn't stand that drum and those weird dubstep sounds.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

You want Pokémon dubstep? Go listen to Arion.

Lindsey Sterling is alright, but she's not that great.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Can some one base one of these off the video games once in a while for a change? Its annoying how many times people on youtube choose to work with Ash rather than with the game. There are some amazing pieces of music that could get a remix treatment there.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

Dubstep is amazing and this sounds really good. Many people that think dubstep doesn't sound good aren't listening to the right stuff. There's a lot of generic dubstep out there that's really crappy. But artists like Excision, Bassnectar, Flux Pavilion, and Datsik are phenomenal.

adrenochrome

adrenochrome said:

this is not dubstep at all
it would be like naming "vocoder" 90% of the current cheap music because it use some vocoder effect over voces at some point of the song

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

@Haxonberik I don't understand. Is it you want more game BGM remade than anime BGM, or moreso want things to be Pokemon game based than anime based. (I dunno if th answer's obvious or not, can't watch the video.)

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@The_Mod_MARVEL Both, actually. The video both remakes the anime theme song and shows an intolerably cheesy anime-based short, which I think would be better if they explored the much richer video game pokemon content.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Forgive me, but I'm not seeing how 'Pokemon + Dubstep' sounds like something bad in the first place...? I don't think it's a 'terrible idea' in and of itself at all. I can't say as to how it's panned out here because I'm at work atm, and later on I may feel differently after having seen the execution of this video, but as it stands now I don't see what the big deal is about this having been a decent video to watch. Dubstep does not 'generally make things worse' for everyone, just the people who don't like it personally :/

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

They need to step it up. These dubstep tracks are quite basic and repetitive, to be honest. The genre has far more to offer, folks.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

As NL's self-appointed Lindsey Stirling booster/obsessive, I approve this article's posting. :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@BlatantlyHeroic Now that I might agree with more. Though I wish it was still on Saturday mornings, my kid does not need to watching the crap they have on now for us non-cable viewers.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

MAB

MAB said:

I tend to dislike when people pretend to play a real bass guitar in techno/dubstep stuff when clearly it is made using a computer program like FruityLoops or Reactor ;)