Video: Here's How The 2DS Stacks Up Against Other Handhelds When It Comes To Stamina

Posted by Damien McFerran

How does that 1300mAh battery compare?

Family Gamer TV's Andy Robertson — the man behind our Parent Trap blog — has followed up his initial 2DS battery life test by putting the new console up against a wider range of Nintendo systems — all in the name of science, of course.

As we revealed prior to the launch of the console, the 2DS is packing a 1300mAh battery, which is the same capacity as the one which shipped with the original 3DS.

Robertson laid a variety of Nintendo handhelds out on a table next to a massive clock and recorded the results. Each machine was set to full brightness but was not running any software. 3D capability — where applicable — was disabled in order to allow for a fair comparison. As you can see from the footage, not even a family mealtime can stand in the way of Robertson's testing.

Here's the full table of results:

DSi - 1:02 = 3hrs 12 mins
DS Lite -1:36 = 3hrs 46 mins
3DS - 1:41 = 3hrs 51mins
2DS - 1:57 = 4hrs 7mins
3DS XL - 2:12 = 4hrs 22mins
DS Phat - 2:32 = 4hrs 42mins
GBA - 8:04 = 10hrs 14mins
3DS Mugen -10:43 = 12hrs 53mins
3DS XL Mugen - 11:34 = 13hrs 44mins

As you can see, the 2DS manages to outlast the original 3DS — although this could have something to do with the fact that the newer system's battery will be in better condition.

Are you surprised by the results? Do you think Nintendo should have given the 2DS a higher capacity battery? Share your feelings in the comments section.

mookysam

mookysam said:

I remember my old DS Lite used to last absolutely ages and could be left for days in sleep mode without dying. Good times. I know that the 3DS is much more advanced, but the battery life is still a constant pain. Pokemon Y seems to drain the battery in my original 3DS like no other game, lasting around 3 hours with brightness down to 2. It's a real shame they didn't use a better battery in the 2DS.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

Its only one screen I guess powering one screen requires less power than powering two even if they add up to the same size

cookiex

cookiex said:

Has anyone taken apart a 2DS to look at the single screen yet? I'd like to see how it works.

nilcam

nilcam said:

I'm quite pleased with the battery life on my 2DS. I played Pokemon Y for about 5 hours with WiFi on before getting a red light.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The GBA is that on a brand new one ? (Batteries do degrade not fair to test a 10 year old one against one that is basically brand new).

DimetriWarrior

DimetriWarrior said:

Am I the only one who thinks someone should make a high capacity battery for the 3DS? I mean battery packs are great and all, but I still would like to use my cradle and Circle Pad Pro.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@DimetriWarrior I would like to see one

Which begs the question, is there other battery expansion options without making it so huge like a Mugen Light?

SofaKing

SofaKing said:

Buy another battery for back up? it would be kind of a pain to have to unscrew the back every time your battery needed changing though lol

Falco

Falco said:

I really like the look of the 2ds. If it tips €100 I'll get one.

adamical

adamical said:

Um, is this test accurate with older systems with older batteries? Batteries weaken as they go through many discharge/recharge cycles.

You'd be better off just doing this test separately with each new handheld as it launches.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't releasing a High Capacity battery for the 3DS like they have done for the GamePad. I'd probably buy that before I buy the one for the GamePad.

Also, I still want to see a size comparison between the 3DS XL and the GameBoy Micro.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

He's clearly putting a lot of work into these tests, but they're kind of worthless unless every machine is new. Rechargeable batteries degrade over time, and stuff there's 3 years old is going to last a lot less than a brand new equivalent.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

There are 2 problems with this test:
1 - A GBA SP was used. It has NO Menu Screen/System, so of course it will last the longest.
2 - No DSi XL

Did the Systems with WiFi have it off or on?
It should be off for a fair test as the DS & DS Lite do not have WiFi built in.

I-U

I-U said:

My 2DS lasted around 7 hours yesterday, playing software and using the local wireless for around 3 hours. I've been very impressed by its battery life.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Sorry, but obviously the mugen powered 3DSes were going to be the winners.

Anyway this is not accurate, because many people here are reporting different times already in this few comments.